• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo Musical Chairs - '93 240 -> '90 740T -> '88 240

Whitestorm

What???
Hello TB'ers I got a fun little project coming up that involves 3 bricks and 3 different engine management systems!

The cars are:
'88 245 - 2.2 Chrysler - ECU: 554
'90 745 Turbo - 2.4 - ECU: 563 - EZK: 148
'92 244 - 3.1 :-( - ECU: 572 - EZK: 169

The '88 is a decent body with 315k on its b230 which needs a good rest, its getting the 740T engine. The 740 is actually in pretty good shape, the body is nice and straight and rust is almost non-existent minus 1 pretty crunchy spot. I wont throw the 740 out so it is getting the '92's engine which only has 140k on it and runs like a top. The '92 chassis though is rusted to HELL and will either get some V8 or parted out. So basically 3 Bricks -> 2 Bricks.

The Plan
My plan for the '88 is to use the harness from the '92 with the 740's computers. If my understanding is correct, that harness will just need a few wires to work with the turbo computers which I should be able to accomplish with the help of other threads on here. To make my life more difficult I refuse to swap the distributor from my engine to the 740 engine and have already ordered a Buchka board to run wasted spark.

We're not sure what to do with the 740. We know we would have to temporarily clip the turbo related connections but since the car will not be turbo for some time should we try and keep LH3.1 or do we just get a new ECU, MAF and TPS to run LH2.4? I think my LH2.2 TPS would work so that makes it simpler.

The Questions
1) Are LH2.4 EZK harnesses all the same? Can I use the 148 computer on the 169 harness with the usual +T modifications?
2) Same question as above but for the ECU, 563 running on 572 harness (with the 3.1 stuff removed) or on the existing 554 harness with normal +T stuff done in both cases
3) Is the LH2.4 and 3.1 MAF wiring the same? If so I think we would just modify the TPS wiring on the 740 to run 3.1 rather than buy the parts for 2.4 unless you think that's the smarter move (it will be turbo again in the future but the 740 will become my friends car and I know he likes to save where and when he can)

WHY?
Why not T5 swap the 740 and keep it instead of the 240? Well for starters that would be too easy, but really I just prefer the 240. If I were to get a 7xx to keep it would be a 780 not a 745!

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go spend the rest of my life trying to find half accurate wiring diagrams for these cars and try and map some stuff out! I really really appreciate anyone who read this and can help out. My biggest concerns are getting the cars running. Once running all the other loose end and whatnot can be cleared up :)

Last edited:
Just focus on one car(I assume the 88 240). You're trying to make it harder then its needs to be. Source an lh 2.4 240 harness(junkyard is your friend). Do not try to modify the lh 3.1 harness as you can sell these parts to someone who willl use them.

You will need the auxiliary shaft(which drives the distributor) from the 88 240 engine and a lh 2.4 distributor(you could use the one from the 92 240 engine or source one from the junkard).

The turbo lh 2.4 computers will work with the 240 lh 2.4 engine harness, no modification needed. You will need injectors from fwd turbo Volvo. As long the injectors are from a turbo engine, they can be used, again with no modification.

Focus on the turbo portion then later on you can manual swap the car or all these cars will end up being crusher bait.

I would ditch the 740 too, you're trying to take on too many projects which may never come to frution. All the parts you don't need, you can sell. Although I'd probably keep the engine/trans from the 92 240 but everything sell unless you know you will have immediate use for in the near future.

Just focus on one car(I assume the 88 240). You're trying to make it harder then its needs to be. Source an lh 2.4 240 harness(junkyard is your friend). Do not try to modify the lh 3.1 harness as you can sell these parts to someone who willl use them.

You will need the auxiliary shaft(which drives the distributor) from the 88 240 engine and a lh 2.4 distributor(you could use the one from the 92 240 engine or source one from the junkard).

The turbo lh 2.4 computers will work with the 240 lh 2.4 engine harness, no modification needed. You will need injectors from fwd turbo Volvo. As long the injectors are from a turbo engine, they can be used, again with no modification.

Focus on the turbo portion then later on you can manual swap the car or all these cars will end up being crusher bait.

I would ditch the 740 too, you're trying to take on too many projects which may never come to frution. All the parts you don't need, you can sell. Although I'd probably keep the engine/trans from the 92 240 but everything sell unless you know you will have immediate use for in the near future.

My main focus is on my '88 245, the 740 will be going to my friend who owns the super rusty 92 240 but I will be helping him do the swap from his 240 to the 740 (that is low priority though). I should have made one post about each car but I decided to make one big mess instead lol :doh:. Won't be using the 2.4 dizzy because I'm going straight to wasted spark (got my package from CFL the other day! Just need to get a coil pack since the nice Bosch 2x2 one is out of stock, I've heard good results with Miata packs with the conversion so I may try that.) I saw the price of that 3.1 kit for sale on here the other day :omg: so I may tell him to hang onto it and I'll grab a 2.4 harness from a friend. That would cost more for me but it would simplify things so I'll probably do that!

As for the transmission, my 240 is a M47 and the 740 is AW71. loooong story but the 240 will temporarily get the AW71 until I can afford the T5 swap lol. And then it's time to make some power! Been setting money aside for everything slowly as I prepare for a move to a place with a garage next month! :-D

Back