• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

MikeJr. 65 122s project

I read about this tuning tool called Colortune. It's basically a clear spark plug that lets you look into the combustion chamber and see what color the flame is. Yellow is rich, white is lean, and blue it just right, so they say.
164173063.jpg

Before
164173064.jpg

After
164173062.jpg

Here's a video on how it works
https://youtu.be/xEZ0-uN0NA4

its like an ancient O2 sensor! I remember playing around with one trying to sync Dual SUs when I first put them on. Just remember to remove it ASAP.

It would be neat if you could rig up a camera and view it at different rpm levels out on the road. That way you would know it the needles are correct. Would it get ruined trying it?

It would be neat if you could rig up a camera and view it at different rpm levels out on the road. That way you would know it the needles are correct. Would it get ruined trying it?

It's firing just like a spark plug, so I don't see why not. On a dyno it would be even better. It would also be nice to have 4 of them instead of only one.

It's firing just like a spark plug, so I don't see why not. On a dyno it would be even better. It would also be nice to have 4 of them instead of only one.

Was thinking of all the things you mentioned, but instead going about it the low buck way. Wonder if anyone has tried it?

Of course this is can easily be checked w/computers today.

The car did good for the Mountain meet. I managed to wrestle it around the curvy roads of western NC with no issues. The car can really take whatever you throw at it. The only problem I had was on Sunday morning when we were leaving it was running pig rich. When I would give it gas it would spit and sputter. I stopped and adjusted the mixture to lean it out, but it didn't help right away. I just powered through it and eventually it ran better and stopped sputtering.

Last edited:
Dude, this car rocks! Sometimes I wish mine was MT, my BW-35 tends to act up a lot. I'd be interested in your steering column shroud, if you ever decide to sell.... :rofl:

I'd be interested in your steering column shroud, if you ever decide to sell
I might take you up on that.

Maybe one of the jets was sticky and stuck in 'choke' mode?
Yeah I thought it might be the choke sticking

I love this car, that interior is awesome.
Thanks man

Great work Mike. I really like this car. Do you still have the 164?
I wish! I sold it a few years ago, but I've stayed in contact with the new owner.

I was daily driving this for a couple of weeks leading up to the Mountain Meet from last weekend, but the weather is so nice that I think I'm going to keep driving it. It actually drives better that my 245.

I'm glad you found a good home for the 164. The 122, 140, and to a degree the 164 drive nicer than the newer cars due to that better front suspension. Especially when you have the suspension setup more for sport than luxury. The 164 of course is a bit nose heavy but I was always impressed with how well the older models drive when improved for the street. Great to see you driving the 122 a lot. :nod:

Gave it a long overdue bath today, and it cleaned up pretty good.

Before the trip I cut 2 coils off of the rear progressive lowering springs, but it's still sitting to high. I'm going to cut one more off this weekend. I really just want the front to match the back.

164232249.jpg

Back