• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Rex Regina + T Completed

jvluntzel

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to start a thread for those out there with the Rex Regina EFI in their volvos who need more power.

As detailed in this thread:

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=342889

My stock motor was toast and I found a nice healthy 95 year B230FT and grabbed it and the transmission.

I decided to keep the Rex Regina EFI for multiple reasons.

1. 1 MAP based over MAF based for ease of intake installation and less problematic
  2. 2 Very similar to EFI used on jeep 4.0 and there is a ton of documentation on turbocharging those
  3. 3 A CHALLENGEEEEE

The stock map sensor is good for up to .483 BAR (7 psi) so staying under that for now is critical.

► I utilized OEM Volvo Bosch Orange injectors (315 cc from 850 turbo) As they are high impedance (no injector resistors needed) and have a better spray pattern than the factory 940 turbo injectors. Along with this I used the 3 bar FPR from the 940 turbo.

► The reason for the 315cc injectors is the following equation:

Est HP: 190.00 (non turbo hp 115 + 10/ psi = 185 ish)
BSFC: 0.60
Duty Cycle: 0.80

The 315 injectors rating is a@ 2.5 bar. So at 3 bar I am getting 378 cc/min

Injector size = (Hp * BSFC) / (# of injectors * duty cycle)

Injector size = 35.625 lb/hr = 374.1 (only 1.04%) from my chosen injectors. :-P

► I used the Rex Regina intake manifold as it has a provision for the cold start injector and there is no hole for the now non existent EGR (I took the fitting from the exhaust manifold and welded it shut)

Ok now for the turbo I have the Mitsu 13C. Running stock boost pressure (7 psi) I also have a wideband and I am using the emulated narrowband output being fed to the ECU. Stock timing as well.

The car runs amazing and is pretty dang fast. I am using Lambda for the Air fuels and under boost It holds at .8-.83 (11.76-12.20) which is very safe. At idle and off throttle it targets and holds 1.00 (14.7)

I am confident that the Rex Regina is an excellent choice for those looking for lower boost pressures, and I will be experimenting with different map sensors to see how it handles it (and if any tuning is needed)

29431100138_e04541ebda_b.jpg

42582667054_9ce1487fb5_b.jpg

42582666744_a9ecc77c35_b.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions

Last edited:
:rockon:

Did you have any trouble getting the ECU to work with the wideband sensor / narrowband simulation? Is this still using the Regina NGK 02 sensors?

Awesome, but those injectors should be high impedance, not low. High impedance do not need the resistor pack.

Fixed lol I was thinking about low while writing :-P

:rockon:

Did you have any trouble getting the ECU to work with the wideband sensor / narrowband simulation? Is this still using the Regina NGK 02 sensors?

I used a single wideband sensor with a controller from 14point7 (SLC Free 2) and that controller has a narrowband output. Runs great.

Last edited:
Hey y'all! Update time!

I've put a few thousand miles on the car since it's been turbo swapped and the Regina turbo setup is running great!!! I have been running wastegate pressure (5-6) psi and my afrs have bee great. This is on the 315cc orange (@3.5 bar) injectors but my fpr is 3.0 bar so they are more like 270cc.

I got a set of v70 400cc blues (which at 3.0 bar is more like 340cc) and a nice MBC (turbonetics style)

I did some testing watching the afrs and have it set at 12 psi and she runs awesome!!!! This is on completely STOCK Regina EFI. No piggyback or anything with an safc I could easily crank the duty cycle up and run more boost

Happy turboing and have a great day!!!

The Rex part of the regina does the timing. It is an ignition box that runs the timing. Never been cracked. I did take the top off one here a few weeks ago and posted a picture of it and it's Motorolla chip.

To answer your question it probably advances the timing as the revs go up just like any other non turbo ignition curve.

The Rex part of the regina does the timing. It is an ignition box that runs the timing. Never been cracked. I did take the top off one here a few weeks ago and posted a picture of it and it's Motorolla chip.

To answer your question it probably advances the timing as the revs go up just like any other non turbo ignition curve.

Ah, so not really ideal. Happy it works well for OP though

Ah, so not really ideal. Happy it works well for OP though

Yeah I have a knock box to record counts and havent had any issues yet..but I dont like it.

I am looking into a system like the MSD boost retard for safety. Ill let you know how it goes.

I had only ever seen the older thread that used the full throttle switch to trigger the cold start injector; this install seems way better. If I ever get another Regina car I’ll have to try this out!

Back