• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Andrew's 122 turbo project

Well a few years ago I did try to plumb the regulator before the rail so go ahead with the doubting :lol: Fortunately someone pointed it out before I cranked the car.

171406600.jpg

I’ve been busy with work and cleaning out my wife’s old house so we can get ready to sell it. Plus I’ve been trying to find that stupid battery draw in my 142 which is driving me crazy. I dropped off two alternators today to get tested.

I didn’t burn it down...yet. I drove it around the block the other day. Next step will be upgrading brakes (probably going to do what Kyle did for pedals/dual masters). I can’t get a good feel even with the smallest bore master on a single circuit. Doesn’t seem like air in the lines, just seems like a single circuit master can’t push two 4-piston Brembos plus the discs in the rear.

After that I need to get some gauges in this thing. I picked up an extra dash to cut up so I can put gauges in the way I want. Then it just needs some tuning and it’ll be driving.

Last edited:
Sold the house and my 142 which let me start focusing on this car more. I've driven it some and tried to let autotune work on things a little before I seek out some real help with tuning. It seemed like it might be running a little warm so I wanted to start working on getting a better gauge set in the car.

I pulled the dash out to start getting it ready and I needed to swap out wiper motors again anyway.

OZxo626.jpg

Welded up all the holes from things that have been added over the years (radios, gauges, etc) and got rid of the cigarette lighter, choke pull, and giant radio hole that I foolishly cut like 10 years ago.

lg7Cj5y.jpg

I made a quick template and Kyle cut me half of a bezel on the waterjet so I could weld it on and finish the gauge holes by hand.

UlLZ71s.jpg

I looked at gauges for a while and settled on these from New Vintage USA. This gets all of the essentials into two gauges since space is a concern, and they have matching boost gauges for all of their different lines. I really can't say enough good things about these. They are ridiculously easy to wire up (even for me) and include senders. They require a single 12v source and then you just wire your various senders, indicators, and lights. They work with virtually any speed sensor, tach signal, and fuel sender. I used adapters for the oil pressure and water temp senders. Threw some old gauges in the bottom for placeholders until my last ones arrive.

a29JOlK.jpg

I asked Dave Barton to work on a face for my wideband that was a close enough match to the New Vintage faces and this is what he was able to do for me. New Vintage makes a matching wideband gauge but they're analog and I'd really prefer to look down and see a number. Plus I'd have to hide the AEM gauge somewhere behind the dash since it's also the controller.

DUwYzKv.jpg

Gave it a quick test-fit and it seems like it'll all work pretty well and I can see everything clearly through this Momo Heritage wheel I picked up.

UCTLoIA.jpg

Picked up a pair of H4 headlights to replace the old sealed beams and some new buckets since my old ones were pretty rusty. Of course one of the bulbs was bad out of the box so I'm waiting on a replacement before I can adjust them.

QxVyBqG.jpg

My last gauge should be here tomorrow so I can finish up the last few connections and put the dash back in this week.

Last edited:
I've been debating a similar gauge setup in my car. What size did you end up with for the tach and speedometer?

Also those H4 lights are definitely an upgrade from the sealed beams.

Last edited:
The main gauges are 4-3/8”. Accessory gauges are all 2-1/16”. They actually have a line styled more like 60s cars with green lighting that I really liked but they’re backlit and I really preferred perimeter-lit gauges for the old school feel. I’ve tried not to really thwart this car into the modern day, but rather give it a splash of semi-modern technology here and there while trying to keep it in check.

I actually never had a problem with the sealed beams. They were much better on this car than my 142 but I needed to replace them and H4s aren’t really expensive. Plus parts store availability is a nice thing. I may put them on a relay in the future but it’s not a big priority at the moment.

The main gauges are 4-3/8?. Accessory gauges are all 2-1/16?. They actually have a line styled more like 60s cars with green lighting that I really liked but they?re backlit and I really preferred perimeter-lit gauges for the old school feel. I?ve tried not to really thwart this car into the modern day, but rather give it a splash of semi-modern technology here and there while trying to keep it in check.

I actually never had a problem with the sealed beams. They were much better on this car than my 142 but I needed to replace them and H4s aren?t really expensive. Plus parts store availability is a nice thing. I may put them on a relay in the future but it?s not a big priority at the moment.

My sealed beams may have just been spent. When I removed them to clean out the buckets one of them split in half.

Psyched to see progress on this car. I have Speedhut gauges in my 142, but I yours look great too. I can say that having modern gauges that work and don't bounce around makes the driving experience much more enjoyable.

Psyched to see progress on this car. I have Speedhut gauges in my 142, but I yours look great too. I can say that having modern gauges that work and don't bounce around makes the driving experience much more enjoyable.

Yeah I love your dash and some of those Speedhut gauges are pretty sweet. I was set on chrome/polished bezels but I didn’t find many options that I thought were appropriate for this car. There are a lot of like 70s Porsche-inspired gauges out there that are so nice but felt a little out of place for a 60s car that was modeled after a 50s car.

Yeah I love your dash and some of those Speedhut gauges are pretty sweet. I was set on chrome/polished bezels but I didn?t find many options that I thought were appropriate for this car. There are a lot of like 70s Porsche-inspired gauges out there that are so nice but felt a little out of place for a 60s car that was modeled after a 50s car.

That's funny, I started with chrome bezels on my Speedhut gauges but eventually went with black ones. But a 142 is in this weird early 70's era, stylistically, and the chrome didn't seem right. These will look great in the 122.

Did you ever figure out how to make your gas pedal feel better? I?ve invested no time there and it is way too light.

I think I'm in the same boat - no spool linkage and a very light throttle.

I gave the throttle return spring on the body one extra turn and that definitely helped while making the plates and spring fairly challenging to get together. I was browsing springs on McMaster for a replacement or helper but other priorities intervened.

It looks like you already have it but aligning the throttle cable bracket so the cable hits the spool at a tangent also helped the feel.

I think I'm in the same boat - no spool linkage and a very light throttle.

I gave the throttle return spring on the body one extra turn and that definitely helped while making the plates and spring fairly challenging to get together. I was browsing springs on McMaster for a replacement or helper but other priorities intervened.

It looks like you already have it but aligning the throttle cable bracket so the cable hits the spool at a tangent also helped the feel.

Are you using the 960 TB? It?s been a few years but I feel like I tried to wind the spring an extra turn and for some reason it didn?t want to work? I might need to try it again.

Back