• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

swedishautoparts.com - Gone?

Back in the 80s a lot of small business places for new and used import parts closed in my area. After about ten years the new parts places were all the chains we have now. Autozone, Advance, etc. Very few used parts places. We have small business left nearby and even they became a NAPA. Plus they deliver to the trade so that helps. The ebb and flow of the market and business opportunity.

Most of what swedish car parts sells are reproductions which means high prices. A lot of genuine parts are still available but people are lazy and don't do research. Ipd has gone downhill on genuine parts. Fortunately they do carry some parts but stock is always low. Swedish cars parts is great resource for ready to buy parts that you really can't get anywhere else.

SCP has some good stuff, but they definitely charge a premium for their reproduction parts. Their P80 heater cores are pretty good though!

My momma said, 'You better shop around.' It's always been a shop around experience for Volvo parts.

For what it's worth. Swedish Car Parts was also very generous and donated a bunch of parts to our prize drawing at our meet last year. Real stuff like a set of rear sedan 240 tailights and a set of 740 tailights. Very nice of them.

SCP has some good stuff, but they definitely charge a premium for their reproduction parts. Their P80 heater cores are pretty good though!

If you had any idea what it costs to reproduce a part then you would understand why their prices are what they are. I'm happy someone is willing to put up so much capital to reproduce these parts. A small single cavity injection mold can run $10,000+. How many parts do you have to sell to recover that?

If you had any idea what it costs to reproduce a part then you would understand why their prices are what they are. I'm happy someone is willing to put up so much capital to reproduce these parts. A small single cavity injection mold can run $10,000+. How many parts do you have to sell to recover that?

For that exact reason, I'm starting to stock up on these reproduced parts that may not be available in five or ten years.. Because if you don't have a room filled with Volvo parts you don't intend to use immediately, you're doing it wrong :lol:

For that exact reason, I'm starting to stock up on these reproduced parts that may not be available in five or ten years.. Because if you don't have a room filled with Volvo parts you don't intend to use immediately, you're doing it wrong :lol:
Do we not all have that? :lol:

Oh no, I understand the cost, I wasn't criticizing it. I'm happy to see somebody making all of these parts (door pockets, other plastic trim, etc.). Most of our 240s' interiors are falling apart by now if they haven't been meticulously maintained, so it's needed. Every plastic piece of mine is broken. I probably won't replace them though since this will be more of a beater street/track car.
But if I do decide to replace them, I'll source them from SCP.

Some of the prices are wack, case in point

VOLVO 240 instrument cluster bezel - SCP $19.95 reduced from $28!

VOLVO 240 instrument cluster bezel - IPD $5.95

Sometimes they use a wacky number just as a place holder. I was on the phone with them one time and asked why the price on their shocks for a 240 was almost $400. They told me it's just a place holder and they charge only $88 for a set of four shocks at that time. They told me they correct the price when you do checkout. I thought it was weird but I was only charged $88 for the shocks. They have always been pleasant to deal with.

Sometimes they use a wacky number just as a place holder. I was on the phone with them one time and asked why the price on their shocks for a 240 was almost $400. They told me it's just a place holder and they charge only $88 for a set of four shocks at that time. They told me they correct the price when you do checkout. I thought it was weird but I was only charged $88 for the shocks. They have always been pleasant to deal with.

Wow, that's an incredibly strange marketing strategy.

SCP also sells the original reflective tape for the recesses on the 240's bumper. Expensive, but I can't find any generic reflective tape with the cool raster pattern.

Some parts come up as discontinued on the online catalogs when they're actually still available. This is one of them. There are 97 of them in the warehouse in Sweden and you can order them from your local dealer.

Back