• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

'88 wagon crab walking

studmuffed

Hey all,

Just picked up a 1988 240 wagon tonight, but my friend noticed that it was crab walking when I was driving it home. My other friends' 240 wagon did the same thing when he still had it. Any idea what the causes and fixes are for this? Hopefully just a 4 wheel alignment?

Nick

There are no alignment adjustments for the rear. You could go put it on an alignment machine and take a look at the thrust angle.

There is probably something bent and/or blownout in the back. Maybe the panhard rod. Or maybe you have soggy old trailing arm bushings and it is popping a big squat.

(Dang... ZVOLV beat me by 3 minutes. Have to type faster!)

Hopefully just a 4 wheel alignment?
"Live" axle in the rear (1 solid piece, not independent) so the only alignment available back there is figuring out which parts are bent, or which bushings are worn out.

** Tasca pic removed for being WRONG. **

Last edited:
That pic is of a 740 rear end. ^^^

Has your 240 been in an accident? It's an old car, so there is a good chance that it has been in an accident at one point.

That pic is of a 740 rear end. ^^^

Talk to Tasca... it's their page.
I thought it looked familiar, but didn't look further.

Here's what they have for a 1990. Better?
04a61b59739d0b9fbc1f6918fcf4bad7.png

And from my 85-87 parts catalog...

85-87-240.jpg

With your front tires pointed straight, use a tape measure to check the distance from the the front tire to the rear tire on one side and compare to the other. You will likely find a 3/4" + difference. This can just be worn out bushings or things got bendy. You can try measuring from the front and rear tires to other fixed points as reference to try and narrow down if its the front or rear that is crooked.

Its usually the rear, and its usually bushings.

Just checked a free vin report site, no reported accidents. And no, the car has not been lowered. This wagon will likely be my new platform so I’ll order some new bushings and see if that fixes the issue.

Thanks for all the replies

Anyone know which specific bushings will cause the axle to be out of true causing it to crabwalk?

Blown out trailing arm bushings will cause the rear end to sag. When the axle moves up or down, it also moves to the side, due to the panhard bar. That's why guys get adjustable panhard bars when the vehicle is lowered.

I would first just start with looking and measuring the distance from the wheel to the fender arch. It should be about the same on both sides.

Back