• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

S/V/C What to do to my XC90 V8 while the motor is out?

HiSPL

Fanking Champion 1993
So my daily driver (2001 Honda Insight) overheated and blew the HG and probably even more the other day. It has 243k miles on it and I've decided it's not worth the fix.

I have had this 2006 XC90 V8 in storage for a couple years now. I pulled the motor to swap the transmission and never put it back together because life got hectic after my Father In Law died.

I've decided that the V8 will be my next daily. It is in fantastic shape inside and out. It has about 90k miles on the motor and chassis. The only problem was the original transmission blew out the front pump.

I have a new-used trans from LKQ. I have the motor sitting on a stand in my garage. The subframe is completely out of the vehicle.

What maintenance items would you do to it to get another 100k miles fairly worry-free from this truck?

I pulled the motor to swap the trans, because I couldn't work out how to do it in the chassis. Since the motor is out I bought all the gaskets to reseal the valve covers and timing case. They are prone to leakage. I also have the rear main seal and the front seal for the transmission.

What about the angle gear? Should I reseal it? are they known to leak at any point? it is not leaking now. I was just going to do new gear oil and reinstall, but now is the time to do seals if it's warranted.

What about the alternator? Mine works. Should I buy the Reg/Rec and replace that? Maybe get a shop to press in new bearings? My XC90 does not have the fancy heat sheild and ducting. I will try to locate that before reassembly.

Anything else you can think of?

Your list is pretty good. Since you're doing the front cover and all these other common leak places, I would reseal the upper oil pan while you're in there (also a common leak point, and a pain in the car).

You could install new bearings in the alternator I guess.

I wouldn't touch the angle gear. They don't really leak on V8s.

Change the connecting sleeve and the seals around it in the transmission.

Jordan

Thanks dude.

I just keep going down that rabbit hole of "since it's accessible, might as well do this too" which is putting a hurtin on the ol' wallet.

Thanks, but my engine is outside of the "bad" range that shook themselve apart. Basically they needed a drain hole and didn't put one in. Folks that pressure washed their engine bay let water pool up around a sealed bearing until it rusted and fell apart. Then the shaft would start rattling around in it's housing until it seized and tore half the world apart. Those were 2005 engines and can be fixed by drilling a drain hole. Mine is a 2006 and is safe. I don't wash my shizz either, so there's that....

Change the connecting sleeve and the seals around it in the transmission.

Jordan

You're talking about 2, 3, 22, 23, 24, and 25?

My copy of Vida doesn't list a part number for 24.

pWfK39d.png

That a stick shift insight?
If so you can call me the scrap man and I will come dispose of it for you.

I will warn you, it's probably gonna need more than *just* a head gasket. I'm sure the head is warped, but the block might have split as well.

I'd love to do it but space is limited at the moment :(
Good luck with the sale and getting your XC90 going!

I work in Montgomery. That would shave 45min to an hour off of the trip to get this thing! lol .

It is a seriously solid chassis. Especially with the extras I have on it.

There's a dude who just started posting at IC who put a J35 in his and is real close to breaking into the 11's!. Thats a pretty much stock minivan motor too. He's done basically nothing to it.

Our 09 had its PS pump grenade itself and the repair was pretty involved. Depending on your budget, it make be worth it to run fresh lines and replace the pump. I don't remember the details, but it was stupid expensive to have it done.

Our 09 had its PS pump grenade itself and the repair was pretty involved. Depending on your budget, it make be worth it to run fresh lines and replace the pump. I don't remember the details, but it was stupid expensive to have it done.

I've read some of those stories, but since the PS pump is pretty easy to get to I am going to put it off for later. I'me really concerned about the stuff that's impossible to reach when the motor is in the truck. Like the alternator. :roll:

For resealing the oil pan(s) Volvo's chemical gasket is discontinued and some folks are saying just use RTV Ultra Black. Is that fine or would something like Hondabond be better?

For resealing the oil pan(s) Volvo's chemical gasket is discontinued and some folks are saying just use RTV Ultra Black. Is that fine or would something like Hondabond be better?

Not sure what part # you're looking for. Looks like it's still available. But it's $30+.

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/5331/113027-volvo-chemical-gasket-sealer-genuine-volvo-30644517

eeuroparts, some TB threads and mattsvolvosite threads seem to think the Volvo stuff is repackaged Loctite 51x (510, 518, etc) or a very similar anaerobic sealant. Can't find an official source for it though and the few ingredients listed on the material safety sheets are similar, but not identical.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=289411

There are two different "pink stuff" available from Volvo. One is an anerobic sealant that is applied in a very thin roller application (typically used for say, cam cover reseals). The second stuff is discontinued and used for oil pans, tranny pans etc. It was likely that one for the oil pan and showing that is discontinued. Volvo has replaced it with a Wurth RTV product.

Jordan

Back