• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Smaller turbo?

VB242

I.M. Weasel
So I've been driving this Chevy equinox with a 1.5T motor and I'm digging the insta spool from the itty bitty turbo. I think I want to downsize from the China Bay TD05-20G I'm using now on my B21+T, I would like internally gated but not a deal breaker and 3" V band outlet, and about 350hp max. From what I can glean from DSM threads a small 16G might be what I'm looking for, I'm not familiar with the Garrett nomenclature but would consider one or a BW EFR if I can find a deal on one. Any recommendations? This is for long term planning.

The heavier weight of the dished flywheel will make the turbo spool quicker. More load makes the turbo spool quicker. My factory intercooled turbo 242 that I no longer have spooled much better due to the heavy flywheel.

Depends on your budget. For <$1k I'd suggest an "old spec" GT25R or GT28R, which would give you very nice response on a B21F+T.

I'm talking pre-GTX, so GT2554R, GT2560R, or GT2860R. You should be able to find those around $800 new in most cases.

Go ultimate oldschool and get a T3 turbo with a Cosworth turbine housing and a billet machined compressor wheel with the 60 trim Mustang comp housing. :nod:

11-Blade "Top end"
http://www.turborebuild.co.uk/websh...essor-impeller-Wheel-46506025-4090960013.html

6+6-Blade "Mid-range"
https://www.turborebuild.co.uk/webs...essor-impeller-Wheel-46416025-4090960013.html

I am very happy with the 11-blade wheel on my 16v turbo --> Instaspool tire burning quick corner exit torque monster all the way to the red!

On the old T3 versions. Volvo used a .48 housing on the turbine side for 740. Where as for 240 turbo they used a .63. So you can use the .48 for better response. The cosworth housing comes in a .48 size, too.

Still wouldn't respond as well as a GT25R or GT28R, for not much price difference. OP is looking to downsize from a TD05-20G, not upsize.

Any of the FWD turbos that use the TD04HL setups would be a good downsizing from the TD05 you have now, if you want to do it on the cheap. You wont get 350 though

EFRs are excellent if you have the budget.

Last edited:
If you're looking in the 350 range, have you considered the 16g6 from the mitsu evo 8? I know it requires a funky manifold but short of that a T4oe 50 trim (the actual 50, not the 54 or 57) has that kind of potential and fairly decent spool. Regardless for that type of power you’re going need boost.

Last edited:
I've been don't some poking around and it seems the 2554 and 2560 use a T25 inlet, I'm pretty sure my flattened 90+ is T3. I see adapters available but would be concerned about clearance on the strut tower. Does anyone use these turbos?

Yes they would all come with a T25 flange as standard, and would either need some sort of adapter or a T3-flanged housing as produced by ATP for example. There's a handful of guys running GT2871Rs on 8V Redblocks, so that's a 71mm compressor wheel exducer. I was suggesting looking at the smaller 54mm or 60mm compressors for a more responsive match on a B21.

I've used various GT28Rs on numerous different ~2.0L engines over the years and would never describe them as "laggy," unless maybe an overly large A/R turbine housing were used. Matched dozens of them for Volvo people, Formula Drift drivers, time attack teams, autocrossers, etc. I was responsible for GTX28R development (60, 63, and 67mm); the older non-GTX stuff was created by engineers before me but I've had nothing but good results with the older GT2554R - GT2860R variations.

Back