• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Rear end and transmission

WagenSport

(90' 760T)Whats the best rear end and manual transmission combo for power approaching 250wheel? I want a locker, so i guess 940 rear end or something of that nature? Whats going to bolt in easiest?

250 whp and you are quite likely to explode an M46. It's not so much abusive shifting and clutch dropping (although that would probably kill one) as it is simply too much torque. 3rd gear is likely to just let go under full boost.

T5 swap is the way forward.

Sorry if I mis-read your info here:
your sig said:
Ebay MBC- 15 psi
VDO 30lb boost gauge
Cone Filter
Soon to be Test pipe & rear muffler delete

You aren't near 250 wheel. You might have... 175? maybe a bit more but not much.

aw71 or m46 will take that abuse no problem

1- i dont have an independent rear... its solid. 2- I just warped my head and blew the head gasket, so im sending it out for some working, going to a 15g with added fueling and maybe a IPD cam... i just want a good supporting drive train.

do you have a wagon?

940 rear would work fine. get one from a turbo or car with heated seats and it should be a locker. to check, wipe off the undercoating on the left tube. if it says 3.73 1041, you've got the right one.

keep the aw71 unless yours is bad. add another trans cooler, and consider doing the "accumulator mod" along with running nice fluid

15g, good exhaust, a nice intercooler, bigger injectors and maybe a bigger maf, ported manifold and an ipd turbo cam would be very close to 250whp at 18-20psi

15g, good exhaust, a nice intercooler, bigger injectors and maybe a bigger maf, ported manifold and an ipd turbo cam would be very close to 250whp at 18-20psi

thats pretty optimistic I think. MAYBE, but i dunno...
/end benchrace

Any combo will yield a lot of fun. Good luck on your rebuild

Thanks for all the tips guys! Helps alot for pointers. I really want to get a manual, but i guess ill just fix the OD and run this aw71 till it kicks the bucket. So the 940 rear is a 3.73 then? is that a steeper ratio then the factory on my wagon? Either way i would love to just get a locker.

Should i just "engineer" my own MAF housing or do you guys have a commonly used larger housing i can run?

Last edited:
If you've got a nicely modded turbo engine, you won't need the lower gearing. Most people end up looking for a taller first gear. That's one of the nice things about the Mustang T5 swap, taller first gear. That way the gear lasts long enough to actually get into boost, and it's not like you'd have enough traction to do much with a lower 1st gear going through a 4.10 rear end.

Back