home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 08-18-2020, 01:18 PM   #1051
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
I just use 4043 filler when I weld it. I think it behaves very similar to 6061 when welding.
Good to know, thanks.
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:21 PM   #1052
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfrasca View Post
Good to know, thanks.
The only reason not to use 4043 filler (generally...) is when it has to be anodized. 4043 is a very forgiving filler material, good toughness, doesn't easily crack, and has enough strength for most things. It just looks like crap when you anodize it.
Old 08-22-2020, 10:52 AM   #1053
Tfrasca
Board Member

Updates! Our entire area has been evacuated and the perimeter of a 67,000 acre wildfire is about a mile from my house (and the car) right now. I got back to the house two days ago to get some more stuff and saw that the KL Racing DCOE manifold showed up, so I put it in the trunk and if the car still exists in a week, maybe I'll open the box and see how it looks. Otherwise, there will be a really sad photo update here...
Old 08-22-2020, 11:50 AM   #1054
pat244ti

Wish we could get back in there and tow strap it out of there with my truck like we did with the 144 across Aptos. If for some reason you could get back in, I'd totally be down to do that BTW.
83 244ti - road race
79 262c - road race in the works
08 c30 T5 - daily recce car - M66, Lifted 1.5'', 215/65/16 Falken All Terrains on Method MR502's, iPD skid plate
97 Dodge Dakota 5.2 4x4
70 Ford F100 2WD 351M/C6
pat244ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 02:36 PM   #1055
GTJordan
Been here for too long

Hoping your place survives.

Jordan
Old 08-22-2020, 03:52 PM   #1056
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Keeping you and your family in my thoughts, man

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 11:02 AM   #1057
FrankBooth
Board Member

I was just up there the week before the fires started. Take care and be safe.
As a side note, driving on Laurel St in Santa Cruz (in my VW) I said hello to a guy in a 142 just like mine- same light blue. Said he has dual Mikunis. Must be on here...
FrankBooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 11:14 AM   #1058
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankBooth View Post
I was just up there the week before the fires started. Take care and be safe.
As a side note, driving on Laurel St in Santa Cruz (in my VW) I said hello to a guy in a 142 just like mine- same light blue. Said he has dual Mikunis. Must be on here...
That’s my really good friend, David. I think he is “cyclist” on here. He’s had that car forever.
Old 08-23-2020, 12:50 PM   #1059
mocambique-amazone
Board Member

hoping your area will survive.

Fire is horrible, as water. I've survived both, financally a catastrophic result, still living.

I try my best to clean my worksop and do pics of my front axles.
I could find them in my mess, one with Mustang 2 droped spindels and 2" drop
the other is a very special, much cheaper and better. and even more difficult to get this legal in Germany. The Mustang stuff looks similar to the 140/164
I hate the ride quality of a lowered 140/164
To do the pics is I have to find time, time and again time.
150m² full of parts, I have to throw away 1/3 at minimum.

good luck, stay safe, Kay

Last edited by mocambique-amazone; 08-23-2020 at 12:57 PM..
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 01:15 PM   #1060
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt

Tyler, I have been checking on your IG updates and was relieved to see you and the family are safe. I know you have put a metric sh**-ton of work into your house and the 142, and it would be crushing to lose them. Hoping for the best from LA for you; it sounds like you are keeping things well in perspective which is really tough at a time like this. Hang in there dude.

My wife and daughter, plus sister, brother, and cousin were all evacuated from Big Basin last Tuesday night - a few months ago we reserved a site there and it was going to be our "end of summer" camping trip before school starts (on Zoom) again. I was getting ready to drive up and meet them when I got the call that they had packed up the site in a rush and were driving out through Boulder Creek. Everyone made it out of the park safely. Really sad to see the structures were destroyed and some of the redwoods didn't make it. I'm hoping to somehow get involved in the reconstruction if possible, whenever it is time for that.

-Chris
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 04:51 PM   #1061
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
Tyler, I have been checking on your IG updates and was relieved to see you and the family are safe. I know you have put a metric sh**-ton of work into your house and the 142, and it would be crushing to lose them. Hoping for the best from LA for you; it sounds like you are keeping things well in perspective which is really tough at a time like this. Hang in there dude.

My wife and daughter, plus sister, brother, and cousin were all evacuated from Big Basin last Tuesday night - a few months ago we reserved a site there and it was going to be our "end of summer" camping trip before school starts (on Zoom) again. I was getting ready to drive up and meet them when I got the call that they had packed up the site in a rush and were driving out through Boulder Creek. Everyone made it out of the park safely. Really sad to see the structures were destroyed and some of the redwoods didn't make it. I'm hoping to somehow get involved in the reconstruction if possible, whenever it is time for that.

-Chris
Thanks Chris. It's been rough. So many ups and downs that I lost track and basically just started assuming we'd lose everything, until they started giving us better news a couple days ago. Now it seems like unless really windy conditions happen, we will be ok.

Bummed your camping trip got interrupted, but really glad everyone is safe. Big Basin got hit so hard, but it's important to realize that a lot of those trees have been through several massive fires, and they'll be ok. It's a hard perspective to take as a human, though.

Thanks again for the thoughts, everyone. Hopefully I'll have some car updates a month or so.
Old 08-26-2020, 02:19 PM   #1062
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt

Quote:
Thanks Chris. It's been rough. So many ups and downs that I lost track and basically just started assuming we'd lose everything, until they started giving us better news a couple days ago. Now it seems like unless really windy conditions happen, we will be ok.
For a few years now I've wanted to make an "Emotional Rollercoaster" shirt for our racing team. Insert silhouette of our race car or box truck on top of a rollercoaster track graphic. Ups and downs. I'm sure it's much more intense when it's your home and family on those tracks and not just a project car.

Quote:
Bummed your camping trip got interrupted, but really glad everyone is safe. Big Basin got hit so hard, but it's important to realize that a lot of those trees have been through several massive fires, and they'll be ok. It's a hard perspective to take as a human, though.
Yeah, too many people don't understand or remember that fire is part of the natural redwood forest cycle. Some of them have been around for 2 millennia and have seen massive fires many times in the past. Their bark is thick and resistant and the foliage and crowns are high up away from the worst of the flames. Still sad to see the human side of the park destroyed though - that visitor's center was a super neat building and the nearby museum was cool in a cheesy way too. I hope they can rebuild the HQ in the same style as the original buildings.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:01 PM   #1063
Tfrasca
Board Member

So I tried to make that intake manifold and failed miserably. The air box ended up being good practice, and I learned a lot about aluminum fab and welding. I don't love the way it looks, but it'll end up powder coated black anyway. I mounted it on three rubber isolators so it'll move a bit with the engine. It pulls air through a pretty big scoop next to the intercooler.

I need to use Noah's mill to do a few things to the intake manifold plenum base, then maybe I'll actually start welding that up.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:47 PM   #1064
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Old 10-28-2020, 08:57 PM   #1065
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

Looks real damn good!

-Project Thread-

Follow on IG: @vol242vo
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:44 AM   #1066
joel142
Board Member

Looks great - well done!
Old 10-29-2020, 05:32 PM   #1067
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Beastly.

@PDXvolvo on IG
LC4CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:28 PM   #1068
oemoilleaks
Board Member

lovely!
Old 11-11-2020, 09:28 PM   #1069
Tfrasca
Board Member

So I made some progress on the intake manifold. I believe it was Culberro's idea to use the KL Racing DCOE runners, and I think it'll work well. It's nice to be able to focus on the plenum now and deal with injector bungs later. Here are the pieces of the plenum. A .5" base, with runner transitions made by a hand held wood router. The folded pieces are .125 5052.

After the disaster with the last manifold, I was scared of welding .5 to .125, so I milled these rabbets in the .5 piece. That also gave everything a natural stop, so putting it together was pretty easy. The .5 stuff still welded like ****, but I'm sure it was operator error. I stand by the rabbet idea.

Speaking of cutting aluminum with wood cutting tools, look how well this stuff fits together after hitting it with a flush cutter.

By far the best welds on the whole plenum so far are on the bottom, right up against the firewall. Never to be seen.

Here's how things are looking. The 960 throttle body I have wont fit onto the front of the plenum without spacing it out so the TPS clears. The plan with that is the use a 2-3" length of 2.75" OD tubing to space the throttle body flange out. I figure it might also help smooth out the flow into the plenum, plus get me a little extra volume.

Old 11-11-2020, 11:34 PM   #1070
vwbusman66
Stößelstange über alles!

Fantastic progress as always!
I never realized how close the head sat to the firewall.
the only problem with that is what you define as cheap and fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by propav8r
The incest is implied.
vwbusman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 11:40 PM   #1071
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Very nice
Old 11-12-2020, 12:52 AM   #1072
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwbusman66 View Post
Fantastic progress as always!
I never realized how close the head sat to the firewall.
Yeah it seems a bit closer than the 8 valve was. It’s going to be a huge pain to install and remove the head.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:05 PM   #1073
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

looks good. Do you have a metal brake or have those pieces bent for you? I also like your welding table, I really need to make one of those.

Quote:
Hey I'm using those same clamps on my deck right now! I've never seen a set that didn't look like it was 50 years old.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:25 PM   #1074
AndrewNance
Amateur hour!

AndrewNance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:19 PM   #1075
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
looks good. Do you have a metal brake or have those pieces bent for you? I also like your welding table, I really need to make one of those.

Hey I'm using those same clamps on my deck right now! I've never seen a set that didn't look like it was 50 years old.
My friend made a little brake that fits in a harbor freight shop press. It works really well. For reference, the finger brake that he has wouldn't even come close to bending this stuff.

I love those clamps. I kind of stole them from my dad, so they may actually be 50 years old.

THIS is the welding table top I have. It seems to be the easiest/cheapest way to get a reasonably flat surface with holes.