• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

bad gas

Mr. V

I stopped for gas at a Mobil station for my '82 244 Turbo, as did my wife for her '92 940 Turbo, and thereafter we both developed similar drive-ability problems.

The cars start okay but often (not always) idle roughly, and at low speed acceleration it feels like a series of misses, causing the car to go forward sort of herky-jerky.

Problem mostly clears at higher speeds, e.g. over thirty or so.

No trouble codes on the 849 Turbo.

I am assuming we got a dose of bad gas, and am trying to figure the easiest way to drain the tanks.

At Fuel Pressure Regulator, there is a return hose going back to tank...so remove return hose, and insert a longer hose, which the other end is placed in a two gallon plus gas can. Engage fuel pumps....be nice to run a battery charger at same time while draining.

When you get some gas out, try pouring some into a tall clear glass. Let it settle for a while and then closely look to see if a layer of water forms at the bottom. If so, that gas station has water leaking into the underground tank.
Dave B

Or, alternatively, put some 'Heet' in the tank - it's ethanol (and some other stuff) and can help absorb the water and carry it through the system in a less disruptive fashion.

But it does sound like water to me as well.

Heet is 99% isopropyl alcohol, which is good. Don’t add more ethanol, problems when it’s older and isopropyl does a better job of clearing moisture.

The red bottle, Iso-heet Is the best for water in gas.

Last edited:
Back