• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Engine Swap in a 69 142 - What engine

https://dailyturismo.com/3k-suicide-seats-1969-volvo-142-ford-v8/
1a.jpg

Well lookey there!
Thanks for posting.

B230 bottom end (no balance shafts, easier to bolt into a 140), 16V head, keep it olde school with a couple of DCOE's on it.

150-ish hp without doing anything silly to it, you could put some zoomier cams in it and make a bit more.

/\ /\ /\ A B36 would be neat in a PV with the front fenders taken off hot-rod style. (And a narrower radiator shell/nose of some sort)

The AQ180 produced 180 hp, probably a cam swap. The B36 was used in trucks and probably had a low rpm cam in it for stump pulling low end torks, not high RPM Hp.

I have seen the Ford Lima turbo engine installed in an 1800 so I expect that fitting it into a 140 should be 'easier'. I recall that the Lima engine has a fairly low vertical height. If the Lima engine is a little too pedestrian for you, I have also seen an 1800 with a Honda F20 (or perhaps it was the F22) installed in it. Very spiffy installation. The JDM version of the F20 was rated at 247 hp which I think qualified it as the highest specific hp/l output of any production version naturally aspirated engine at the time. The Panigale V4 R snuffs that record; but, the 15,000 RPM redline might not be the hot ticket for street driving.

The JDM versions of the F20 are a little hard to come by. Compared to the K series the F series has the advantage that at least the engine is pointed in the correct direction.

Maybe a Buick 3.8L V6? I bet that would fit in the engine bay nicely. If it is too wide then there is the 60 degree V6. Bolt up a T5 to it and call it a day.

I bet you could get a good V6 or almost any turbocharged inline four of your choosing at any junkyard. An 80's American engine would make parts and transmission adapters easy to get.

Heck, throw a Grand National motor in it.

The 2.8 l V6 from the Chevrolet S10 should also fit with minimal fuss. I have seen an Amazon with one. I don't know whether the T5 transmission was available on the 2.8 l or whether that was on the larger 4.3 l V6 (which also might fit). If you like to flash your numbers, power wise its almost as good as a B20B unless you get the high output versions (125 hp - Wow). However, torque was nice as befits a truck engine.

The 2.8 l V6 from the Chevrolet S10 should also fit with minimal fuss. I have seen an Amazon with one. I don't know whether the T5 transmission was available on the 2.8 l or whether that was on the larger 4.3 l V6 (which also might fit). If you like to flash your numbers, power wise its almost as good as a B20B unless you get the high output versions (125 hp - Wow). However, torque was nice as befits a truck engine.

The 2.8L V6 did come with a T5 at some point. From some googling it would appear they came on the S10/S15 Blazer/Jimmy. Although the shifter will be in a different spot on an S10 T5. Maybe that will line up better with the more forward shifter hole placement on an earlier 140? I know I've been trying to figure out a five speed transmission option other than the M41 that keeps the long shifter.

The 2.8L V6 did come with a T5 at some point. From some googling it would appear they came on the S10/S15 Blazer/Jimmy. Although the shifter will be in a different spot on an S10 T5. Maybe that will line up better with the more forward shifter hole placement on an earlier 140? I know I've been trying to figure out a five speed transmission option other than the M41 that keeps the long shifter.

If you search back 2-3 years, there was someone on Turbobricks exploring this option, specifically because they wanted to retain the long shifter arrangement. I recall that they had done up some dimensional drawings and it was not a slam-dunk. I don't recall the outcome.

All awesome options, thanks, sorry to say it is still sitting, haha, but we do have a $10k T5 build wrapping up in the S40, here:

Ford/Mazda 2.0/2.3/2.5 Duratec/Ecoboost This is what I will run I have most of the parts now :-)

The ford fusion 2.5 is cheap $350-800+ and will work well and a across the pond they make a plug and play ECU that will handle a turbo they also make a T5 transmission adapter to a ford 5.0 bell then you use a cheap 5.0 flywheel clutch setup. or MX5 transmission or Ecoboost mustang 6 speed manual

For the T5 adapter and a bunch or other stuff. They build engines for Sheepey Race Lambo/Audi V10 stuff

One they tested for a friend.

Specs: Stock 2.5 short block
400hp/350ft.lbs.
RWD swap oil pan installed
HD cast iron turbo manifold
Polished turbo w/ internal gate
62mm cable throttle body
2.5L Duratec

it takes around 16psi on this combo to make 400hp so far

These guys do a lot of the 2.5 swaps

A B230FT running LH2.4 with a 240/Dave Barton harness is a pretty easy way to have 180+hp that just runs whenever you turn the key without any messing around.
I did one a few years back for a customer, he daily drives it all summer and hasn't ever had an issue with it. He even takes it out in the winter sometimes, fires up like a stock car (because it essentially is)

Back