• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Mixing coolants

Elvolvito

So I noticed that my coolant has been running low on my ?88 244. It currently has a light green coolant on it & I was wondering if I could just go to the store & buy another light green coolant & top it off with that? I don?t know exactly what coolant was used originally because I?ve only had the car for a couple months. I?m only assuming it?s safe to add more of the same color coolant. Is that safe to do?

Probably would work ok, but if you don't know when was the last time the coolant was replaced, it would be better to flush and refill with fresh. Coolant doesn't last forever, regardless the color, and the damage can be difficult to repair. Internal engine corrosion, headgasket, heater core, etc.

OAT or HOAT? That is the question. Those two don't mix well.

Going by color works well. The GREEN old car antifreeze contained silicates (sand) that was intended to keep the iron block clean of rust. Just stay with GREEN.

IAT (Inorganic Additive Technology) Silicates Original Older Vehicles GREEN

OAT (Organic Acid Technology) Organic Acids Dex-Cool? GM, Saab, VW ORANGE

HOAT (Hybrid OAT) Silicates & Organic Acids G-05?Ford, Chrysler, European
YELLOW

HOAT (Hybrid OAT, Phosphate-free) NAP Free G-48 BMW, Volvo, Tesla, Mini, others
TURQUOISE

P-HOAT (Phosphated HOAT) Phosphates & Organic Acids Asian Vehicle
Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Hyundai, KIA & other Asian vehicles PINK / BLUE

-OAT (Silicated HOAT) Silicates & Organic Acids G-40 Mercedes-Benz, Audi, VW, Porsche, others
PURPLE

Back