• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Your favorite source for touch up paint

2turbotoys

Salaminizer
I would like some touch up paint, spray and brush on for my '79 242, color code 128 2, Carlsbad yellow. Google wan't that helpful, who is your favorite paint supplier? Does it match ok for temporary touchups? Goal is to stop the minor rust spots until the car gets the bodywork done but not have spots of primer all over it.

Look for an auto body supply store in your area. Not all body shops have paint mixing systems so that?s where they?d get paint.

Your paint is now 40 years old. Best to remove the gas door and have the paint mixed to match that. Using the OE paint code you run the risk of having the paint too bright.

Thanks for the answers, I was trying to avoid paints mixed in small quantities. The front half of my paint is about 4 years old, the back half is original haha. I just want to do some minor rust repairs and have it mostly match, looks better than primer.

My car is carlsbad yellow and portions have been professionally resprayed a few times. You cant tell the 10, 20 or 40 year old paint apart. I am pretty sure the roof is original. I think it is because it isn't base clear or metallic that the colour doesn't seem to change as bad.
That being said, I want to know your results because I am going to do the same thing this summer/fall.

I'll post the before and after in my build thread, I am doing it as a temporary thing so I dont have primer or extreme mismatching spots till paint and bodywork time. I have almost no paint/bodywork experience, but my neighbor is has done it for a living his whole life. Hoping he shows me how to make it look ok until someone that knows what they are doing paints the car.

For anyone else with this question, I had a difficult time finding anyone with this color or any '70s 240, let alone in a single stage paint. Paintscratch.com has it, and 12 other colors for 1979 240's. They offer the option of a single stage paint but you need to ask if they can make your color like that. Awaiting response, will update. Also the color samples they have are no where close to the actual color, to be expected of course.

My experience: I asked a paint supplier for Carlsbad yellow, and they told me that the formula had been discontinued because it contained lead.

I have not asked anybody else...

Interesting...we will see what color I end up with. This car is getting repainted Carlsbad yellow if I have to mix the lead in myself :-P

I have used: automotivetouchup.com with success for a few different cars. Their color match is right on.
The most difficult color mix in my opinion was Teal Green on my 95 wagon. I was able to spot finish the hood with the new paint.

I too have used automotivetouchup.com with no issues. Both times were with newer cars, a '93 and a '97 though. The paint I received matched the car I needed it for.

Talking about automotivetouchup.com? Looks like they say you need to apply clearcoat over all their paints. Something about it coming out dull unless you clearcoat it. Is that the same as two-stage paint?

Uh, my paint isn't metallic. That website doesn't go back far enough to get to my car. Unless this is a threadjack and I'm misunderstanding why you are posting here.

Uh, my paint isn't metallic. That website doesn't go back far enough to get to my car. Unless this is a threadjack and I'm misunderstanding why you are posting here.

Otto commented that he thought all volvos came with single stage, and noticed the touchup was base/clear and thought this was possibly an issue. I clarified that some 240s came with 2 stage factory.
He was noting this because your paint is single stage but the touch up paint requires clear...

Back