home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 04-27-2020, 11:20 AM   #1
widewagon92

Default 92' 740 wagon vortec swap

Looking to do my first engine swap and I want to make sure my grocery list is complete before I start gathering parts. I have a 92' 740 wagon that I love, but the automatic trans leaves a lot to be desired. Figured if I'm doing a manual swap, why not toss in an ls while I'm at it?

So far, my parts list looks like this:
  • 5.3l vortec w/ wiring harness and ecm
  • t5 transmission
  • shifter
  • compatible bellhousing (?)
  • compatible clutch plate (?)
  • clutch pedal assembly
  • JTR 740 motor mount kit
  • lt1 to ls mount adapters
  • shorten driveshaft, add gm bit

I still have to sort out those ?s by seeing what will fit (or finding a t5 that comes with both), though I know a good part of that depends on what 5.3 I pick up. And the thought of getting all the wiring sorted is frightening.....

Is there anything obvious that I'm missing? I'm hoping to gather parts over the next few weeks and then have a wild weekend in about a month where I pop it all together in time to drive to work Monday. Thanks in advance!
widewagon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 12:21 PM   #2
283SD
Board Member

Do it. I put a V8 in my 2series wagon 32+ years ago, still love to drive it. Yes get everything in place, but there will still be the odd part/piece that you will need. Good luck. One weekend?
283SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 01:44 PM   #3
widewagon92

Thanks! And yes, I don't expect it to be flawless after a weekend but at the very least I'd need to have it running and driving.
Old 04-27-2020, 01:56 PM   #4
Pillow
Sleazebag 7-9 Owner

I like the idea... One weekend is delusional. All the small parts will drive you insane and nickle and dime you to death.
2006 Volvo XC70 Wagon - sons ride - 175k stock
1992 Volvo 965 - "Savage Wagon" w LS 5.3 LM7 + LS7 cam + GM T5 swap in progress.
1979 Porsche 911SC - stock
1971 Chevy C-10 w 5.3 LS (LS2 cam) & GM T5 trans
1948 Spartan Mansion travel trailer - aluminum greatness
Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:24 PM   #5
kyote
Living The Dream

LS Swap on a weekend eh?
Do yourself a favor and pick up a second car.
kyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 04:35 PM   #6
honeylake
Board Member

Why a T5? Looks like cd009s are getting traction as the modern option for 3-pedal swaps. And look to STS for mounts and other small support bits.
For what it's worth, STS sells a complete T56/LS swap kit for $1500.
honeylake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:06 PM   #7
widewagon92

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeylake View Post
Why a T5? Looks like cd009s are getting traction as the modern option for 3-pedal swaps. And look to STS for mounts and other small support bits.
For what it's worth, STS sells a complete T56/LS swap kit for $1500.
I hadn't considered the cd009, but looking at it it seems a bit out of my budget for this build. I decided on the t5 because they're easy to find and relatively cheap, and strong enough for what I'm looking to achieve.

Hadn't found STS yet, thank you for that! Do you recommend their stuff over JTR? STS's mounts need headers and an oil pan, and doesn't include the trans crossmember.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:48 PM   #8
honeylake
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by widewagon92 View Post
I hadn't considered the cd009, but looking at it it seems a bit out of my budget for this build. I decided on the t5 because they're easy to find and relatively cheap, and strong enough for what I'm looking to achieve.

Hadn't found STS yet, thank you for that! Do you recommend their stuff over JTR? STS's mounts need headers and an oil pan, and doesn't include the trans crossmember.

Are the cd009s really that much more expensive? Is there a cheap, or any, T5 that is going to handle even the stock power from the LS? Check Yoshifab or Deeworks for cd009/Volvo swap info.

Scott from STS is active on this forum and they seem to produce highly regarded gear. Scott also just started a retrospective LS 242 T56 build thread here a few weeks back.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:13 PM   #9
widewagon92

Quote:
Are the cd009s really that much more expensive? Is there a cheap, or any, T5 that is going to handle even the stock power from the LS? Check Yoshifab or Deeworks for cd009/Volvo swap info.

Scott from STS is active on this forum and they seem to produce highly regarded gear. Scott also just started a retrospective LS 242 T56 build thread here a few weeks back.
Didn't mean any disrespect to Scott, I apologize if I came across that way. I'll have to check out his thread and the cd009. I'd heard that the t5 camaro or WC transmissions could handle the ls, and they've been easier to find nearby than others. May have had some rose - tinted glasses there though.

My other concern was looking at build info for 200 series cars. I'm not sure how much carries over to the 700 series, but my understanding was they have some significant differences under the hood.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:21 PM   #10
honeylake
Board Member

Quote:
Didn't mean any disrespect to Scott, I apologize if I came across that way. I'll have to check out his thread and the cd009. I'd heard that the t5 camaro or WC transmissions could handle the ls, and they've been easier to find nearby than others. May have had some rose - tinted glasses there though.

My other concern was looking at build info for 200 series cars. I'm not sure how much carries over to the 700 series, but my understanding was they have some significant differences under the hood.
Didn't sound disrespectful at all, I just thought I'd offer an option where you might have direct access to the folks producing the swap gear. 77volvo245 is one of the guys from STS.
There are a bunch of 240 LS swap builds on here. Also, if you're on FB, there are some great V8 volvo groups with tons of detailed info.

I'm planning out an LS swap and still debating an auto vs cd009 path.
Old 04-28-2020, 12:51 AM   #11
widewagon92

Quote:
Didn't sound disrespectful at all, I just thought I'd offer an option where you might have direct access to the folks producing the swap gear. 77volvo245 is one of the guys from STS.
There are a bunch of 240 LS swap builds on here. Also, if you're on FB, there are some great V8 volvo groups with tons of detailed info.

I'm planning out an LS swap and still debating an auto vs cd009 path.
I appreciate the help. Looks like I've got some reading to do!
Old 04-28-2020, 12:17 PM   #12
Pillow
Sleazebag 7-9 Owner

Yes, a T5 can live behind a 400HP LS... NWC and WC variants. Just dont go ape on a NWC and it will live.

EASY is 5.3 with 4L60E + STS mounts and send it!

Medium 5.3 with T56 + Yoshifab mounts and send it!

Hard 5.3 with T5 + STS mounts and maybe eventually send it...

Here is the rub. Old STS mounts has two mounting options, Low or High. High means LS1/Camaro accessories. Low means diff oil pan and no idea on driver side header due to steering shaft interference.

T5 or 4L80E require the larger truck bellhousing = it will not push back close enough to the firewall even with being beaten back aggressively. The T5 is still not in the proper location and needs a 3"ish extension to hit the hole.

STS has changed the mount design from Ken's original. IDK how the new fitment is, but carries some of the same installation notes as before.
https://www.stsmachininginc.com/coll...-engine-mounts

Note: Holley oil pan (GMPP has a better price on a thin H3 pan that works) and Car intake manifold (equals LS1 or LS6 or $$$ other AND Camaro accessories or ICT Billet adapters)

7/9 folks pay the price for the luxury and speed.
Old 04-28-2020, 01:48 PM   #13
Pillow
Sleazebag 7-9 Owner

A really good build thread here on a S90. Pictures and story show it all.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...p-volmaro.html
Old 04-29-2020, 12:01 PM   #14
widewagon92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow View Post
Yes, a T5 can live behind a 400HP LS... NWC and WC variants. Just dont go ape on a NWC and it will live.

EASY is 5.3 with 4L60E + STS mounts and send it!

Medium 5.3 with T56 + Yoshifab mounts and send it!

Hard 5.3 with T5 + STS mounts and maybe eventually send it...

Here is the rub. Old STS mounts has two mounting options, Low or High. High means LS1/Camaro accessories. Low means diff oil pan and no idea on driver side header due to steering shaft interference.

T5 or 4L80E require the larger truck bellhousing = it will not push back close enough to the firewall even with being beaten back aggressively. The T5 is still not in the proper location and needs a 3"ish extension to hit the hole.

STS has changed the mount design from Ken's original. IDK how the new fitment is, but carries some of the same installation notes as before.
https://www.stsmachininginc.com/coll...-engine-mounts

Note: Holley oil pan (GMPP has a better price on a thin H3 pan that works) and Car intake manifold (equals LS1 or LS6 or $$$ other AND Camaro accessories or ICT Billet adapters)

7/9 folks pay the price for the luxury and speed.
Been doing a bit of homework these past few days, and spent some time chatting up a guy at the shop when I went to pick up new tires.....I'm thinking I'm going to ditch my manual swap idea and pair the ls to an automatic - and the 4L60E seems the way to go for that. Would rather pick my own gears, but for a first swap I think going this route will save me a bit of headache.

As for the mounting choices, high seems the better bet for now. I'd planned on swapping out the intake anyway, and I don't think those other accessories will be too hard to come by.

Thank you for all that! Going to try and pick up the engine this weekend, and get as much as I can sorted while I wait for the mounts to arrive.
Old 04-29-2020, 12:03 PM   #15
widewagon92

Oh, and thank you for the link, lot of good stuff there. VERY happy I don't have to sort out fitting the driveshaft through my fuel tank haha.
Old 04-29-2020, 12:18 PM   #16
widewagon92

Quick question - are the JTR mounts out of fashion? The kit is $100 cheaper than the STS kit and comes with the trans crossmember I'd need for the 4L60E.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:24 PM   #17
white855T
Board Member

https://m.facebook.com/GiffinsPerformanceShop/

They make motor mounts and trans mounts. Price is not too bad.
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:43 PM   #18
honeylake
Board Member

Quote:
Been doing a bit of homework these past few days, and spent some time chatting up a guy at the shop when I went to pick up new tires.....I'm thinking I'm going to ditch my manual swap idea and pair the ls to an automatic - and the 4L60E seems the way to go for that. Would rather pick my own gears, but for a first swap I think going this route will save me a bit of headache.
I keep leaning heavily this way, modern automatics aren't all that bad and a manual is probably not needed to squeeze out the power like our little 2.3s....
Old 04-29-2020, 06:00 PM   #19
white855T
Board Member

Save money and headache. Unless you drive a manual daily, you're not going to miss it. I love manuals but for an ls swap, it's so easy to keep it auto. It definitely keeps cost down.
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:51 PM   #20
honeylake
Board Member

That's what I'm thinking. That's why we all have more than 2 volvos, right?
Old 04-30-2020, 10:53 AM   #21
Pillow
Sleazebag 7-9 Owner

Quote:
Quick question - are the JTR mounts out of fashion? The kit is $100 cheaper than the STS kit and comes with the trans crossmember I'd need for the 4L60E.
Sounds like a good choice then with the rear crossmember as part of the kit. Granted IIRC the auto trans mounts to the stock Volvo crossmember easily..?

At worst with the JTR kit add a set of Dirty Dingo sliders for some front/back movement. I used the Dirty Dingo sliders on the C10 and they are really well made and fit mint.