• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

242GT 1979 Group C Race Car

Peter...do you have a direct link to the window gaskets(baileys) from that site? I think the part# changed. As you stated they were for a Holden wagon...what year might narrow it down too.

Also...what did you do about the upper rear corner area? Did the new rubber come as a straight piece and you sliced it to fit the upper rear corner?

The link on the page/post of this thread page 4 takes you to their website. Yes part number has changed but pretty sure it was for a HQ Holden station wagon tailgate and if you contacted them with their old psrt number I am sure thay would be able to tell you new one and or confirm. If I was a betting person new part number likely
TGBC1007 but please check with them first before buying.

Yes it comes in straight length and we cut it on angle at top to match for top and knicked the back for the angle on the front rail. When you lay it beside the old one where to knick bits out is fairly obvious from memory. Need to be careful to match top cuts so the top rail rubber lines up with the upright for a nice tight butt up fit with no gap. Not as easy as it sounds.

I did this over 3 years ago so apologies if memory is a little fuzzy.

From watching Gas Monkey they did a Chev 1970’s Kingswood Station Wagon from the 1970’s which was very very similar to our HQ Holden station wagon from same era. Would not be surprised if they may have run same rubber so surely with the amount of Old time spares you guys are lucky to have there would have to be a match.

Last edited:
Thanks mate! That's what I was looking for...I'll have to contact them.

I don't deal with the old 60s-70s American cars...but what I HAVE seen as far as they're rubber seals....is that's there's tons of them...and most aren't remotely close to what you've found.

4:56 gears on way in - It has since all been put back together and diff is now back in car

Thanks to Ian from HiperFauto for source and supply to Australia and in turned up in 5 days which was amazing

f1gxngil.jpg

GDmmShRl.jpg

Car goes for dyno tune Monday to dial in the UTCIS WUR

Our long suffering mechanic Peer at GLT now has two new jobs to finish when it gets back from Dyno - Some of Bens nice bits turned up Friday (1week which was fantastic)

I am doing my best to boost US economy as all parts mentioned on this page sourced from USA.

kW5hkbel.jpg

QC8GB6Ml.jpg

Last edited:
Great to hear

Once this round of work is completed the car has a date in January for a sleep over for a week at a friend of mines house as he sets up race suspension for some big names and he is going to dial it all best he can with the adjustability we have given the fact we cant run coil overs on front nor the fully adjustable strut tops. We bought Bens extra Ackermann adjustment functionality on the roll centre pieces but for moment we are leaving that to pro to sort

Really looking forward to our test day late in January to test and judge the results of the past couple of months work.

This round of work really is the last development we can do so after this it will be down to continued fine tuning of what we have and drivers getting some development of their own

December 2017 - I finally finished rebuilding thread and replacing all non working Photobucket links with Imgur links. A very time consuming process but thankfully now complete.

Approximately 10% of the original photos did not make it into the revised thread due to them being lost in the process.

Photobucket you can crash and burn anytime you like now.

Christmas came early with the call from Peer and Ryan at GLT that she was ready to pick up before Christmas.

Will buy some new inner tie rod ends before it goes to suspension guy for set up for upcoming year. We did not realize but the current inner tie rods have been lengthened and with all of Bens good bits in place the inner tie rods don't have to reach as far as tie rods much more neutral angle instead of reaching for the sky due to lowered suspension and they are likely to have to be wound in more than current limits due to modification.Wheel and front end alignment still to be done as well as using the Ackermann shims from Ben. This will be done in January before a track test and some new tyres

Work was quiet extensive
4:56 gears in diff
Return overdrive to standard functionality
Fit Cometic head gasket and a very minor head skim due to slight warpage. It got a little hot due to fan switch failure and head gasket had just started to bypass in one place
Remove electric fan thermo switch and now switched direct from dash
Fit replacement UTCIS PT
Dynotune
Full spanner check
Fit the Kaplhenke front end bits

Ready for pick up

w0Ck3ZSl.jpg

Offset spherical mounts in position 1 as we run standard spring size

9vlVcC0l.jpg

WRRPZNZl.jpg

Roll centre correction

ZpSqZpCl.jpg

Last edited:
A different look. Standard 14's and dress rims with 185/70/14 tyres

Dont worry its just resting on them while we get new Dunlops sorted.

Front end and suspension is all sorted and just has we thought we were ready to give it a detail in preparation the muffler blew a baffle so the system is off the car and off for a new muffler this week.

Also sourcing a replacement intermediate steering shaft too Coleman racing part number 119-112

CT5YjStl.jpg

mmIPaMVl.jpg

Last edited:
We got to negative 4 and small change. Target was negative 5. Thats the most we can get with what we are allowed to work with.

Will see what it reveals and can dial back if needed.

Last edited:
We are changing from Kumho S700 Slicks 200/580/15 this year to Dunlop DZ03G 215/50/15 R Compound so it will be interesting to see how they feel. We will no longer take wets away with us and the dunlops will be on rain or shine

nE4oGrHl.jpg

Shakedown day today at Lakeside raceway to gauge just how effective last 5 months of fettling has been. Very happy with outcome and we had a very successful test day so its ready for 2018 season commencing with sprints next Weekend at Morgan Park before race meets start later in the year.

Here she is after first outing and tyre data collected. It was a stinking hot and humid day so not a lot of fun in a race suit.

We were running our wet rims instead of normal ones with Kumho V70A tyres before they ran out of date and seeing as though we were uncertain on tyre wear from new front end setup, we wanted to use cheaper tyres if they were going to be sacrificed. Thankfully happy with wear pattern and pressure and heat readings. Our Dunlops have yet to arrive

q7a0ZEMl.jpg

And after our last practice session when the rain commenced and rained out rest of competition day with rolling storms

Xglw66Bl.jpg

Thanks Chris for note and link.

I often wonder interest in adding extra posts as dont want to overkill track photos etc so try to stick to milestones or learnings thsy may interest others.

If we ran longer than 15-20 minutes a race I would be all over something like the cool suit.

Also season is over autumn and winter so it cools off some from the feralness that is our humid summers. Thank goodness

Regards

We dual entered the car in super sprints at Morgan Park Raceway in Warwick last weekend where we have run many times in past so we had plenty of performance history in lap times to measure current set up and 5 months of work against.

We did 13 sessions over 2 days and the car ran like a train for 12 of them before developing a fuel supply issue which we have since diagnosed as a blocked fuel suction hose and pre filter due to foam in fuel tank breaking up. Our bad on missing change out more regularly to avoid such simple fault. It cost us one run and lap times in 13th run but hate making simple mistakes.

We are also going to change rubber exhaust hangers for chain as we had to replace twice over weekend and this needs a permanent fix.

We have also gathered tyre data for 2 different tracks over 15 sessions and we are going to back out some negative camber on right front. Our setup guy just figuring out how much.

The 4.56 diff gears are awesome and we still had some space maximum rev wise in overdrive at fastest part at both tracks so far. They are staying in.

We hit our target time reduction and I am sure these can still be improved on. The result. 3.0 seconds a lap for driver 1 (Kris) and 2.6 seconds a lap for driver 2.

We are very happy with times and the overall drivability of the car as you point it in the corner and it sticks and the drive out is impressive.

I will post a link to some professional photos from weekend when he updates his website

Kris busy at the office

dqIkRHEl.png

Last edited:
Back