• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 BC Coilover Rear Springs

StreetForged

I've had BC coilovers for a while now, and it was a nightmare to get the rear end to ride properly. The car has a pretty big rake, because the car literally bounces like a trampoline if the rear struts are bottomed out or the dampening setting is below 25/30 clicks. Intuitively, it seems like the lower you adjust the strut, the more preload would be placed on the rear spring, as it sits at a further pivot point behind the strut itself. I had to adjust it 4 times to get it to the best compromise of ride height and being able to hit bumps without bouncing or hearing knocking sounds on rebound (likely the strut topping out due to the ridiculous rate and preload)

BC only sells the kit with 6k 6k front and rear, which is a really bad design choice, due to wanting a lower rate on the end of the car that has less weight. The rears are a V-barrel design, so its very hard to find replacement springs for the car. I want a spring that's about an inch shorter, and somewhere around 5k rate. Is there any place anyone is aware of that would sell something like that at an affordable price?

This has had me thinking about heating the top coils on the springs to drop the car about half an inch to an inch, also dropping the rate and stopping the preload issue in the meantime while I try to find a better way of solving this problem. I was also considering cutting a coil off, but I don't like the idea of having a sharp, angled spring end that won't seat properly on the frame. The 240 coilover kit was definitely an afterthought that went through very little to no testing when it was made, and it's really disappointing to even be considering these hacky solutions so my car both looks and rides right.

You can get a setup like this,

993611_10151583932217857_1537719992_n_1024x1024.jpeg

here

https://www.bneshop.com/collections/240/products/rear-adjustable-spring-perch-mount

and here

https://www.bneshop.com/collections/individual-components-parts/products/eibach-5-od-springs

The BC stuff is pretty bad for many of the reasons you are realizing.

Its almost like the people at BC have no idea about how to setup a suspension and how a RWD Volvos suspension works.

Haha hey Ben, already have your panhard bar, axle bushings, and quick steer kit. This may have to be the route I go.

I've never removed the top perch. Do you think the adjustable BC perch I already have would also flip and mount properly? I'm assuming both should be designed for a 5 inch spring.

With a 6 kg/mm (~350lb/in) spring in the front, you'll want something in the 3k-4k range (170-225 lb/in) if the spring is in the stock location.
6K is WAY too high.

I've had BC coilovers for a while now, and it was a nightmare to get the rear end to ride properly. The car has a pretty big rake, because the car literally bounces like a trampoline if the rear struts are bottomed out or the dampening setting is below 25/30 clicks. Intuitively, it seems like the lower you adjust the strut, the more preload would be placed on the rear spring, as it sits at a further pivot point behind the strut itself. I had to adjust it 4 times to get it to the best compromise of ride height and being able to hit bumps without bouncing or hearing knocking sounds on rebound (likely the strut topping out due to the ridiculous rate and preload)

BC only sells the kit with 6k 6k front and rear, which is a really bad design choice, due to wanting a lower rate on the end of the car that has less weight. The rears are a V-barrel design, so its very hard to find replacement springs for the car. I want a spring that's about an inch shorter, and somewhere around 5k rate. Is there any place anyone is aware of that would sell something like that at an affordable price?

This has had me thinking about heating the top coils on the springs to drop the car about half an inch to an inch, also dropping the rate and stopping the preload issue in the meantime while I try to find a better way of solving this problem. I was also considering cutting a coil off, but I don't like the idea of having a sharp, angled spring end that won't seat properly on the frame. The 240 coilover kit was definitely an afterthought that went through very little to no testing when it was made, and it's really disappointing to even be considering these hacky solutions so my car both looks and rides right.

change them or get Ben's but i never would heat a coil!

I didn't want the BC 6kg rear springs on my white 245 because they seem way too hard. They do offer a generic coil version with adjustable mount and chose a 4kg. You need to only make a new upper perch to keep the spring centered. Still the BC rear shock sucks(mostly adjustment) and I would change it to something better. But it'll do for now.

That's all the information I think I'll need, thanks guys! A lot more simple than most of the problems this car gives me, haha.

BC basic coil seems to have a 2.44" ID. Might be close enough to fit a 2.5" coilover perch? Or other way round, BC perch might be good for a 2.5" coil?

I suppose 200/700/900 BC rear spring small end is 2.44" and big end is the same as stock. But they offer rear spring that fits directly with one stiffness only, no other options. That's why you have to replace the stock perch if you want to have a coil with same size ends.

Back