• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

What size spacer?

ermit71

What size spacer would I need to fit 87 780 wheels, with 25mm offset 6X15" 15 spoke on the front of a 1990 245?

Here are some pictures of the backside of the wheels. The funny silvery circular markings are where the caliper rubbed the wheel.

Thanks

Attachments

• 70165.JPG
    70165.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_1994.jpg
    IMG_1994.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1992.jpg
    IMG_1992.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Tried that, took material off the back of the wheel.

My car did not want to move with the transmission in reverse foot off the brake and parking brake released. Took the wheels off and found the calipers were preventing the wheels from turning freely.

Its a non-abs car. I was very surprised at my inability to drive after the wheels swap, thought it was a bolt on as well.

Maybe if I just put enough kilometers of caliper grinding distance all would free up and then I could re-torque and do it all again. Could be fun just not too practical.

Had some dremel thoughts but am thinking of going the spacer route.

Pics of contact on the back of the wheel in the first post. Its too dark and I am flying at 6 am tomorrow for any more. Yay for 5 hrs of sleep.

Thanks for the info everybody and crazychopstick thanks for the laughs. I too had thoughts of a midnight caliper swap and tried to get hold of the previous owner but couldn't. BAH

The 240 front caliper sticks out right over the edge of the rotor hat as I recall. Does the caliper hit near the center hub of the wheel, or is it hitting the spokes further out from the center?

You could stack some washers on the studs and TEST FIT the wheel only, to see how much spacer is required. 1/4" or 5-6mm is about the limit on the stock studs, and that's pushing it. If it needs more than that, look for different wheels or longer studs with thicker spacers.

It rubs right at the start of the spokes. I am hoping that it will only require up to 5mm worth of spacing. No I will not run the wheels with washers. If I am going to go ahead it will be with the proper materials.

Thanks for the tip towerymt

It rubs right at the start of the spokes. I am hoping that it will only require up to 5mm worth of spacing. No I will not run the wheels with washers. If I am going to go ahead it will be with the proper materials.

Thanks for the tip towerymt

Towery was only suggesting to do that as a method of measurement to determine what spacer thickness you need. He, and anyone else here would never suggest you use that method to correct your problem...;-)

I smelt what he was cooking. I appreciate the information and knowledge represented and shared by members of Turbobricks.

A compounding factor is I am 5000 km away from being able to physically apply suggestions:grrr:

I am just trying to be clear due to suggestions in other threads recently. :-P and to reiterate the fact that is not a recommended application of washers (which I think you just did).

I think (hope) we are in agreement here.:cheers:

I'm really interested in knowing where the rubbing is occuring. It might be the only wheel I know of that doesn't fit 2/7/9s.
LOOK AT THE PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Showing the wheel installed on the car isn't going to show you anything. Looking at the spot where the metal is rubbed away in the pictures in the first post IS going to show you something.

It does fit 7s and 9s. Maybe not jumbo brakes, but maybe yes.

Looks like it'll fit with 5mm spacers.

Now, did they have any issues on the rear of the car? Or just the front?

LOOK AT THE PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Showing the wheel installed on the car isn't going to show you anything. Looking at the spot where the metal is rubbed away in the pictures in the first post IS going to show you something.

It does fit 7s and 9s. Maybe not jumbo brakes, but maybe yes.

Looks like it'll fit with 5mm spacers.

Now, did they have any issues on the rear of the car? Or just the front?

:roll: Whoa. Calm down killer.

I just want to know what part of the caliper is rubbing on the wheel. I'd have trouble determining that from the pictures alrerady posted. It's not even my problem, I'd just like to know for information's sake.

I've made assumptions that most wheels were "2/7/9 compatitble" and would fit w/o problem, I never stated they wouldn't fit 7s and 9s.

Seriously Kyle, don't get so worked up.

Sorry, I was not in a good mood with relations to posts on TB at the time. Still though, it's pretty easy to tell what part of the caliper sits right next to the hub. A picture isn't going to be able to portray very easily where the contact is.

And by saying "It might be the only wheel I know of that doesn't fit 2/7/9s." Is the same as saying that it might not fit 7/9 series cars, as well as 2 series cars.

Back