• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Koni damping rates for 740/940

This,

Also Bilsteins can get water down in the cylinder and it hydrolocks the damper creating a horrible ride.

And Konis do not have this problem, then? The adjustability certainly has some appeal to me but realistically once it's set the way I want it'll probably end up staying there. Would be nice to get both on a shock dyno for comparison.

I had Billy HDs and TME sport springs on my old 744t and currently have Koni sports on my 945 with TME springs in front and 150 lb/in eibachs in the back. Neither car was/is slammed. Bilsteins were always crashy and too stiff for my liking.

I'm enjoying the Konis much more, better compromise for stiffness and seem to be a better match for mildly upgraded springs. Prior to the Konis the wagon had the TME springs with new OE turbo gas shocks front and rear. Personally, for a DD, I think TME or some mild sport spring and some fresh OE (german made) gas struts/shocks is the best all around combo for a DD. Konis are great for a weekend car that does some occasional commuting. That's just me though.

And Konis do not have this problem, then? The adjustability certainly has some appeal to me but realistically once it's set the way I want it'll probably end up staying there. Would be nice to get both on a shock dyno for comparison.

No, they don't. It's not an inverted strut. There's no cavity to get filled with water.

I have heard of that but never seen it. Volvo struts are open at the bottom, maybe Z struts or others that are sealed collect more water. Or they failed to grease the sliders, no boots, etc.

I have heard of that but never seen it. Volvo struts are open at the bottom, maybe Z struts or others that are sealed collect more water. Or they failed to grease the sliders, no boots, etc.

I know Billys 740 had that problem and we couldn't figure out why the suspension was so stiff.

I think towery had that problem too.

It's common if you are running coilovers and can't fit the factory Bilstein dust boot.

Back