• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 740 Turbo Conversion - Street/Track Build

Pete.M

Slow Member
I guess I didn't post here previously because the quality of projects is often very high. However, some friends have convinced me to contribute to a YouTube channel so now I'm whoring it out everywhere.

I'm going to keep it short, and suggest that you watch the video for a run-down of the work done so far.

It was originally 2.0 non-turbo K-Jet. I've fitted a B230FK with LH2.4 & M90.

https://youtu.be/EX3ozplNQr0

Pictures for those who just want a quick snapshot:

Nice! Always a joy to see more of these 7/9 sedans, generally unloved on TB. Many of your mods look darn familiar, and I'll bet that baby will scoot! Going to watch the video soon.......continue to share, these sedans are finally gaining some traction here.

Thanks. That's an underbody brace made by Viking Fabrications, here in UK.

Good stuff! I had a look at Viking performance and will probably have to buy some now:-P

Btw, if you want a 3d printed holder for the 128x32 oled, I was planning on making one for the 7-series cluster, so it wouldn't be too much of a hassle to make a second one with the settings dialed in:) I'm guessing it's an arduino with a mxp pressure sensor of some sorts?

Cool, I'd be interested to see how it turns out. My current cut-out isn't particularly clean so I'm sure the printed version would be better. Yes mxp5700ap sensor.

Nice video, details your improvements quite well! I really like your exhaust work.... apparently no CAT is required in the UK, or is this an off road vehicle only? You did better than I did in tucking your exhaust higher..... my 3" DP really is too long and pushes the system too low in the forward section. I also run a 2.5" exhaust over axle and thru my TME muffler. As I drive my car daily, I added a VIBRANT resonator to remove the 4 cylinder drone at highway speeds.

Overall, impressive. Looking forward to more videos, and hopefully you can get your sheet metal restored on the 740 Hoon Saloon :-)

Nice 740. I bought Viking Performance's old 740 turbo that he modded to the max. Also looking to track it at some point. In your videos you sound Scottish, still live up here?

Cheers. I think I remember that car. For my sins I moved to NW England.

The 740 somehow passed the MOT at the start of July despite a seized strut top bearing. They must have liked the car. I had to buy new strut top/camber adjustment assemblies to suit the BC coilovers. (Went with TXR motorsport) Those took over two weeks to arrive. I couldn't do much driving until that was sorted.

It's great fun to drive. The only real problems that were immediately apparent are that the viscous fan is worn out, and the propshaft centre carrier needs replaced. The movement in the carrier has been amplified by everything else being so solid. (Stiff engine mounts and heim joints on rear axle)

I cleverly arranged two track days right next to each other - 3rd and 4th of August. It turned out I was right to be worried about this because a heater hose burst open on the first track day. It was a fairly easy fix with some silicone hose, but I want to order the correct part. Then on the second track day, I was having further issues with the cooling system. The worn out fan being one issue. At first we were worried that the engine was pushing exhaust gas into the system, since coolant was pushing out of the cap on the reservoir. With further trials, it looks like it's just a bad seal on the cap.

The power steering can't handle more than a couple mins of hard driving. Not only that but it started running on three cylinders at the end of the day. We couldn't see anything wrong on the ignition side. It quickly cleared up when I started driving home, but the underlying problem definitely hasn't gone away.

I still got plenty of time on the track. Here's some footage:

https://youtu.be/9jGGsf2yImc

Thanks, the camera makes it look better than it really is.

Possibly. First of all I'm trying different fluid. I had some generic power steering fluid which doesn't have any specifications. Now I'm using ATF that meets Dexron III.

I've got a few hoses, a thermostat, and distributor seals to replace. Plus maybe fit the electric fan.

Next event is a wet drift day in September.

Looking good!

Similar experience with the power steering on the track, even with underdrive crank pulley. Forgot which fluid but it was some quality.

German market 940's had a very short extra pigtail in the PS return line to shed a little bit of heat.

I'm going to get some 12mm? hydraulic tubing and some Ermeto couplers and bend up a loop parallel with the steering rack, or in front of the intercooler. Should cost only a few quid and probably fix the issue. Or maybe a bigger metal reservoir will shed more heat too.

Back