• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

tfrasca's 142 Turbo Project

I love the radiator. I still haven't found a solution that i'm "happy" with.

Thanks,

Thanks. It took me a while too, but I like this one now that we got the filler neck on it. I didn't want to run a full size expansion tank, so now I'll just run a smaller overflow/recovery can. Still not sure what to do about the cover/shroud piece, but I'll figure something out.

Your project is shaping up nicely, by the way!

Thanks. It took me a while too, but I like this one now that we got the filler neck on it. I didn't want to run a full size expansion tank, so now I'll just run a smaller overflow/recovery can. Still not sure what to do about the cover/shroud piece, but I'll figure something out.

Your project is shaping up nicely, by the way!

I think I may have found something for that... Give me a little bit...

Thanks,

Some great info here:
https://ozvolvo.org/discussion/5572/1963-volvo-amazon-t5/p1

This guy made his own. Do you have that option with the 140?

That's pretty sweet. It looks like he re-did the whole radiator support, but I only need to address the top cover. I punched holes in my upright support for the IC and oil cooler lines, so most of it is good to go. I'll take some more photos of what I mean later.

Got some more stuff done today.

• Found an air filter that will work
  • Installed all my hot side IC pipes that Noah welded last week
  • Ran my PCV from the stock box to the pre-turbo pipe. No catch can, but this should work fine.
  • Test fit turbo coolant lines, still need to paint the hard lines
  • Put 4 quarts of break-in oil in it and spun the engine a bit to prime the pump and confirm starter/wiring works
  • Got hardware for the radiator top cover, so my IC and radiator are solidly mounted

Last edited:
I've gotten a lot done on the 142. I'm still waiting on the manifold, so it doesn't run yet, but it's at the point that it should fire up as soon as I get that last piece.

The fuel tank ended up being a project in itself, mostly because I made it more difficult than it needed to be. I wanted some amount of baffling, so I had the tank boiled and cut it open to see what I was dealing with. The pick up was tiny, about 5/16" at best, and there was no return at all, since mine is an early carb tank. Still, the tank has zero rust and I didn't want to make a fuel cell or have fuel lines coming up into my trunk.

I had a spare B20 oil pan with a Hi Performance trap door baffle in it, so I cut that out and fashioned a fuel tank baffle out of it.

Then I made the fuel pickup out of 1/2" tube, connected it to a 1/2 NPT bung, and welded that in. The return is basically the same thing, only with 5/16" tube and 1/4 NPT.

Once the baffle, pickup, and return were welded in, I made a patch out of a piece of 16ga mild steel and a piece of the tank I cut out. I migged everything up, and took it to the radiator shop for pressure testing and sealing. Turns out, nearly all my welds leaked a bit (not surprised), but they brazed over them and the tank tested fine.

For the pump, I got a 140e pump bracket and modified it slightly to fit between the tank and the passenger butt cheek. I put a stock Bosch main pump in the bracket, and found a cheap pre-pump filter to run inline, since I couldn't put a filter sock on the pick up in the tank.

All that work in the trunk made me hate looking at the giant Deka that I had mounted back there to give me room for intercooler tubing up front, so I bought a PC925 and made a tray for it to go back in the engine bay.

That's it for now. I'm hoping to see the manifold next week, then I can figure out what fuel rail to run, hook up fuel lines and fire it up. Still shooting for Davis, but it's getting close...

Last edited:
Back