• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

242 Build

Pulled the head a couple weeks ago to machine for the injectors. Machined those on the mill at work and they turned out well(definitely the most nerve racking thing I've machined). After that I dropped the head off at the machine shop to have them go over the head and install the 46mm intake valves.

Finnaly finished up the intake manifold today! Initially I tacked the manifold together with my mig a few weeks ago. The welds were actually looking pretty good, but it was a pain in ass process, preheating and having everything PERFECTLY clean. If I could get a bead started then it would weld fine but if it didn't start it was pretty much a green fireball and black crap would form all over the area and melt the tip of the gun and screw up the feedwire (no spool gun). Ended up having a buddy tig it all together (thanks Doug!). Got the manifold back from welding a few days ago and machined the flange flat at work and drilled/tapped all the vacuum ports. Here's pics of the completed manifold:

DSC02476.jpg

DSC02481.jpg

DSC02476.jpg

Also reworked my crankcase ventilation setup. I used my old coolant overflow tank as the separator, cut it open and filled it with course steel wool, welded on ports, and re-welded it back together. Also switched to the older style valve cover with the vent and plumed that into the can and added another line from the can to the intake of the turbo. Here's a picture from earlier today:

DSC02486.jpg

I ran out of gas for my welder today in the middle of working on the intercooler pipe to the throttle body. But I did get most of the vacuum lines run and the throttle body/cable setup. Plan on finishing up the wiring for the throttle position sensor and idle valve tomorrow. As well as trying to setup the fuel rail/injectors. Should be have it all together sometime this week.

would you mind posting your ve table? i loveyour car, im looking for a map for fuel and your setup is very close to mine.

Thanks for all the compliments dudes! Hoping to have the car on the road in the next week or so. Been dealing with moving to a new place in town for the past few weeks, and finally almost have a garage again.

would you mind posting your ve table? i loveyour car, im looking for a map for fuel and your setup is very close to mine.

This VE map is from when I was running a K-cam, required fuel of 7.0, injector opening time 1.1 msec, 80lb/hr injectors running at 2.5 bar fuel pressure.

VE.jpg

the car really looks great! love everything about it! thanks for the help btw!

Nice work dave.
I'm going to have to come out and check this thing out again. It's been years.

Thanks dudes! Jacob, I was so close to driving it home for Thanksgiving but my Mom was flipping out(already had a plane ticket). I'm definitely going to be driving it back to KC at some point, I'll definitely give you call.

I got a really really bad ticket (12 pointer, put distance on the FD while doing it though) in the car right after I got it up and running. Thought I was going to lose my license for the next two months, definitely super ****ty, but ended up not losing it(thank god for lawyers and having a good job). I've been driving it with the new intake manifold, 48mm intake valves (already had 40mm exhaust), and the RSI stage II cam since October. With this setup it lost some low end but definitely big gains from 5.5-7k.

DSC02503.jpg

DSC02514.jpg

DSC02508.jpg

I really want to get some low back on the setup though. Having a low compression B21ft, large turbo, big valved head, and a decent cam hasn't helped at all. Then throw on high altitude it really makes the car a dog out of boost. I've got plans to twincharge the car with an eaton M62(have a spare rebuilt one laying around at work, just need to get past the point where they won't need it anymore). I'm starting to move towards doing some software work at work, so I plan on writing the code to control the bypass valve which will be key to making this setup actually work well. The goal is to have the supercharger always be there when there's demand for instant response while actually blowing intercooled air through the turbo compressor instead of dead heading it into another check valve, but be able to back out at a certain boost level at a given engine rpm. The VW twincharge setup is pretty much identical to this, they also run a clutch on the supercharger pulley. The M62 at work has a clutch, so I'll see if it necessary before actively controlling it.

General setup I laid out
General_Layout.jpg

Heading back to the dyno any time soon to see how the new intake/cam/valves are doing on paper?

In your diagram, the air from the sc is going into the turbo inlet/air intake line... what is to stop that air from just going out the air filter instead of into the turbo?

looks very good bud, not sure i would bother with the sc deal though. i do think it would be awsome if you do it! video would be a must!

Back