• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Torque for Virgo lug nuts

1980 DL/GL/GLT Owner's Manual, page 74

Installation
Clean the nuts and the contact surface between wheel and hub.
Lift on the wheel and fit the wheel center on the hub shoulder.
Tighten the nuts until the wheel makes good contact with the flange.
Lower the car and tighten the nuts alternately to 72-100 ft. lbs. (100-130 Nm).

Volvo 740 - 63
Pontiac Firefly - 45
Old VW "wide 5" - 72
Old VW regular - 87-94
Most older Fords + Chevys - 100

:nod:
>>85 ft lbs <<
I worked at Discount Tire for a bit in high school and that is what every car got

So YOU'RE the guy that chronically over/under tightened everything, eh??? :rant:

Torque-Lug-Nuts-Lug-Bolts-678x381.jpg

Volvo 740 - 63
Pontiac Firefly - 45
Old VW "wide 5" - 72
Old VW regular - 87-94
Most older Fords + Chevys - 100

So YOU'RE the guy that chronically over/under tightened everything, eh??? :rant:

Torque-Lug-Nuts-Lug-Bolts-678x381.jpg

I tighten the lug nuts on my 88 765 to 68 ft/lb. I learned the hard way what a torque stick and an air-impact do to Volvo lug nuts. Break over bar and 4 foot section of pipe to break lug nuts loose after having new rear tires put on at my area Walmart. The threads in all the lug nuts were damaged. The studs were okay. I replaced the lugs nuts with something from a Chrysler. Same threads, but not locking nuts like the originals.

Last edited:
I had 85lbs stuck in my head, but got to thinking the Virgos may be different. I have a nice set of black McGards on them. I NEVER use an impact, learned that with all the rotor troubles that came with the 740 and 760s. If I’m too lazy to tighten 12 nuts on by hand, well I will give it up.

you must have some aftermarket dust caps?(its only on the front)

I'm pretty sure my 95 960 had it all around.

Not sure if I have any left here. I know I have tossed dozens, if I come across one ill post pics.

65ftlb is correct for early 740/760 with their wimpy wheel studs. I've never seen writing on the early ones I've worked on. People were popping those wheel studs all the time so Volvo decided to help out those ham fisted tire mongers. :lol:

Back