• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Restoring my 1983 242T

Hi, I have a 1983 242T, Auto. The car was someone else's project and did not come with the short block, everything else seems to be here, is it ok to replace the block and use the turbo head? Thinking of using a 1993 block, and drilling the turbo return line port, and then install the turbo head? I'm not going to use Kjet, and the head already has the blanking plates installed. I'm thinking of using 2.4 from a later car for engine management, any thoughts about this thanks TB

You could. That said, a B230FT head might be more desirable, since it wouldn't be a kludge when it comes to sourcing gaskets, etc... It will also have the correct cam cover for use with the B230 timing cover parts, etc... But, yes, a B21/23 head will work on a B230 block. If you are going to use the original head, it might be a good idea to modify the coolant passages so they are the more desirable small passages, and not the original large passages that might not take too kindly to boost with the larger bores of the B23/230 blocks, especially if you decide to rebuild the B230F block and have to overbore it.

I have a 530 head from an 1995 NA car, and am looking for a k-jet head, maybe we could work something out if you want a full late model setup. It needs coolant port corrosion work though. Also to use lh2.4 on the early head, you need to drill and tap a spot for the ecu engine coolant temperature sensor, but that is easy.

If you are going to use the original head, it might be a good idea to modify the coolant passages so they are the more desirable small passages, and not the original large passages that might not take too kindly to boost with the larger bores of the B23/230 blocks, especially if you decide to rebuild the B230F block and have to overbore it.

Do you have any more information about exactly how a big coolant port head has to be modified? I might be having welding done on mine to repair cracks and I might as well have them weld up the "weakness" if they're already in there. :-D

^Needs to be welded closed, then redrilled and shaped to the smaller passage size. Had it done to a B23E head many moons ago.

Thank You all, I think I'm just gonna go with a 1985 Turbo Engine complete, and still modify it to 2.4 if possible (Dave barton has posted a write-up
hanks I will be asking a lot of questions as I proceed

Back