• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740T Exhaust Gasket

daniels740

Found a small-ish exhaust leak right where my exhaust connects to my Garret T3 Turbo on my 1989 740 Turbo. Can someone help me find the gasket part #?
rAW4xnPl.jpg

2FrbDLKl.jpg

Thanks in advance.

I don't think there is one. You might be able to find generic T3 inlet and outlet gaskets, but lining up the turbo to the downpipe might become more challenging with those in place. If it's very small you can probably safely ignore it. But if you really want it sealed, I read once on a Miata site that putting grease on the surfaces and letting it burn off might work. Make sure to get new locknuts if you pull it. Definitely use locknuts. I tried to use regular class 10s once and they backed off within a day.

Correct, no gasket between the downpipe and turbine housing outlet. The conical shape of the turbine housing is intended to create a seal with the downpipe flange.

I wouldn’t worry about it TBH.

I think small-ish was an understatement.

I feel quite a leak at idle so I think I might look into some alternative methods like iamrolling suggested. Maybe it just needs to be re-torqued. I'll keep you guys posted.

Just an idea, do you still have the bracket for downpipe to block in place? Or maybe it's broken?
If they break, they can become the source of a leak because it puts quite a bit of force on the downpipe.

1020352.jpg

You should definitely spray those nuts with penetrant before trying to crack them. Maybe hit them with a wire brush first, and do several applications of penetrant over the course of a few days. If you have to put any force on the nuts, try tapping on the ends of the studs with a wrench or something and apply more penetrant. Those studs will be brittle, and they are even harder to remove when broken. I went through every size of left handed drillbit when I broke one and it still wouldn't back out.
If the stud spins out with the nut, count yourself lucky and don't put it back. Buy new studs and nuts. Buy bolts instead if you have to, just don't try to reuse the old hardware. Tap out the threads (probably 8mmx1.25) in the housing if you end up with that much access. If the stud doesn't come out with the nut and looks like it would put up a fight to the death, don't push your luck unless you have lots of time to carefully manipulate it out on the bench.
If you get the temptation to remove the studs anyway, spray them with penetrant in the holes where they thread into the housing and try to (carefully) bang on the ends a bit with a drift through those holes. If the penetrant comes out rust colored after doing that, you have a better chance. If not, it's probably welded to the housing.
If one of the studs has to be removed because it it's bent, count on having to remove the turbo to work on it.
You might have no problems at all moving the fasteners, but please approach them carefully. I didn't once, and it really sucked. Hours of pressing on a drillbit soaked in ATF.

Last edited:
....I went through every size of left handed drillbit when I broke one and it still wouldn't back out......it really sucked.......Hours of pressing on a drillbit soaked in ATF.

Oh god, your post brings back some terrible memories.... ask me how I know...

I just threw the exhaust housing away and bought a good used one.

Just an idea, do you still have the bracket for downpipe to block in place? Or maybe it's broken?
If they break, they can become the source of a leak because it puts quite a bit of force on the downpipe.

1020352.jpg

Where would this bracket be located? Thanks for the help.

Have you checked the nut on the underside? It may just be loose.

The clamp goes on the down pipe where it passes close to the bell housing. It attaches to one of the bell housing bolts with a special bolt/stud.

GR-52322_2.png

It mounts via a bolt (p/n 1346591) and nut on in the area where the bellhousing is mounted to the engine.
I don't remember if it bolts into the bellhousing or the block but somewhere there (wasn't able to find a picture of it and the parts catalogue doesn't have a diagram either).
It faces backwards towards the rear of the car like on below diagram.
1020353.jpg

GR-52322_2.png

Bracket (or clamp as Volvo calls it) is p/n 1346590: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-header-pipe-clamp-turbo-models-1346590

LLabTqol.jpg

Looks like the bracket is missing. I should probably order the clamp as well as the locknuts and studs that secure the turbo to the downpipe.

Is the locknut that retains the clamp to the bell housing the same as the ones that hold the downpipe to the turbo?

Also, I'm about replace my motor mounts amd discovered that one of the bolts that hold the passenger side motor mount in is missing (as seen in picture).
CDdLeiZl.jpg

Can I buy it from FCP or IPD along with everything else?

Thanks for all the help.

FCP tells me the locknut for the bracket does not fit. Are you sure it's right? EDIT: I checked and it is correct.

Nonetheless, thank you so much for all the links!!!

Last edited:
Just got the clamp and lock nuts and installed them. The downpipe moved so much that it was pretty difficult to install. I tightened it to the turbo after putting in the clamp.
409KBcTl.jpg

Thanks for all the help guys. I wouldn't have figured it out otherwise.

Yeah, they can be a bit hard to install, I remember it well when I replaced the broken one on my car.

Did it cure your leak?

Back