• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Disaster = performance

WagenSport

(90' 760t)Long story short, over heated the engine, head gasket is done, guessing the head is warped. Out with the old in with the new head is going to be the last thing to get done due to funding but... i just ordered head gasket kit, new head bolts, themostat, timing belt and tenisoner, and a new water pump. Beyound that i would like some guidance. I am going to grab a volvo 15g from the local pick and pull yard. I understand i need to rotate the orientation of the compressor housing on the turbo assembly to make the whole RWD situation work out... correct? What do you guys recommend as far as injectors? Not sure what boost i want to do yet. I was running 15lbs on the stock 13c. I would like to do something reasonable with the 15g yet still potent. Looking at picking up an ebay 255lph intank pump. Head to be decked, P+P and i was considering larger valves. I really want to include an IPD cam in as well as the timing gear, however that will be funds allowing. So i guess my main questions for you fellas are what is the best fueling set up to do, for this as far as injectors/fpr/ maybe even chip? I'm also guessing i will have to get a downpipe made up for the 15g, or is the exhaust outlet the same as the 13c? ( doubt but ya never know i guess. ) If so who is recomended for a good exhaust system, or at least downpipe? I would like 3". Also while i have the head off what should i do as far as concentrating on teh flame trap etc. Just a good cleaning or what? Anything else ya fellas can think of that iam leaving out would be much appreciated. I would like to get an agenda set up for this thing. Oh yes, as far as manual transmissions and rear ends go, i would like to swap out my non lock and auto trans for a manual and locker asap. What is the easier bolt in/ best combo for my car. I would like a steeper final drive if volvo ever put one in a locker, which manuals will bolt up? Sorry for all the questions, just want to gather as many educated opinions as possible before i dig in to far. Thanks!

I only made it through the first couple lines of text...lack of punctuation caused my eyes to cross. The first two lines sound good to me!

you def dont need to upgrade injectors if your only running 15 psi of boost. the stock stuff is good to about 18 psi. with my experience i was running 20 psi on a stock garrett t3 on my 740 and my afrs were almost perfect just a tad lean. some cars like to run a little lean and some like to run a little rich. if i were you, just to be sure i would get your swap done and hit the dyno, they can tell you if you need more fuel . as far as your exhuast a 3'' dp would be good but not really critical. i would just leave the dp stock and do 3'' back with a good muffler btw dont cheap out on the ipd turbo cam, it will work wonders with your new turbo.

You really think the stock fueling will hold up with a 15g at 15psi? IT just seemed like while i was tuning the MBC with the stock turbo i started getting a fuel shortage around 17 so i stayed away. I agree though i really want the IPD cam.

get browntop or similar 38lb low impedance injectors. that will be plenty for 18psi

you need a 3" downpipe and cat at the very least with that combo...and buy the ipd turbo cam while you're at it. call up and mention the TB group buy and it's $150 shipped...deal of the year, by far

Damn, yeah i would say that is a terrific deal. Where are the brown tops obtainable. I might go pick and pullin this weekend. I thought i read something about the turbo thunderbirds... anything else they came in? And yeah that 13c will hold 15 lbs fine.

15psi thru the 15g will feel a lot better than 15 thru the 13c. I'd certainly go with the browntops (Merkur XR4Ti or Ford Turbo Coupe's from the mid-late 80's - p/n E5ZE-A3(a3a or a3b, same deal). It's certainly better safe than sorry. You could also grab a 4-bar FPR from a turbo dodge and run that with your current injectors for a bit more fuel if you can't find the BT's. The 15g with the conical flange will fit using your stock DP, though the flat-flange version flows better. Mike (thelostartof) may still have a DP or two laying around, though he's kinda cleaning out his stock a bit. OS valves would be cool if you've got the cash, the turbo cam will be nice, chips are certainly a good way to go, but it all depends on cash.

Also I'd certainly look into a real intercooler. NPR or any of the vast variety of ebay coolers will make a pretty healthy difference with those levels of boost.

So i ordered a 29x9x2.5 front mount today, with a bunch of universal piping and sleeves. Ive read a bunch of threads on blow off valves but i have yet to find a conclusive answer. I understand my car is running metered air after the I/C, but is it possible with a properly adjusted blow off valve, ( greddy type RS off of my volkswagen ) to run decent, without going crazy rich. I understand i would need a block off plate for the 15g, and i already have a intercooler pipe with a greddy type RS flange on the way. So what do you guys think, i would really love to run the RS in 100% atmospheric mode, rather then having it in recirc.

Just off the top of your head from seeing other similarly modded 700 series, what do you guys think i should expect out of these modifications. As far as crank hp and EST 1/4. I know its a ball park but iam just wondering. Assuming fmic, 15g @ or around 15psi, 255 lph intank pump, brown tops, AMM moved right before IAC, with 100% atmoshperic greddy type RS, 8mm plug wires, renewed head ( at the very least ).

plus a 3" downpipe and exhaust, and fully ported manifold and turbine housing? (don't move the AMM, not worth it).

235-250hp at crank (200-220whp), 14.4 or faster. hope you get a better cam or get the exhaust side of the head ported. if you get headwork done, contact Fidel, he can get you some bitchener bigger exhaust valves for more power and quicker spool

plus a 3" downpipe and exhaust, and fully ported manifold and turbine housing? (don't move the AMM, not worth it).

235-250hp at crank (200-220whp), 14.4 or faster. hope you get a better cam or get the exhaust side of the head ported. if you get headwork done, contact Fidel, he can get you some bitchener bigger exhaust valves for more power and quicker spool
I want to run my greddy type rs though. Wont i run super rich is i let out so much unmetered air. At least that was the case on my VW 1.8t.

Goodies that came in the mail today:

Timing Belt kit, Themo, 255 fuel pump, and R/C/C/R tails

Harvested this guy off the jetta today, took off the recirc. adapter off in ansy anticipation...

Last edited:
More today: Plus the 225/60/15s Kuhmo Ecsta ASXs came in today, but i have to go pick them up at that UPS customer service center.
(Tinted A/F gauge, 8mm spark wires, Greddy Type RS mounting tube )

Back