• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

G80 240 install

So, I took a few pictures while I swapped a G80 into a 1030 axle.

In Western Canada, when we jack up our cars to work on them, we
think of safety. Tires under the rockers, with some firewood on
top to take out the lash. Traffic delineator to prevent the
neighbours driving over my legs as they are splayed out into the
right of way. Jack handy in case the fire department has to lift
the car off of my chest. Compared to French Canadians, we are a
bunch of pussies:
Safety_First_s.jpg

Yep, that's an open diff.
Open_Draining_s.jpg

I like to measure the existing backlash, in this case, the
backlash was about 0.0075", a little looser than spec. The
bearings had visible wear.
Measure_Old_Backlash_s.jpg

Disassemble the parking brakes, and pull out the half-shafts:
Parking_Brake_s.jpg

Pull the bearings to get the shims out:
Remove_Carrier_Bearings_s.jpg

Weld a little piece of 3/32" rod to the case, that holds down the
flyweight:
Welded_on_bench_s.jpg

Swap the shims, press new bearings onto the G80:
Install_Carrier_Bearings_s.jpg

The passenger side axle is too long, a 3/32" welding rod fits
loosely between the backing plate and the retainer:
Passenger_Side_Axle_Too_Long.jpg

Carefully and slowly trim off 1/8" from the passenger side
half-shaft with a zip disk, taking care to not overheat the
metal:
Gently_Trim_Axle_s.jpg

Wait a minute, why am I using turbobricks tricks on this...
Wait_A_Minute_s...jpg

The axle shaft just fits in the lathe, just. Cutting by hand, you
can feel the case hardening. I used a homemade toolpost grinder to
put a nice bevel on the splines:
Bevel_Axle_With_Grinder_s.jpg

Hammer that sucker back into the pumpkin, and check the backlash:
Measure_New_Backlash_s.jpg

It came out just over 0.005", within spec. I fit the fancy 940
alloy cover. Maybe I'll hook up the VR sensor to my computer some
day for a VSS signal.

Just put it all back together, add some oil, and you are done.
Piece of cake.

Diff Cover Options

Reviving an admittedly old thread here. Finishing up my first G80 swap and have been reading through dozens of posts and threads on the topic.

I'm still unclear on what diff cover should be used. It's a G80, 1031, '89. Tone ring modified to "12". I'm unclear on whether or not the aluminum cover is a must (seems it is) and on whether I need the "earlier late" sender or the "late late" sender. Also just learned there are two aluminum covers? And that determines which later sender? Or does the earlier of the two aluminum covers take my old 240 sender? Any clarification will be appreciated.

Hi , cover .

Reviving an admittedly old thread here. Finishing up my first G80 swap and have been reading through dozens of posts and threads on the topic.

I'm still unclear on what diff cover should be used. It's a G80, 1031, '89. Tone ring modified to "12". I'm unclear on whether or not the aluminum cover is a must (seems it is) and on whether I need the "earlier late" sender or the "late late" sender. Also just learned there are two aluminum covers? And that determines which later sender? Or does the earlier of the two aluminum covers take my old 240 sender? Any clarification will be appreciated.

Hi, I did a g 80 swap in my 92 wagon from a 940. I got the whole bearing set and the cover as well. Both aluminum covers were the same. I believe it will work for you. I didn t have to use mine cause i went gps digital speedo. Good luck
DZ

I swapped in a G80 to my '86 240, cut down the 48t ring to 12 and used the aluminum cover with speedo sensor that mounts with an allen bolt- problem is that sensor has two pickups. My speedo has been bouncing ever since and I'd like to correct it. I have the old steel diff cover and pickup if that is the only answer.

I swapped in a G80 to my '86 240, cut down the 48t ring to 12 and used the aluminum cover with speedo sensor that mounts with an allen bolt- problem is that sensor has two pickups. My speedo has been bouncing ever since and I'd like to correct it. I have the old steel diff cover and pickup if that is the only answer.

PM'd you.

I'm not sure if the aluminum covers are any different but I know that there are two different versions of the pickup sensor, one is deeper and can hit the sensor ring. I spaced it out with a spacer behind the bolt that holds the sensor in the rear and then it didn't hit the ring and worked. Also didn't leak oil out the sensor hole. Other option if sensor hits is get the other shorter sensor.

I'm not sure if the aluminum covers are any different but I know that there are two different versions of the pickup sensor, one is deeper and can hit the sensor ring. I spaced it out with a spacer behind the bolt that holds the sensor in the rear and then it didn't hit the ring and worked. Also didn't leak oil out the sensor hole. Other option if sensor hits is get the other shorter sensor.

Good input, thanks. I just put the sensor in yesterday. Rotating it, could not hear any contact. Haven't gotten it on the road yet, so not sure about speed, but I did swap the leads per John's and Chase's input.

Spent another hour browsing around until I found the videos on the G80's operation so as to determine yes/no on the friction modifier. Looks like no clutches, so it's a no on that.

Back