• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Wanted: B230F swaps in 140's

Mr.Borrie

The Sneaky F*ing Ukrainian
Its been a while i have been looking at 140's as i decided i hated them after having several. Gave my last 145 actually away to a friend, here lies the problem because i still maintain it.

The B20 is on its last legs and so is the gearbox (i have a good spare one). So i could just ignore it all and wait till it dies but after selling all my project i am now somehow googeling 140's with B230 swaps.

It seems that nowadays there are allot of bolt on things to simply this swap , i have limited time to fabric stuff myself so i would look into these things.

In my head its sounds pretty easy but im sure im am missing thing

Needs to be done:
- Buy engine mount brackets: https://yoshifab.com/store/vintage-to-ohc-red-block-mount-adapter-kit.html
- Swap on carbs manifold
- swap linkadge to cable on the accelartion paddle?
- Cut some hoses to make the radiator fit?

Maybe needs work:

- swap oilpan and pump (or not needed with yoshifab mounts?
- Can you use the headmount distributor?

Does not need work:
- M40 swaps over and no need to adjust driveshaft
- Exhaust swaps over i think

= Profit?

Anyway looking for some cool project (links) that have tackeld this on a budget, no turbo's or crazy stuff just a N/A swap that runs less noisy and broken then the B20 does now

A friend of mine installed a B23F/M46 combo from a 1983 242DL into his wife's old '72 145E many years ago. There should be some photos of the swap on the Brickboard Gallery page. You'll have to go back a few pages to early 2000, though, since that is when he did the swap. Since he decided to leave the engine tilted, he did some custom fabrication of the oil pan, extended the tube for the brake booster to clear the intake manifold, replaced the throttle controls with ones from a '74 model, so the 240 cable would work.

I?ve only ever done the one engine swap and that was a lot more work and hassle than I imagined, before the internet. :-)

Why are you doing it? To do the 145 or to convert 140s and sell on? If it was me I wouldn?t consider either, not your car and with COVID 19 going on classic car prices are dropping like a stone.

For the 145 just source another B20, drop it in and spend your time doing something else. A 145 doesn?t need a B230 unless you?re spending a shed load of time and money on the rest of it. A engine build is a much much easier job than a engine conversion.

I?ve only ever done the one engine swap and that was a lot more work and hassle than I imagined, before the internet. :-)

Why are you doing it? To do the 145 or to convert 140s and sell on? If it was me I wouldn?t consider either, not your car and with COVID 19 going on classic car prices are dropping like a stone.

For the 145 just source another B20, drop it in and spend your time doing something else. A 145 doesn?t need a B230 unless you?re spending a shed load of time and money on the rest of it. A engine build is a much much easier job than a engine conversion.

Oh for the money this isnt the best thing to do for sure.
Purply hobby and i got a junk 740 in one of my garages with a B230F so why not XD
I must agree with you on the COVID 19 too and car value.

There is a reason i sold off almost everything i have, one to get some buffer and second i can buy something back in 1-2 years for half.

Maybe needs work:

- swap oilpan and pump (or not needed with yoshifab mounts?
- Can you use the headmount distributor?

Does not need work:
- M40 swaps over and no need to adjust driveshaft
- Exhaust swaps over i think

= Profit?

Anyway looking for some cool project (links) that have tackeld this on a budget, no turbo's or crazy stuff just a N/A swap that runs less noisy and broken then the B20 does now

You won't need to change the pump or pickup with the slant mounts.

Headmounted distributor would likely not fit a 140 with a fairly short enginebay.

The M40 won't swap over without a custom bellhousing - keep in mind you are putting the engine at a slant mount. An m40 never came in a slant mount and I am almost positive it will not bolt to a bellhousing for a slant mounted transmission. I would look for an M45 or M47.

Also, what year is the 140? You might need some transmission tunnel work but I am not 100% sure. If it's a later one, you should be ok.

I am just starting the swap on my 1800ES [b23f + m47]

Last edited:
There were some M40/41 bellhousings for the later engines. They are as hard to find as the B18/20 M45/46/47 bellhousing, though. Personally, I'd just find another B20B with some SU carbs and chuck it in there.

To me the B20 feels faster in them. Fitting a B230A years ago into a 145 was a wasted effort and I would never bother again. Turbo swap yes but for NA your money would be better spent building a B20

The mistake we made was using the dog dish flywheel. I am fairly sure had we used the flat flywheel the results would have been a bit better but I do prefer to have the original engine. Having a 60's engine that goes very well is more satisfying

Another option would be to install a B20E with a M41 and run it on MSnS... Would give fairly good mpg (or liters/100 km) with better runnability, but without completely changing the car...

The problem with B20 is that they are seldom in good shape. It is easier to find decent B230F which doesn't need renovation. And rebuilding B20 is surprisingly costly.

This was my inital trigger too, I don’t care about original anyway.

Plus I have a 740 (with aw71 though ) junker anyway

Back