• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AW70 vs M46 Weight?

StreetForged

I can't find weight figures for the transmissions anywhere. Seems like there's a lot more info available for S-chassis, which is where I come from. Does anyone have any idea how much these transmissions weigh, or rather, how much an m46 car weighs in comparison to an aw70 car, since there are other variables like the different pedal box and cables?

I have a completely gutted out 244 that weighed in the ballpark range of 2600lbs last I weighed it with an AW70, and I have an M46 swap i have in my garage. I'm curious to how much weight it should potentially shave, as manual transmissions are typically lighter than auto boxes.

I think AW is about 150 and M46 is about 90 lb.

I'd sure love that to be the case. I've heard that they're pretty heavy due to the overdrive unit and being made of cast iron, so I imagined that the difference wouldn't be that high.

Once a person starts drilling holes in metal to save weight and cutting out the ribbing from the hood and trunk, it's safe to say that they care even if the difference is a few lbs lol.

I'd sure love that to be the case. I've heard that they're pretty heavy due to the overdrive unit and being made of cast iron, so I imagined that the difference wouldn't be that high.

Once a person starts drilling holes in metal to save weight and cutting out the ribbing from the hood and trunk, it's safe to say that they care even if the difference is a few lbs lol.
Try helium in the tires? Buy a Miata?

Try helium in the tires? Buy a Miata?

I like the 200 chassis because it's fairly unique compared to most of the popular drift platforms. It wasn't really about picking the best thing. I like that people just assume these cars are really heavy.

Aiming for 2500lbs at the end but I'll keep adding on more weight when i weld in harness bar piping, rivet in the metal side skirts I just made, finish up some under body bracing, and switch from inline to dual caliper hydro e brake. I can see all that stuff adding up to be far over 50lbs of metal.

I think AW is about 150 and M46 is about 90 lb.

:nod:

From brickboard;

How much does an AW71 trans weigh? [700][1991]
posted by john sargent on Thu Dec 18 13:02 CST 2003 V
Very close to 150 pounds with the torque convertor. I have shipped two by UPS (weight limit 150 pounds). I can't quite get the package, transmission, and torque convertor to weigh under 150 pounds. So, after buliding a shipping box for the transmission, I ship the torque convertor separately.
--
john

I like the 200 chassis because it's fairly unique compared to most of the popular drift platforms. It wasn't really about picking the best thing. I like that people just assume these cars are really heavy.

Aiming for 2500lbs at the end but I'll keep adding on more weight when i weld in harness bar piping, rivet in the metal side skirts I just made, finish up some under body bracing, and switch from inline to dual caliper hydro e brake. I can see all that stuff adding up to be far over 50lbs of metal.

Drifting with a M46? Good luck.

That being said it is defiantly lighter, If I find a scale I can weigh the two tomorrow

As far as petal boxes and cables you'll probably loose more weight having a lighter lunch before a run then getting those on a scale

Drifting with a M46? Good luck.

That being said it is defiantly lighter, If I find a scale I can weigh the two tomorrow

As far as petal boxes and cables you'll probably loose more weight having a lighter lunch before a run then getting those on a scale

It's going to be stock engine, just an OE cam swap, probably A cam because they're cheap and seemingly easy to find. I needed a lot of parts from the car I got with the swap, and it was only 300 bucks so it was a good deal. I plan to swap to something bigger once I sell my Banshee. Going to try to find the best deal I can for a manual trans inline 6 or V8 with a power goal of 350-500 crank, depending on what I end up getting a hold of.

You all are forgetting an important piece of the puzzle. The flywheel, pressure plate and clutch disc. I think the difference between the 2 different transmission packages is closer to 20 lb or less. John's weight statement is very close. I've shipped several AW-71s and I usually estimate the palletized transmission at 200 lb for quotation purposes. I'll be shipping one later today. I'll take my scale with me and weigh the pallet it is shipping on and I'll have the actual ship weight on the Bill of Lading.

It's going to be stock engine, just an OE cam swap, probably A cam because they're cheap and seemingly easy to find. I needed a lot of parts from the car I got with the swap, and it was only 300 bucks so it was a good deal. I plan to swap to something bigger once I sell my Banshee. Going to try to find the best deal I can for a manual trans inline 6 or V8 with a power goal of 350-500 crank, depending on what I end up getting a hold of.

As James said above, Good luck. The M46 is a WEAK transmission. It will not hold up to what you have planned for it.

The transmission by itself weighs about 130 lbs. The toque converter is 20, maybe 25 lbs. Putting on a pallet obviously adds a bit of weight.

Also not what you're asking for, but I just weighed an M47 I overhauled. Complete w/giubo but no shift fork or shifter (but with shifter cage), 73 lbs.

Back