home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 09-09-2020, 04:16 PM   #26
Nagrom
Board Member

I kept my rear end a bit squishier cause of a lot of this type feedback.
Bilstein HDs all around, IPD lowering sedan springs on a wagon, poly bushings up front, rubber in the back, Kalphenke torque rods panhard bars,QSRCs. Stock sways. 205/55 pirrelli p7s on hydras and I haven't heard my tires chirp since.

Car doesn't bounce like a pogo stick.

I think the conical metal bushings on the torque rods and panhard bars combine with the rubber TABs let's the back end conform to the road a bit more.

I've got 25mm sways I'm hesitant to put on, because as of now I don't have the rear end issues usually described.
Can take any turn at any speed.
Swerved around a pallet a few weeks back at over a hundred mph and although I felt the back unload a bit, it never unstuck, only one bounce and it was very predictable.

I'm a few thousand dollars into the suspension, but aside from coil overs not much more can be done.
Nagrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:04 PM   #27
petebee
Board Member

Glad I wandered into this thread. I am in a similar situation planning to upgrade the suspension on my recently acquired 92 sedan. Overall car is in great condition, but I'd like a bit firmer handling/feel. It looks like stock swaybars are appropriate for street use. I've had a few other 240s with full IPD setup (sways, springs, Bilstein HDs) and never really liked the way the rear end bounced. I don't think the HDs are valved for lowering (all other Bilstein "yellow" shocks/struts for lowering application are labelled Sport), but IPD seems to have been selling them this way for years. Yeah the look is decent, but I don't think the overall package works that well. Don't get me started on the IPD torque rods, but I did have a set of the hybrid torque rods from Ben on my wagon and they were a great addition. When your torque rod bushings wear out, just get these from Ben.

Would my best bet be to purchase new factory height Lesjofor springs and pair them with a set of Bilstein HDs and new Volvo OEM strut mounts? That's about $800 from FCP. Would it be sacrilegious to trim brand new springs a teeny, weeny bit (maybe 1 1/2 coils in front, 1 in back) to reduce the wheel gap? I know...for looks only. But would it mess up the characteristics of the Billies?

Just refinished a nice set of Virgos in gunmetal and they complement the graphite metallic paint / blacked out 92 trim nicely. A subtle lowering and improved handling and she'll be perfect.
petebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:26 AM   #28
OttoB
Board Member

I got Lesjöfors lowering springs at front and rears are wagon load springs, I cut 1,5 coil.

Billy HD in front and rear shocks are Red Konis at stiffed setting. Rear works nicely but front is a different story. I like it inly on a flat surface. Feels that HD's are way too soft.
OttoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:30 PM   #29
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

On my 82 turbo I have front coil overs, rear adjustable perches with 250 front and 200 rear springs. The shocks are Bilstein HD setup with the Rsport shock values from Dave Bartons web site. Using 25/25 bars. The rear of the car feels great and is very predictable. The front feels bad sometimes pogo sticking on various bumps. Although the damping feels ok. Next up is the basic version of Bne upper strut mounts and some 325lb front springs. According to the motion ratio that should be a more balanced setup.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 430k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:59 PM   #30
740atl
educator monkey

Hi Dave,

I guess it all comes down to the damping.

I see people on here running 450 or 500lb front springs and others 200 and it seems like there's no rhyme or reason to it. So one way to think of this is if I gave bilstein the current specs of my car (including wheel weights) they could choose the right valving that won't make my back end bounce around.... at least that's how I'm understanding this.

Does bilstein still do the shock revalving? How does it work? Mail them your shocks and struts along with data from the car?
740atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 01:09 PM   #31
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740atl View Post
Does bilstein still do the shock revalving? How does it work? Mail them your shocks and struts along with data from the car?
They sure do, though they might be on a slight hiatus at the moment.
Call the service/tech department. It helps if you know the unsprung weights, motion ratios of the shock, wheel rates of the springs.

https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/techn...ledge/service/
Old 09-11-2020, 02:59 PM   #32
2manyturbos

Quote:
Hi Dave,

I see people on here running 450 or 500lb front springs and others 200 and it seems like there's no rhyme or reason to it. So one way to think of this is if I gave bilstein the current specs of my car (including wheel weights) they could choose the right valving that won't make my back end bounce around.... at least that's how I'm understanding this.

There is both rhyme and reason for both. You have to figure out what you want the car to do. Road racers running on very smooth tracks want springs more on the order of 500 lb/in. Those would be very difficult to drive with on the street. reeferman ran his 242 road racing for many years. Kyle142 has done the same. See if you can get them to weigh in. The 740 Greg Ervin set up is running 600 lb/in in the front and 300 lb/in in the rear, as per Yeah Right's recommendation. On smooth surfaces it handles great.

Last edited by 2manyturbos; 09-11-2020 at 03:20 PM..
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:43 PM   #33
kyote
Living The Dream

Quote:
Hi Dave,

Set aside some time and give JVL a call to discuss revalving and spring rate.
kyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:12 PM   #34
Lankku
Board Member

245 "B6284T" has 600lbs front springs and some shortened rear lowering springs. IPD 25mm front and 22mm rear, had 24mm front and 21mm rear and it's better with stiffer bars. Handling is pretty neutral towards slight oversteer. 215/45 front, 225/45/17 rear. It's stiff but I don't consider it too stiff or uncomfortable. I've driven several times 350-450 miles a day(plus a trackday) and its fine. It's also a heavy thing, around 3480lbs no driver.

-92 245 with NA 6-cyl is much lighter, 2711lbs no driver. It has 400lbs front and 224lbs rear, IPD 25mm front and stock 19mm rear. I consider it to be more on the comfortable side but drives nicely on track too. 205/50/16" front and rear.

Both cars have same BC Racing front and Gaz rear shocks, Truetrac, polybushings on front control arm and panhard. Rear upper control arm bushings have a poly on other end and stiffer stuff on the other(different on both), etc. "B6284T has a full cage too, -92 only a half cage.

But it all comes down to what you want and suits the best. Wouldn't choose a 600lbs front spring if I would have to drive a dirt road daily. Proper stock replacement springs and good shocks take a long way with stiffer sway bars.
Lankku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:37 PM   #35
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

When I had the Bilsteins revalved. I sent them to Bilstein in San Diego to do the revalving. It was about 85 per shock.
Old 09-13-2020, 05:37 PM   #36
740atl
educator monkey

Gabriel ultras and the skinniest rear bar I could find seemed to do the trick. I never thought the skinny bar would fit over the dual exhaust.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:36 PM   #37
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Gabriel Ultras for the win!!!
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:29 PM   #38
740atl
educator monkey

EDIT... after day 2... I can’t say enough about how much more planted and confident this thing feels in the corners. I don’t know if I’m feeling the car correctly, but with the thinner rear bar, it almost feels like I can feel the rear of the car rolling a tad....with the turn..

I feel like you get stuck in the modification process and it gets a bit tunnelvisiony and every “upgrade” has to be better because it’s labeled “performance “.

The car is so different I'm considering entering an autocross.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

When I do pick up the QSRC, what will I notice first? ( the car is lowered more than 1”)

Last edited by 740atl; 09-14-2020 at 08:15 PM..
Old 09-14-2020, 09:34 PM   #39
2turbotoys
Astro Zombie

So what did you do? Besides thinner rear bar.

1978 242, 5.3 L33
1979 242, MS, R brakes
2006 V50 T5 AWD @ 17 PSI
2turbotoys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:47 PM   #40
2manyturbos

Quote:

The car is so different I'm considering entering an autocross.
Thanks all for the suggestions.

Do it. Not only will you have fun, you can safely push it hard and see how it behaves.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:52 AM   #41
mikep
The MP

Quote:
When I do pick up the QSRC, what will I notice first? ( the car is lowered more than 1”)
In tight turns, less scrubbing the outer tire because BNE knows ackerman.
In a slalom at the mid setting, you will be a happy camper. Closest setting? depends on how cat-like your reflexes are.
But the big thing is it will not roll in turns like it used to.

Oh, and make a lower chassis brace between the mounts at the rear of the control arms.
mikep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 02:30 PM   #42
GreatDaneShane
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
When I had the Bilsteins revalved. I sent them to Bilstein in San Diego to do the revalving. It was about 85 per shock.
It costs more these days. Something like 200 per shock iirc.
GreatDaneShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:15 PM   #43
shoestring
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
Gabriel Ultras for the win!!!
I couldn't resist getting a pair of these for my daily just to see what's what. Cam and I just about crapped our pants at how much more damping these offer over the KYB GR2s I had in my '91 245. I haven't driven it yet, so we'll see how that goes, but yeah, if you've got TB (not Tom Brady) money and you want more damping, these are a great call.
shoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:25 PM   #44
dbarton
Dejected by Volvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDaneShane View Post
It costs more these days. Something like 200 per shock iirc.
Rebuild and/or revalve: $95 for shocks. $127 for struts. Currently services are suspended.

'84 242ti, fourth owner, mine since 2003. Always garaged since brand new. Old-school rounds because I like. B21FT, SDS EFI/IGN, TD04HL-15G, T5Z trans with 0.73 OD, hydro clutch, 3.91 diff with unmodified G80.
Volvo Ambivalence of Volvo Enthusiast Community: prancingmoose.com/#novolvo
Dave's Volvo Page: davebarton.com
240 Mods and Fixes Pages: 240turbo.com/volvo240mods.html
dbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:00 AM   #45
740atl
educator monkey

Anyone have any experience with gabriel ultras in the front of the car? I noticed that shockwarehouse sells them.
Old 09-22-2020, 03:19 PM   #46
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

I've used the gabriel ultras on stock 240 front suspension. Makes the car feel much better. It is a good substitute for using the old Boge turbogas struts which were another nice upgrade for stockish suspension.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:45 PM   #47
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
I've used the gabriel ultras on stock 240 front suspension. Makes the car feel much better. It is a good substitute for using the old Boge turbogas struts which were another nice upgrade for stockish suspension.
I had similar experiences with a set I installed for a friend. They felt way better than the blown out OE struts, and did the job for years.

I haven't tried a set out with higher spring rates though.
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:22 PM   #48
GreatDaneShane
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton View Post
Rebuild and/or revalve: $95 for shocks. $127 for struts. Currently services are suspended.
It was 434.00 for them to re-valve my 2 struts with tax and return shipping. Not included is what it cost to ship them 2 pairs of struts lol (the first set was unserviceable)
GreatDaneShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:06 PM   #49
chronicrhythm
Board Member

Quote:
EDIT... after day 2... I can’t say enough about how much more planted and confident this thing feels in the corners. I don’t know if I’m feeling the car correctly, but with the thinner rear bar, it almost feels like I can feel the rear of the car rolling a tad....with the turn..
I have a 740 wagon and the rear end bounces like mad. I think I'm going to try removing the rear IPD sway or putting a smaller one in and then putting those shocks in. Hopefully would do the trick for my 740 as it did your 240. Where did you get the gabriel ultra shocks?
chronicrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:21 AM   #50
740atl
educator monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDaneShane View Post
It was 434.00 for them to re-valve my 2 struts with tax and return shipping. Not included is what it cost to ship them 2 pairs of struts lol (the first set was unserviceable)
Woah... that's a healthy increase in price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronicrhythm View Post
I have a 740 wagon and the rear end bounces like mad. I think I'm going to try removing the rear IPD sway or putting a smaller one in and then putting those shocks in. Hopefully would do the trick for my 740 as it did your 240. Where did you get the gabriel ultra shocks?
I got mine from rockauto https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/ga...+absorber,7556