• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Blue 242

For those who have gone the truetrac route, does it do strange things in reverse? this thing seems to jump around on engagement going into reverse (far more so than going forward). if I can slip it in quick, it'll behave but if I'm turning (backing out of a parking space, for instance) it does all kinds of crazy things... is that a pre-load deal where it's binding both axles like a locker/spool?
Not that I recall. I always felt like it behaved as an open diff up until it started providing 2wd. Never sudden or clunky.

nothing further on that reverse deal, I'll work on that over time. ordered the 8v runners and a fuel rail for the kl racing intake I picked up, that'll be an interesting back to back comparison with the stock intake some time this fall (hopefully). Car is otherwise running fairly well, put more fresh e85 in it and it's doing well. the broke arm hasn't slowed me down on this yet, since I wasn't planning on diving into the a/c and heat until later this fall when it's not miserably hot in the shop (so much for buying new house units back in june, none of them have shipped yet :-/ )

Played with the car on the rollers this weekend (because why not), mainly working back in the "hot" tune and undoing most of the corrections that happened when the injectors were gummed up (and again, why not), and mucked with the boost control.. which is suspect at this point unfortunately. Works great up to around 18psi, then after that the weak wastegate makes it very difficult to keep the boost up from roughly 4500 out to 6k (the meat and taters of your average 8v powerband). it does behave differently on the street by a little bit, but still not as consistent as I'd like.
Whenever the turbo comes off I'll probably re-do the downpipe and plumb in an external gate or something along those lines.

Set the new intake manifold up on there to get a rough idea of how that'll lay out... it's gonna require... some changes. Still, looking forward to that.

Interested to see the numbers on the manifold. I've done a same day, back-to-back on my car with a stock intake and the Nathan plenum and it certainly feels like a complete game changer over 4k

looking at pics, the 8v runners look to be longer than the 16v runners, so I may be ok (at least for now lol) on the power steering, we'll see.

bottom half is here, along with the fuel rail. woohoo! still a while til the swap happens (need to sort out what has to change, probably have to get an aftermarket throttle cable-nbd, intercooler piping will get changed up, etc), but the rest of the stuff needed is either local or amazon so it should come around fairly quickly.

I've got a cleaned up 530 head with big valves and stiff springs with a v16 cam if you decide to keep it 8 valve.

Haven’t been around in awhile but super excited to watch your build when it happens.
I’ve been resurrecting a Manx style buggy.

Hope all is well in your world.

boy lack of updates drives home the busy. geez.

anyway, as stated in other threads this car is slated for a bit of a makeover in 2023... if I can ward off the wife (she's not mad about car projects, she's just trying to usurp all of my free time directly and indirectly with some sort of bizzare post-covid FOMO hangup)

the cam gear is going to get stole-ded and swapped on to BPU (because square tooth), if I can work it out, I'll do a comparo with the oe intake manifold and the kl racing one... the comparo I've been talking about for what appears to be about 2 years now... :oops:

after that, it's 16v time, because why not. gives me something fun to put the gold car's 2.3 in, and should suit the nature of this car.. with the wick turned way down of course relative to what it was doing in the gold car. At least for like a week or something 😁

will have to eventually address the elephant in the room on the car: the t5. not a fan. the cd009 has a lot of appeal having driven a few.. but the ratios are crap, so that would be obnoxious.. I'll work on getting the clutch setup bled better and aligned better and see if that corrects the notchiness of the box that's in the car, but it's kinda frustrating to drive compared with other manual trans setups I've had (including other t5's) over the years. the evo was nice, the R is nice, hell sam's truck is nice (which.. iirc.. is a cd009 or something very similar lol). Sam maintains it's the clutch.. but the abruptness of it is not what irks me, it's the rowing gears or lack thereof. Anyway, that's on the back burner for the moment.. when I've got the car to a point where I can drive it whenever, I'll start worrying about that aspect. currently I need to pull the dash out and R&R the heater core, probably the fan motor, and... well actually, just swap in the late 1992 hvac stuff I've got on the shelf earmarked for this particular project. we'll see how far things get, but this ranks pretty high on the list of desirables for the year.

alright.. more updates!
finally got the car tagged (have to admit, a lot of my trepidation was tied to not having a title for it-as alabama will no longer issue titles for cars over 35 years old. I had the requisite paperwork, but still, hard to get past a lifetime of certain tendencies), so it's officially on the road again.

Will need new tires soon, but that's no surprise. what really needs to happen is the black wagon needs new shoes all around and the eikers need to go back on the blue car. one of these days.

Did the routine maintenance stuff as well, changed oil, fixed a few odds and ends with the breather setup (one hose came off down on the block, no media in the catch-can to help catch oil vapor, had to adjust the oil cap a bit, think I'd spaced it out years ago when I used it briefly on the R before doing the whole pcv deal on that), looked at some other problems. Front grommet on the brake master leaks, need to get some new ones and bleed the brakes whenever that goes down(no pun intended).

after topping it off with ~9 gallons of fresh e85 it is apparent that it also needs a new set of spark plugs, so I'll be doing that.
for SE, I'm tentatively planning to put it on bigs and littles.. as much to see how that works as for the shens (And also.. to have a chance of running a halfway decent time with it as slow as it seems to want to shift).

Then it'll be fix the heat and update the a/c time (i.e. engine and dash out experience, update to 92 vintage stuff) as well as 16v time. I want this to be as daily-able as the black wagon when the dust eventually settles.

slapped a new set of plugs in the car, probably didn't need them.. turns out one of the coils was flaking out. swapped that guy out too, car starts easier. haven't run it around the block yet (rain), but will shake it down in the next couple of days and probably insert it into some of the dd duties at least before it gets too hot to not have a/c

both bpu and the blue car appear to have fueling issues.. the 242's problem is likely incorrect cam timing, hopefully not something clogged up, its running fairly well just suddenly lean in boost at higher rpms. could also just be a byproduct of the old e and the new e, so I'll see if this problem gets worse or clears up with use (and in the mean time, add fuel. it did look like I'd pulled a wad out up top, so it's possible something else was previously going on)

bpu has decided to spring a leak somewhere, and is missing several gallons of fuel (it ran out as I pulled onto the lift. so... that was opportune, but.. it's still outa gas lol)

Back