• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

84 240 Turbo Clutch Kit

golddayton101

I?m ordering my clutch kit this week and wanted to know if I can use a Sach kit for a 700 series turbo and just use the Pilot/Throwout bearing off of a 240? I remember reading a thread years back about other options like an Rx7 or Saab kits.

You can use a 740 turbo disc and pressure plate with the 240 throwout bearing only if your car has the dished flywheel. If you have a flat flywheel turbo car. Then you need a clutch to match up to the flat flywheel.

However, the dished flywheel bolts on without modification so that is an option so you can use the 740 turbo clutch.

Yes, as Ken points out. There are certain parts that were installed along with the bigger flywheel. Is your car a factory intercooled car?

The factory intercooled car has a small bracket for extra relays just in front of the battery. If so then you probably have the lager flywheel in there.

I've looked at the front of the battery tray a didn't find any extra relays. I did find out that the intercooler was retro-fitted in 87' so it's not a factory intercooler car. Would it be safe to say that the standard 7XX m46 turbo clutch kits will work with no problem?

That would mean it's been retrofitted and should have a flat flywheel clutch setup. I would recommend getting a dished flywheel and clutch setup which hold a bit more power than the stock flat flywheel turbo clutch. Mine didn't last very long when I intercooled my car and upped the boost to 10psi.

BTW the build date is on the drivers door.

Last edited:
That would mean it's been retrofitted and should have a flat flywheel clutch setup. I would recommend getting a dished flywheel and clutch setup which hold a bit more power than the stock flat flywheel turbo clutch. Mine didn't last very long when I intercooled my car and upped the boost to 10psi.

BTW the build date is on the drivers door.

I have a flat flywheel clutch setup from South Bend Clutch that's good for 330ft.lbs. I do have a T5 swap but I'm sure they can come up with something for a factory trans.

Edit, I would support STS with above setup though, they make some cool stuff for our cars

Back