• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Just Can't Stay Away 1972 142S

You don't need the shaft collars if you mount the little arm on the other side of the carb linkage, up against the bearing (where the collar now is). hehe. I did the same thing when I had a weber kit years ago.

Great car, keep posting.

You don't need the shaft collars if you mount the little arm on the other side of the carb linkage, up against the bearing (where the collar now is). hehe. I did the same thing when I had a weber kit years ago.

Great car, keep posting.

I had to keep rereading and looking at my photo but now I totally see what you mean. The clamp off the little arm would keep the rod in place. Just need to rotate it 180degrees. I will probably leave it as it is until the next time I have to disassemble the carb/intake stuff. With the collars in place many more parts would need to fail or fall off for the shaft to slip out of the firewall.

The original owner spent a whole bunch of money tricking out the stereo in the 80s since she was dating a guy who liked speakers. The fronts are super blown but I didn't want modern looking speakers in there. Yesterday I got the bright idea to pull the old drivers out and put in something new.

Old

New

Done

Will probably do the same to the 6x9s in the rear deck since that was so easy

hey congrats on your wedding and superb build!!!
I always liked that body style since i saw one back in 87 in Puerto Rico.
I am working on a 92 wagon 240 and It might take light years away to finish it at the pace im going with trial and error.
Stay warm as winter is creeping fast here in Windy Chicago
DZ

Must've been a beautiful sight back in '87. I long for the day to see one running and hopefully with a for sale sign! Nowadays they're unicorns.

hey congrats on your wedding and superb build!!!
I always liked that body style since i saw one back in 87 in Puerto Rico.
I am working on a 92 wagon 240 and It might take light years away to finish it at the pace im going with trial and error.
Stay warm as winter is creeping fast here in Windy Chicago
DZ

Last edited:
Big update:

I made the mistake of poking at the rust in the driver's side rocker panel...

What a stupid mistake that was!

It made me really consider my options and after some deliberation I decided to sell the car. I had test driven a Porsche 944 and was convinced this was a good path forward.

There was some interest in Buttercup but no one pulled the trigger.

Tonight I was thinking about my options and realized that I had a third option. I am going to sell the wheels, buy some steelies or virgos and use the difference to start the bodywork or improve the front suspension and brakes.

My dream with the 944 was to drive up to Pebble this year and all around the state. Tonight as I was driving Buttercup around for the first time in a month I realized there was no reason I couldn't do that in the Volvo. It would also be a lot more reliable and easy to maintain myself.

Disaster averted!! I'm looking forward to the next steps and glad I get a second chance.

I have some 15x5.5 164 wheels with good tires. I bought them new from VP when I got the car on the road a couple years ago, and only used them for 6 months or so.

Right on, nice to hear.

You made the right call, Colin! Glad to see that buttercup will live on in your care!

Thanks guys!

I have some 15x5.5 164 wheels with good tires. I bought them new from VP when I got the car on the road a couple years ago, and only used them for 6 months or so.

That is tempting, someone was interested in the Gottis and had the same wheels to potentially trade. If that falls through I would be interested.

Does anyone know if I can use steelies off a 240? They should be fine but 140 wheels wouldn't fit on a 240 if I am thinking about this correctly.

Glad to hear you're keeping her!
FYI - New rockers are available.

Yeah, I know I have seen them on VP and even EBay from time to time. The challenge is that I don't have a welder, grinder or any of the requisite skills.

I ordered all new bushings, tie rods and ball joints for the front end today. The plan is to replace all that, possible raise the front a little or lower the back end more. I also ordered an adjustable FPR from Malpassi for the eventual DCOEs.

Excited to see where this all goes!

Ive got a set of 240 steelies if you want / need to try - loan is free - sale is cheap..

Ive also go some sawblades :) :-P

Back