home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 07-09-2015, 08:51 AM   #351
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Getting pillar trim on helps it feel a little more like a "normal car", I found.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #352
The Full Banana
not yet good enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff240 View Post
Sits really nice from a looks point of view. I'm still on the fence about the BMW wheels, but at least I don't hate them. Some bumper trim or shave and tuck would finish it off as that's the only thing that stands out as unfinished to me. Otherwise it looks great.
Thanks! I'm in a similar position on the BMW wheels. I hated them at first, but they've been growing on me. The BBS RC I had on the car previously are being professionally refinished right now, and Falken RT615k are on the way for them... so they'll probably go on soon, at least for fun driving, and perhaps use the DS1 with the Michelins for longer trips. Not sure.

I completely agree about the trim situation. I've been avoiding it while sorting out other things that I notice from the driver seat. I have a nice set of turbo bumper trim for it, but it didn't seem to line up correctly with the bumper... so I'm not sure why that would be (the hockey sticks sit about .75" above the bumper).

Perhaps the bumper is mounted incorrectly or I have the wrong brackets? I will post pictures, but I'd love any advice about what I'm missing there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
Getting pillar trim on helps it feel a little more like a "normal car", I found.
Yeah, it's really nice getting all of those details in place. Makes such a difference, and it's such fulfilling, simple work.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:38 PM   #353
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Could be toy bumpers on 86+ mounts?

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it

Last edited by Harlard; 07-09-2015 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: inaccuracies
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:59 PM   #354
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Full Banana View Post
Perhaps the bumper is mounted incorrectly or I have the wrong brackets? I will post pictures, but I'd love any advice about what I'm missing there.
Are you using the oblong trim holes for the commando rubber filler piece for your clips?

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna support?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:13 PM   #355
The Full Banana
not yet good enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by harribert View Post
Could be toy bumpers on 85+ mounts?
Is 85 the changeover? If so, dammit. I picked up side brackets (bumper to fender) from an 85 figuring 86 was when they changed (the shell didn't have any when I got it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Are you using the oblong trim holes for the commando rubber filler piece for your clips?
If I am understanding correctly then, yes, I am. Are the trim holes in different locations in commando bumper fenders versus skinny bumper fenders?
The Full Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:52 PM   #356
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Do you have a 83-85 front bumper or a 86+?

All of the body mounting holes for bumper trim and side bumper mount are different on -82 versus 83-85 so you will need to drill all new holes.

86+ bumpers seem to mount slightly lower than the 83-85 bumpers.

You'll have to use that basic info to look at your car and figure out what's going on and how to fix/adjust it to make it work.

-Patrick
Tuff240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:01 PM   #357
The Full Banana
not yet good enough

I had assumed it was a 83-85 bumper but now I'm not sure. Thanks for the info, that's a big help. Now I need to decide if I'd prefer to shave and tuck the bumper or do some drilling and mount that trim.

Decisions, decisions...

Last edited by The Full Banana; 07-09-2015 at 05:13 PM..
Old 07-09-2015, 06:06 PM   #358
2fast242gt
Do you have a cobalt?

It has an 86+ front bumper off a 91 wagon and an 83 rear bumper if I Remember correctly, it was the best set I could find at the time when I ditched the comandos.
2fast242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:17 PM   #359
Tuff240
240 Ninja

The way to check for sure is the 83-85 aluminum reinforcement is flat and the 86+ is stepped and the bumper shocks are offset to match the step.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:21 PM   #360
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

If you have it, the front commando trim is passable with an 86+ bumper, better than nothin. I think you end up with an exposed hole on the fender if you put the skinny trim on? I haven't put my skinny bumpers and trim up to check yet.

Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:29 PM   #361
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
I think you end up with an exposed hole on the fender if you put the skinny trim on?
No, you can cover all the commando trim holes with skinny trim.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:26 AM   #362
2fast242gt
Do you have a cobalt?

Quote:
The way to check for sure is the 83-85 aluminum reinforcement is flat and the 86+ is stepped and the bumper shocks are offset to match the step.
It for sure has a 91 front bumper, when the 242 was mine it was swapped off of a 91 wagon. The rear was off an 83 at the junk yard many many moons ago, like 2006.
finding toy bumpers is hard... you'll probably have to modify the shocks or maybe find someone on here to sell a set. I too had/ have turbo trim but never installed it because of the gap problem on that car, I never really put it as a top priority as I always had something else taking priority on that car.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:54 AM   #363
The Full Banana
not yet good enough

Captain's log: 12,202 miles since first drive.

Justus (justlie) and I drove the car up to Eurowerks car show in Minneapolis this weekend. After continual sorting of things all over the car, it's starting to get there. The car was great, and they even gave me two awards: "Sleeper" (chosen by local PD) and "Broadway Auto Tech's Favorite" (awarded by a local shop that sponsored).

...and another photo someone took when we were driving around before the show. I took the trim off while driving because I was paranoid about it falling off on the drive up)

Last edited by The Full Banana; 07-28-2015 at 02:10 AM..
Old 07-28-2015, 02:03 AM   #364
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Congrats on the awards, buddy! They are very well-deserved!
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:16 AM   #365
The Full Banana
not yet good enough

Thanks, Harald!
Old 07-28-2015, 02:17 AM   #366
Tuff240
240 Ninja

I really like that beefy looking strut brace bar.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:10 AM   #367
Miah94
Board Member

Very nice look man, thats enough to make me want to take my stickers off my GT.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:48 AM   #368
Josepilove
Board Member

most of the pictures of your car have a chameleon audi in the frame...are you foreshadowing to your new paint scheme?
Josepilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:52 AM   #369
adomz
Volvo 486 owner :D

Love the way it all looks! Good stuff!

=->Adam's youtube channel<-=

adomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:32 AM   #370
2fast242gt
Do you have a cobalt?

Glad the brace fits now, I don't think it Cleared my ls, did new motor mounts allow it to fit?
Tuff, it's a group a replica done by (the asperator) it was an old group buy a while back. Roger dee also made some iirc.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:39 AM   #371
kimove
Board Member

The car looks awesome, congrats on the prizes

What is that tank looking thingy that is right beside your air-filter ?
Old 08-10-2015, 01:33 AM   #372
The Full Banana
not yet good enough

Quote:
I really like that beefy looking strut brace bar.
Thanks, I really like how it sits in there, despite how tight it was with the fuel rail on this intake manifold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast242gt View Post
Glad the brace fits now, I don't think it Cleared my ls, did new motor mounts allow it to fit?
Tuff, it's a group a replica done by (the asperator) it was an old group buy a while back. Roger dee also made some iirc.
I'm still using the the OE Volvo diesel 240 mounts (and I'm quite happy with them). I bought a set of Yoshifab strut tower reinforcement plates and stacked them beneath the brace in order to clear the fuel rail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimove View Post
The car looks awesome, congrats on the prizes

What is that tank looking thingy that is right beside your air-filter ?
Thanks! That's my secondary oil separator plumbed between the factory PCV outlet and my intake pipe. I'll also be plumbing the Yoshifab oil cap into it as soon as I can get them to ship me the fitting for it.

Catching up with a few other updates.

A few weeks back I pulled apart the PCV system to see if it was clogged or if there were any other apparent issues. I had the dipstick push out twice, and some oil was being pushed out around the filler cap.

As it turns out, the filter in the Provent gets pretty clogged up with blowby goo and is near impossible to clean. Under advisement of Homer, I removed the filter element and reinstalled everything after giving it a good thorough cleaning. This made an immediate improvement.

A bit later, I took the car in to have it aligned at a BMW dealer. I've put this off for way too long. As you can see, the alignment was pretty awful. It feels good now, but I still need to get a lot more caster out of it than you see here. That might be a next-year thing.

Before:

After:

I got new tires! Falken RT-615K in my favorite size--235/40R17. Thanks to both parties involved. These are fantastic so far. Grip, noise, and basically everything about them has been excellent.

I put the wasted spark back in, and it's running well. I had this in briefly last year but removed it before the iPd trip when I was running into issues. The problem ended up being a bad EZK box. Everything seems pretty happy now with it in. The car definitely runs smoother and feels a lot more refined than it did previously, which is what I wanted more than anything.

Just before my trip to Missouri, the seat support diaphragm tore in the driver's seat. I pulled it out and found this:

It should look like this (the good one I stole from the passenger seat temporarily):

And the passenger seat got this treatment so it could be usable for the trip to Eurowerks in Minneapolis--and while waiting for a seat webbing retrofit kit to arrive (I have the kit now, but haven't installed it yet)

When I got home from Minneapolis, I noticed a couple drips of coolant on the radiator support... After further investigation, I found that the radiator end tank had begun seeping at a seam, and one of the fittings developed a hairline crack due to the MAF sensor bouncing on it.

I debated what route to take, but ultimately decided to upgrade to a 92+ 940 NA radiator for more cooling capacity. While not a major undertaking, this was a little more work than expected.

Step 1: Buy 92+ 940 NA radiator and accompanying upper radiator hose.
Step 2: Cut off these plastic standoffs on the bottom of the radiator end tanks. Also trim the drain cock (or drill a hole in the radiator support for it)

Step 3: Fold the bottom core tabs flat (I gently used a deadblow hammer to do this.)

Step 4: Remove 240 turbo oil cooler to be relocated at a later date.
Step 5: Install radiator. Bend up slam panel as needed to fit while tightening down top brackets (this radiator is taller than the 240 radiators).

Step 6: Trim coolant reservoir to radiator hoses to fit.
Step 7 (for me): Get a silicone elbow with longer legs to reach around the larger radiator.

Step 8 (for me): Rework the intake pipe because the expansion tank hose now connects right in the middle of the radiator where the intake used to run. This was annoying. In the process I stepped up to a 1" PCV return on the new intake pipe, to match the Provent.

Step 9: Make a bracket to secure the air filter and intake pipe.

Step 10: Install a uncut 940/960 efan shroud that is made to fit this radiator (I haven't done this yet)

Previously, the intercooler had only been mounted by two posts on the bottom about 16" apart. While I had the radiator out, I decided it was high time to add a bracket to the top as well.

...and another picture from Eurowerks to remind me that someday I need to make the exhaust not look terrible from the back of the car.

Last edited by The Full Banana; 08-10-2015 at 08:09 AM..
Old 08-10-2015, 07:50 AM   #373
dopski
Board Member

Looks great!
I'm working on a carb to lh2.4 conversion + wasted spark as wel. Do you have pics of where you mounted the ecu s and coil?
dopski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:03 AM   #374
The Full Banana
not yet good enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopski View Post
Looks great!
I'm working on a carb to lh2.4 conversion + wasted spark as wel. Do you have pics of where you mounted the ecu s and coil?
I mounted the ECU and EZK to the firewall in the passenger footwell (sorry not picture) and this is where my bracket for the coil bolts up.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:33 AM   #375
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Nice job on the packaging of things, well thought out and it shows. Where's the drain line from the pro-vent go?
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote