• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Reproduction Group A spoiler

VolvoGLT

You might get lucky like MikeSr. and actually get your spoiler if you buy from redblocksociety. I just wanted to make sure you made an informed decision.

A friend of mine has an unused OEM Volvo one, with the mounting wedges. It has never been painted. Been stored for over 20 years. Pretty sure it will cost more than the above options though.

I'm not sure what it is. It is fiberglass or plastic or something, possibly layers of both. I can't tell by looking at it.

It has been about 12 years since I have seen/held one. IIRC, it was plastic. Possibly, polystyrene. The same material the front air dam of a 780 is made out of.

It has been about 12 years since I have seen/held one. IIRC, it was plastic. Possibly, polystyrene. The same material the front air dam of a 780 is made out of.

PS is too brittle and deteriorates way too fast to use on automotive components.

Haven't seen one myself, it's probably either ABS but more likely PA (probably with 30% fibreglass, which is one of the more commonly used PA variatons for automotive components).

I'm pretty sure the one I bought from the dealer in '86 was made of fiberglass. It was pretty heavy.

I sold it to TracksideTurbos a few years ago.

GroupAWing.jpg

Yes I know HIPS, we use it for some of the cups we make. I should've added "exterior" to components.

I work in a plastics packaging company (that also makes technical and automotive components and a lot of stuff for the company that's most famous for their tiny plastic bricks ;-)), so I know quite a few materials.
Although the ones used for automotive aren't really commonly used for other applications, especially not for food packaging which is the majority we do, so my knowledge is limited I have to admit.

Anyway, let's not turn this into a discussion here, just wanted to take a guess :lol:

I used to do the same sort of thing. New Products design engineer and was responsible for the design of quite a few plastic components while doing that gig. I'm guessing myself based on what I've seen Volvo do with other parts. PS isn't that commonly used for exterior components, as you said. It is very rigid though, and sometimes is used for it's ability to maintain its shape. Also, as you said, it is very prone to UV damage. After Ian's post I think I remember the spoiler being very heavy for its size. That would lead me to believe he's closer to the truth. Probably, glass mat and resin. Most of the Volvo small run specialty parts were made in cottage industry shops.

Back