• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Zf trans max power

I can't comment on NA applications, but my Aussie spec '85 760 Turbo originally had one, it had been reconditioned at some point before I got the car, it felt great to begin with when the car was stock.

As soon as I fitted a 3" turbo back exhaust, running about 8psi with no other mods, shifts went from being firm to slipping during shifts, and after a bit of hard driving it didn't last long at all.

It would get stuck in first when cold, if you went down the road and gave it a few sharp stabs of the throttle it would give a big clunk and then it'd shift into the other gears for the rest of the day.

After that it lost 4th, then reverse, then started slipping badly in 3rd and was pretty much undriveable at that point.

When I drained it, to remove it for a manual conversion, the fluid was as black as diesel engine oil, and was so full of metal particles that it looked glittery coming out of the pan.

I will say this: it has been said that the zf can be built to hold quite a bit of power. Over the past 19 years, I've heard of a couple behind higher powered cars, but not much in the way of details as to how to get there. That line of transmissions had a number of running updates continuing after volvo stopped using them, so if OP is married (so to speak) to the zf, someone probably knows what needs to happen to get it to hang around a little longer.

They had a bad reputation in BMW 733/735i as well, but there is an adaptation of that series of trans that was used in Land Rover Discovery 1/2 until the end of the '90's which seems to be fairly reliable behind V8's, so perhaps the Volvo version can be upgraded using later model internal parts.

Speculation only.

Thanks for the replys . I have know about the do not rev for a very long time. Figured it would be good for mpg. Works great at the present time so may be best not to try for more performance.

Back