• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Joined the Beige Club - '78 242DL

I dig it.

Thanks!

...and brown

I really tried to find a brown 242. Only one I found over the last couple years around here was soooo close to being a good one. It was an '83, and the dude selling it was the original owner. He wanted less than a grand for it, but it had an accident a couple years ago and he backyard fixed it and ruined it. All it needed was a new hood and fender and he ****ed it up. Got some parts from the wrecking yard and didn't know how to properly attach stuff so he used drywall screws and rattle canned the parts and got overspray everywhere.

I'm so bringing my car over so you can teach me to paint chrome trim properly :)

Yeah that's right, you want to teach me :-P

Thanks!

I really tried to find a brown 242. Only one I found over the last couple years around here was soooo close to being a good one. It was an '83, and the dude selling it was the original owner. He wanted less than a grand for it, but it had an accident a couple years ago and he backyard fixed it and ruined it. All it needed was a new hood and fender and he ****ed it up. Got some parts from the wrecking yard and didn't know how to properly attach stuff so he used drywall screws and rattle canned the parts and got overspray everywhere.

I hate to tell you this, there was a brown 242 in the jy in boise. No rust, paint in good shape. It's been crushed.

Sad to it go but happy to know it went to a good home. Can't wait to see you get it back on the road again, I know you have good things to come!

I'm so bringing my car over so you can teach me to paint chrome trim properly :)

Yeah that's right, you want to teach me :-P

I will if you want. Not hard really, just takes some attention to detail to do it right. Like all painting, the prep is key. I've done several 240s (grilles/side trim/window trim/etc) over the years and figured out what works best for me.

Just clean it well and degrease it first. Simple Green works well. Next rough the surface up with 400 grit to get rid of any debris and to un-smooth the surface. Next I give it a quick wipe down with acetone then a quick wipe down with a tackrag to get any dust. I use SEM flexible bumper paint. It lays down really nice and easy and has an excellent and durable finish. I used to use Krylon semi flat black but this stuff is way nicer. Better finish and much more resistant to chipping. I don't even bother priming with this stuff.

I've actually even used the SEM paint without proper prep and it still works better than the Krylon did with "proper" prep. Just won't last as long that way.

I hate to tell you this, there was a brown 242 in the jy in boise. No rust, paint in good shape. It's been crushed.

:raincloud: Too bad -- I could have resurrected it and given it new life.

Sad to it go but happy to know it went to a good home. Can't wait to see you get it back on the road again, I know you have good things to come!

I do! Like I mentioned to you earlier -- when it's done you need to come visit it and take it for a spin :)

Nice Cameron. Cool to see the E-codes again. I will follow this project. Good luck.

Thanks! I think the lights from you will be a great addition to this car. Plus they bring some extra coolness since they used to be on your super rad brown 242 :cool:

Oh, also, I got the TR-3 Resin Glaze in the mail yesterday. Did one fender with it last night. It works pretty dang good! Not the overwhelming cat's pajamas that they make it out to be, but very good results for pretty minimal effort. Just did the fender by hand and brought it out to a really nice shine.

The paint on this car is pretty good to start with (minus the hood) so maybe I'm not reaping the "full" benefit of the TR-3 as most the rave reviews I've heard about it are from people that were dealing with really oxidized and neglected paint. Either way, it seems to be good stuff that should bring out a nice shine in the paint.

I just really really really don't like chrome trim on 240s :e-shrug: I think the black trim is a much nicer look. I know chrome is more vintage, but it just doesn't do it for me. All black trim ties the thing together better in my opinion. Otherwise it's "here comes the chrome" when you're looking at it.

"All the dude ever wanted was his black trim back...he's not greedy. It really...tied the car together."

Are you ditching the windshield trim as well and going with the late 240 flush trim? I'm doing the same on my own beige 242 right now, but I pulled the windshield out specifically to fix rust spots around the frame on the cowl. It's amazing how much dirt and crud had accumulated under that windshield trim - it was just holding water like a sponge. Now it's obvious why these older 240s tend to rust in that spot.

"All the dude ever wanted was his black trim back...he's not greedy. It really...tied the car together."

:rofl:

Are you ditching the windshield trim as well and going with the late 240 flush trim?

Yup, new later windshield with the flush trim will be going in for sure but I'm not going to get one installed until it's up and running and on the road. I see no rust spots around the windshield trim as it is so hopefully it's not rusted under there from dirt and water accumulation.

I see no rust spots around the windshield trim as it is so hopefully it's not rusted under there from dirt and water accumulation.

For your sake I hope you're right and you don't find any rust, but be prepared. I thought I just had 4 small bubbles forming on the cowl, but once the glass was out I found about 10 more hidden spots rusting in the actual windshield flange. And those 4 small bubbles turned out to be holes once I cleaned off the flaky stuff. Bummer!

I will if you want. Not hard really, just takes some attention to detail to do it right. Like all painting, the prep is key. I've done several 240s (grilles/side trim/window trim/etc) over the years and figured out what works best for me.

Just clean it well and degrease it first. Simple Green works well. Next rough the surface up with 400 grit to get rid of any debris and to un-smooth the surface. Next I give it a quick wipe down with acetone then a quick wipe down with a tackrag to get any dust. I use SEM flexible bumper paint. It lays down really nice and easy and has an excellent and durable finish. I used to use Krylon semi flat black but this stuff is way nicer. Better finish and much more resistant to chipping. I don't even bother priming with this stuff.

I've actually even used the SEM paint without proper prep and it still works better than the Krylon did with "proper" prep. Just won't last as long that way.

You know my style: ugly but functional (as opposed to completely ghettorigged :-P )

I think I could do with a quick lesson in patiently prettying things up ;-)

Lame picture post for the day so far. These just showed up in receiving:

0330111136.jpg

I was surprised they were still available new from Volvo and were cheap to boot -- like $10.00/each. They are the "gaskets" that go between the taillight lens and taillight body to seal the lens. The ones on the old lights are all dry and shrinking so these should seal them up tight.

For reference here's where they go:

Capture.JPG

ooooooooo, i need those gaskets, i am glad you made mention of them. i was sad to not see progress on this car, as i really liked where it was going. glad to see it mad it into good hands.

Back