• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Door speaker replacement options, 1984 Volvo 244 DL

Frank_Rizzo

I recently blew out my OE speakers from 1983.

I read somewhere that getting aftermarket speakers for the doors is not that easy, since they are of a rare, "thin" type, or something like that.

I personally don't know anything about it but I've found many of your previous tips on getting parts and wiring to be pretty spot on.

Thanks in advance.

Used HT-204 are indeed the best option for "stock-ish" but still affordable front speaker brackets - unless you go custom. The integrated spacer is the big thing as it gets your bigger speaker to fit past the vinyl pad along the top of the door card.

You don't necessarily need to buy the swedish car parts speakers, but lots of measurements and possibly some mount finagling is in order otherwise. Especially make sure the tweeter does not protrude too far or it will hit the grille on the HT-204.

The deluxe option is Kaplhenke 5.25" brackets in the OEM style, CNC machined aluminium, an easier fit for your choice of speaker - $100.

https://www.bneshop.com/collections/240/products/240-5-25-speaker-bracket-and-grill

Wait, that page says the speakers will perfectly replace the OE speakers, no modifications at all.

Replaces OE speakers in HT-204 or HT-205 grilles. Won't fit in the smaller "grid" speaker style (and those are mounted with one-time-use plastic pins anyway)

Use the HT-204/205 style grilles and mount some Pioneer 5.25" coaxials in the grille bases. The tweeters are usually low profile enough to allow use of the stock HT-204 or HT-205 outer grilles. The TS-G1345 or 1347, as well as the 1340R or 1343R speakers are a good choice. Well-rounded sound output. They will only mount with two screws, since the grilles are meant for an odd flange 5" speaker that Volvo used originally in the 700 series, then used in the 240 series starting in 1990. But, they do work.

If you want a 4" speaker, then look on eBay for some 1990s Sony speakers, like the XS-1022, 1028, 102E, etc. Those do use a round speaker grille, but the grille base will fit with only minor deformation. Not enough to prevent the grille net from remaining in place.

The only other modifications needed to be done, will be to the wiring. Aftermarket speakers typically use a .11" terminal for the negative and a .187" terminal for the positive. Factory speakers are .187 and .25, respectively. Luckily, the replacement terminals are available at most hardware stores and auto parts stores.

The grille shown above is for the HT-173 speakers, with a Kenwood 4" speaker behind it, I'm assuming, using the adapter plates that Crutchfield used to sell for the 1978-89 240 series.

Just my two cents worth here. Spend your money on a pair of blue tooth ear buds and just use your phone. Use the dash space for more gauges!

Just my two cents worth here. Spend your money on a pair of blue tooth ear buds and just use your phone. Use the dash space for more gauges!

Illegal in CA and some other states (if you use both ears). And I prefer having the radio available, non-touch controls, ability to hear traffic around me, et cetera.

Plus, if radio is in the stock location, could be dangerous looking at extra gauges mounted there. Stock radio location on a pre-1985 car is by the shift lever. But, yes, earphones, etc, are illegal in most locations.

My V8 2 door wagon has Bertone door cards. Rather than cut the wood veneer that they were behind of I found thin speaker from Retro Sound.

Back