• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Remote Filter and Oil Cooler Stuff

Plumbing is complete.

The bottom pic is peeking under the front spoiler. The bottom of the plumbing is about 2 inch above the level of the bottom of the spoiler.

The fittings on the oil filter mount are 45 degree.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aer-fbl1523
Dave
-

Attachments

• oilcooler2019-3.jpg
    oilcooler2019-3.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 284
  • oilcooler2019-5.jpg
    oilcooler2019-5.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 283
Here's a pic with the belly pan in place. It's carved up a bit to *make* it fit. Better to have one than not.
-

Attachments

• oilcooler2019-4.jpg
    oilcooler2019-4.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 285
After letting it idle up to operating temperature, I DID FIND A LEAK.

The threads are seeping oil at the THERMOSTAT HOUSING when it gets hot and thin. Maybe enough for a drip in 15 minutes. That bugs me and I'll be addressing that.

I used Locktite 592 liquid thread sealer in there. https://www.all-spec.com/Catalog/Adhesives-Sealants-Tapes/Sealants/General-Purpose-Sealants/209761-30769
I would not have expected to see a leak there. There are no other leaks that I can find anywhere else yet.

Is there a better sealer to use?

EDIT: The instructions for installing those 3/8 inch fittings is to torque them to 15 lbs, which I did.
Dave
-

Attachments

• oilcooler2019-3leak.jpg
    oilcooler2019-3leak.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
That blue Aeroquip fitting is aN ORB fitting; it uses an o ring between the fitting and threaded hole...which has been machined to accept the o ring... and not a sealing washer/statoseal/bonded washer.
https://phenixindustries.com/produc...gs/radius-port-orb-adapter-fittings-straight/

An RX7 18 mm port does not accept an o-ring. So using an o-ring there is out. And I am no longer using the blue fitting. It does seal, however, with the sealing washer used. If anyone has a source for a better fitting, please add it.
Dave

Last edited:
Strange that it’s leaking. We use MOCAL and GRex t stat adaptors in non pipe thread versions.
In applications that have limited ground clearance, we use the MOCAL in line t stat with male AN connections.

I ordered a new thermostatic adapter and put new fittings in. Used Permatex liquid teflon this time. No leaks. This project is done.

On to the next item on my list. Installing a new AEM wide band to replace the failed Innovate.
Dave B

Like this?

IMG_7958-M.jpg

On to the next item on my list. Installing a new AEM wide band to replace the failed Innovate.
Dave B

Have you thought about Zeitronix? I purchased one at the suggestion of Yoshifab after I melted my AEM wiring and blew up the gauge. A little more expensive but they appear to have more options.

The gauge itself is only as thick as the bezel and connects to the brains via a rj-11 style phone cord. I think it uses the same Bosch o2 sensor as the AEM.

http://www.zeitronix.com/order/order.htm

Have you thought about Zeitronix? I purchased one at the suggestion of Yoshifab after I melted my AEM wiring and blew up the gauge. A little more expensive but they appear to have more options.

The gauge itself is only as thick as the bezel and connects to the brains via a rj-11 style phone cord. I think it uses the same Bosch o2 sensor as the AEM.

http://www.zeitronix.com/order/order.htm

Thought about it. Bought the AEM already.
Dave

The AEM is very short also. maybe an inch. It seems to fit nicely, although I'm using a customized bezel I cut for the hole. Hopefully this one doesn't meltdown.
Dave
-

Attachments

• AEM-AFgauge242-2019-1med.jpg
    AEM-AFgauge242-2019-1med.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 193
  • AEM-AFgauge242-2019-2med.jpg
    AEM-AFgauge242-2019-2med.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Hey Dave,

If you don't remember I asked you in this thread if you used any gasket stuff or something to create a seal between the derale housing and the interchangeable nut as I found it to be quite a loose fit. Well I've recently installed the derale adapter on my engine and for my own reasons primed the oil pump by hand with the oil cooler lines disconnected to verify flow. Oil flowed out both the input and output of the derale housing - not a drip but a nice stream. I'm guessing oil is seeping between the housing and the nut, so therefore if the engine were to be run a considerable amount of unfiltered oil would go through it.

Hey Dave,

If you don't remember I asked you in this thread if you used any gasket stuff or something to create a seal between the derale housing and the interchangeable nut as I found it to be quite a loose fit. Well I've recently installed the derale adapter on my engine and for my own reasons primed the oil pump by hand with the oil cooler lines disconnected to verify flow. Oil flowed out both the input and output of the derale housing - not a drip but a nice stream. I'm guessing oil is seeping between the housing and the nut, so therefore if the engine were to be run a considerable amount of unfiltered oil would go through it.

Did you use sealer? I don't know if sealer would be a good idea in there because it might break loose and end up somewhere you don't want. Maybe an o-ring could be put behind that nut, not sure.

Either way, I don't know if it would affect the filtering much, since the filter is further down past the thermostat.

Maybe this is a question for Derale. You might see if you can contact someone there.
Dave

attachment.php

Back