• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

MikeSr.'s 242 V-8 project

Moar pics

90mm throttle body:
145332457.jpg

Fitting the GM performance windage tray and pickup tube.
145332470.jpg

comparison of stock truck oil pan and GM performance pan. Nearly two inches more sump clearance forward and 1&1/2" vertically.
145332474.jpg

Thanks to Joe at Bulldog Musclecars for putting me onto this pan.
Looks good mounted:
145332479.jpg

5.3 L of hotness!
145332488.jpg

L33's are animals they share so much with the ls more than the reg 5.3's.. I remember i dynoed my truck back in the day 278whp and 302rwtq and they are also very rev happy have fun.

I've been talking to some local guys about these motors and they are saying 70-80 hp upgrade is super easy, and still streetable.

We got the engine bay ready. The motor and trans were already out of it when we got it so that made things a little easier. Also pulled the seats, shifter, and front carpet.
145351279.jpg

145351281.jpg

145351284.jpg

145351288.jpg

145351289.jpg

Yeah , after some research, it is definitely a LH6, which means I have to pull the heads and change the lifters and the oil pump. This is a Gen IV motor which has DOD or AFM which is to be deleted.
Ain't nothin but a thing.

Does that have to do with cylinder deactivation Mike? Don't know all about my Lxx engines yet....

Yep- DOD is a fuel conservation strategy that under light load cruise will use a hydraulic system to deactivate 4 intake valves while electronically shutting off fuel and ignition, turning it into a 4 cylinder.
So, my options are to get the correct harness and ECM and run it like it is, remove the lifters, valley cover and oil pump and exchange for non-DOD parts, or remove and go Megasquirt. This is problematic because I am not sure if MS can decode a 58 tooth crank trigger wheel, which is what I have. Need moar info.

So after further discussions with my LS GM guy, all I need to do is change the valley cover to an Ls 1 and delete DOD in the ECM.

If you could figure out how to do it that would be very cool and very practical you would have a v-8 powered car that gets almost 30mpg.

You don't need cylinder deactivation for a V8 powered 242 to get almost 30 mpg.....mine regularly gets 27-27.5 under sustained cruise; best 1/2 tank of 29.2! Hackster's cast iron 5.3L w/T56 got 28+ on it's first extended cruise.

Well it depends on what I am able to run across in the way of harnesses and computers. I originally thought about MS, but I have a MS 2, and the most recent waves of problems with resets and noise have given me second thoughts. MS 3 looks promising for full sequential spark and ignition, but additional cost begins to exceed the cost of GM ECM.

Well we found a T56 so it looks like that's the route we'll be going instead of a 700R4. We got the motor in today and man does this look like it's going to be a bitch. The T56 no where near fits the tunnel and the cross member will most definitely need to be cut. I'm going to copy hacksters build as close as I can as far as tunnel and crossmember mods. Of course it's always a lot harder after you've gotten a few beers in you.

Back