• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Rear lower shock bolt

DavePolyakov

How can I undo the rear lower shock bolt without jacking up the axle slightly to relieve pressure on the bolt? At the junkyard jack?s are not allowed and I want to take the sway bar but I cant figure out how to remove the bolt without jacking up the axle slightly. Any tips would be great, thanks. Car is a 940 wagon

Not encouraging breaking the rules, but I find a functioning jack in a junk car, jack it up, and remove the bolt. Or bribe one of the employees there to lift it with a forklift or something. They would have to nice shocks to go through the trouble.

I walked around for five minutes checking every trunk and I couldn't find a single scissor jack. I will try to talk to one of the workers if I go back, but I did get the brackets though.
Not encouraging breaking the rules, but I find a functioning jack in a junk car, jack it up, and remove the bolt. Or bribe one of the employees there to lift it with a forklift or something. They would have to nice shocks to go through the trouble.

Yes. You do not want to release stored energy that way. Someone that was parting out a 940 SE for me released the control arm when it was loaded by the spring. The lower control alarm for the rear IRS bolts to the frame. He darn near broke his arm doing it.

This sounds interesting, would this actually work? Would it only take one guy?

Done it many times on 240s, the junkyard is full of endless possibilities including the hidden screw jack in 7-9's that prep usually misses.

Sometimes you can tuck the other end under the next car, or reach back with one foot to push the other end down while you remove the bolt.

Worst case ask somebody to help.

Don't do that. Maybe just order new shocks.

RWC, don't kill our newbs please lol

Ask me how I know you're a JY noob ?

:-P

How can I undo the rear lower shock bolt without jacking up the axle slightly to relieve pressure on the bolt? At the junkyard jack?s are not allowed and I want to take the sway bar but I cant figure out how to remove the bolt without jacking up the axle slightly. Any tips would be great, thanks. Car is a 940 wagon

Why would you want a 940 wagon rear sway bar? I'd go for the ones off a sedan - they are larger on the 940 series cars, IIRC.

Or, if you want IPD sway bars, you can also send an email to info@swedishiron.com ... we have lots of Volvo parts for sale!

Only because it's like $30 and my 1990 740 turbo wagon doesn't have a rear sway bar at all. I'm in the middle of a t5 swap and am already pretty deep into my Volvo funds :rofl:
Why would you want a 940 wagon rear sway bar? I'd go for the ones off a sedan - they are larger on the 940 series cars, IIRC.

Or, if you want IPD sway bars, you can also send an email to info@swedishiron.com ... we have lots of Volvo parts for sale!

Back