• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Manual swap LH2.2 to LH2.4 CPS

StreetForged

I just got hold of a 1985 240 with an m46 to do a swap in my drift project, a 1990 aw70 car I've had for a while, and need to get it done in a timely manner and without much more investment. I've been searching hard to find some info about this, but couldn't find any answers that left me with a solid plan.

The donor car has 250k miles (wont likely be a long term trans), while my 90' has about 180k, so I wanted to keep the current engine in the car, and it would avoid any potentially annoying wiring that I'd need to do. I have read that I need an LH2.4 flywheel and a new clutch obviously to go with that in order to use a crank position sensor, as well as drilling/knocking out a spot on the bell housing for the sensor.

Is there any way I can circumvent the need for a new flywheel? I am now debating just swapping the entire engine over instead, but then I'll have to do another AC delete, take my new water pump off my current engine, and probably transfer the ECU/EZK and harnesses over, which is going to be a lot more work than just swapping the transmission, and will leave me with a powerplant likely to fail me a lot sooner than my current one.

That leads me to my second question. This in particular probably has better info I can still find, but how much is different between the two harnesses? Would it be possible for me to retain my current harness to avoid a lot of extra swapping of wires, or is my assumption correct that it would be easier to reroute all the wiring from the donor car, since there are likely connector changes and extra wires on the LH2.4 system? I appreciate anyone's knowledge who can lead me on the simplest path to swapping all this stuff around. I can't wait to finally get rid of the AW, it's been a long time coming!

The LH2.4 harness on a 240 is pretty easy to remove. I would swap the whole thing. re-pinning a LH2.4 for LH2.2 is not difficult, but the other way round you will be short a bunch of wires. since that would mean stripping sections of the 2.4 harness, what's the point?

I think others may have used the hall effect in the LH2.2 distributor to provide the crank trigger, but I never looked into that deeply when I did my LH2.4 conversion (not in a Volvo)

Do a little more searching of the LH2.4 / 2.2 topic. I'm sure others will also chime in.

You can run a hybrid LH2.4 / EZ-117K configuration. I have this configuration in my 242 and it works well.
This eliminates the need to swap flywheels. I am using a 004 distributor.

You do need to address the VSS signal needed by the LH2.4 ECU.

Reference this thread:
https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=347716

LH2.4 pin 25 to EZ-117K pin 8
LH2.4 pin 1 to EZ-117K pin 17
splice in TPS signal to LH2.4 pin 2 / EZ-117K pin 7
7.5v signal to LH2.4 pin 28 (otherwise triggers 3-1-2 code / CEL...turbo applications would connect to EZ-117K pin 15)
VSS signal driven by Dakota Digital SGI-5E / T5 VSS (pin 34)

A M46 won't last long in a drift car. You will need the shifter mechanism from a 700 series car, the 240 will be too far forward.

My m47 lasted 2 years drifting with just around 200whp. You will wanna look into a t5 or zf trans. Like stated before I'd use your 2.4 harness and the manual swap is pretty cake. 2.4 can run up to 15 psi safely on stock ecu and turbo injectors. You can pm me for any volvo drifting questions

My m47 lasted 2 years drifting with just around 200whp. You will wanna look into a t5 or zf trans. Like stated before I'd use your 2.4 harness and the manual swap is pretty cake. 2.4 can run up to 15 psi safely on stock ecu and turbo injectors. You can pm me for any volvo drifting questions
I appreciate that. I think I'll just be staying NA and doing a cam or something for the lifetime of this transmission, so it shouldn't have any more than 120whp. I already slide it around in first gear with an M cam and AW70 as is, so I'm sure it will be plenty of fun until I can source either a +t and T5 setup or just swapping altogether to a 5.0 or something similar.

What sort of adaptations will I have to make to the LH2.4 harness to make it compatible with the hall sensor, and whatever else is different? I've noticed that the ignition control unit on this 85' is huge and looks very outdated compared to the newer style, but they seem to have the same amount of wires. The 85' harness as I'm sure many people already know, is beginning to crumble apart so I'd prefer not to have to use that and start replacing individual wires.

You can run a hybrid LH2.4 / EZ-117K configuration. I have this configuration in my 242 and it works well.
This eliminates the need to swap flywheels. I am using a 004 distributor.

You do need to address the VSS signal needed by the LH2.4 ECU.

Reference this thread:
https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=347716

LH2.4 pin 25 to EZ-117K pin 8
LH2.4 pin 1 to EZ-117K pin 17
splice in TPS signal to LH2.4 pin 2 / EZ-117K pin 7
7.5v signal to LH2.4 pin 28 (otherwise triggers 3-1-2 code / CEL...turbo applications would connect to EZ-117K pin 15)
VSS signal driven by Dakota Digital SGI-5E / T5 VSS (pin 34)

Is the 004 distributor from an LH2.4 car? I suppose I still have a pretty decent amount of research I need to do. Between having the two running, driving cars, will I have every part I need to make a hybrid of both?

1985 240 is not LH2.2, it's LHII -ezk117 goes with LH2.2. not used on 240 until 1986. Do a little research, it's not hard to find out the difference in setups.

Since you don't have LH2.2, you don't have EZK117, so you might as well convert everything to LH2.4/EZK116 from the donor & just gut your dist. So it's just a spark distributor, not a pulse transmitter.

EDIT: see correction from Wren below. Having a senior moment here, mixing up my models :D

Last edited:
The 004 distributor is from LH2.2 240s. It has a plastic connector sticking out of the side.
The LH2.4 240s had a 003 distributor.

Since you have a LH2.4 240, def convert the fuel side to LH2.4. Your choice if you want to add the bracket for crank position sensor and new flywheel for EZ-116K or source a 004 distributor and EZ-117K harness to convert the ignition side to EZ-117K.

1985 240 is not LH2.2, it's LHII -ezk117 goes with LH2.2. not used on 240 until 1986. Do a little research, it's not hard to find out the difference in setups.

Since you don't have LH2.2, you don't have EZK117, so you might as well convert everything to LH2.4/EZK116 from the donor & just gut your dist. So it's just a spark distributor, not a pulse transmitter.

This is completely wrong. 1985 240s absolutely came with LH 2.2. There's one sitting in front of my shop. 007 AMM, etc. 240s with 2.2 didn't get EZK ignition either, they got Chrysler ignition.

This is completely wrong. 1985 240s absolutely came with LH 2.2. There's one sitting in front of my shop. 007 AMM, etc. 240s with 2.2 didn't get EZK ignition either, they got Chrysler ignition.

You are absolutely correct. Having a brain fart. :D "84 was LHII. I was forgetting 240 2.2's only ever had Chrysler ignition.

It is easier, cheaper, more fun and your going to want it eventually. Get it done now instead of trying to trick the stock stuff, a Nissan tps, Saab ign module it couldn’t be easier

It is easier, cheaper, more fun and your going to want it eventually. Get it done now instead of trying to trick the stock stuff, a Nissan tps, Saab ign module it couldn’t be easier

Easy enough to say, if you already have some experience. The ECU alone with some ignition management is at least $300+, and so on.... since he already has a working LH2.4, how is that possibly cheaper & easier?

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tech/megasquirt-systems-compared/

I was guessing it may have been mega squirt. Definitely don't care to find an aftermarket solution for this setup; If I did, I'd probably just swap a bigger motor entirely.

I've ripped most of the donor car apart at this point and labeled a good portion of the wires. The dash harness only has 4 pins on the connector, while my 2.4 car has far more, if I recall correctly I think it was 9. I don't have a radio, air conditioning, or air bag equipment. Is there a write up or something on soldering/repinning these harnesses together so I don't have to swap all the wires under my dash and throughout the body of the car? Seems like a lot of effort that shouldn't really be necessary, since just about everything in the body harness that I still have seems to be functionally the same.

There isn't a direct write up, but my advice is to keep the fuel pump circuit as-is in your 85 and just wire in the LH2.4 ECU / EZK. You will technically have 2x fuel pump relays but it will be less involved to keep the fuel pump circuit separate. Up to you tho.

Wiring diagrams are here:
https://ozvolvo.org/archive/

These documents in the archive may be of interest to you:
TP30057-1 1980 240 260 Wiring Diagrams.pdf
TP30808-1_wiring_diagrams_1985_PRELIM.pdf
TP31361-1_LH-Jet_2.4_B230.pdf
LH Jetronic 2.4.pdf
LH2.4 EZ 116K.pdf

Back