• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

volvo 240 engine swap.

racingtazz

Hi,
I have a lovely 92 volvo 240 2.0l estate manual.but it just lacks power i want to upgrade it to something more powerfull turbo or non turbo. something that wont break the bank under a grand.
i dont want to do lots of welding like a T5 swap etc thats too much a straight swap would be best. but not sure what available.
any help would be welcome. i not looking for a sleeper just something that pulls better than a 92 volvo.
many thanks in advance i read some post but some are confusing so many different numbers etc.

Under a grand? Do you have a free donor car? Any of the non-original motors will require some fabrication, and honestly don't think they would stay within that budget. The transmission is going to cost close to your budget.
Seeing 2.0L engine in a 1992, I assume you are across some pond from us here.

You could piece together a +t with used parts for less than a grand (of which I have an entire +t for sale) but no promises on completely grenading your trans.

I also have a T5 trans swap for sale, but that's definitely over $1000.

You can get yourself the setup from a late model 700 or 940 turbo. A turbo motor would be good to give you a lot more power while still being reasonable cost for fuel. The 2.3 turbo will give you the power you are looking for. For the budget you mention you could probably buy the whole car and swap the parts needed to yours.

many thanks. again i assummed 740 and 900 was cheapest option and most practical. Thanks for confirming info. I will do some extra mods to make car special.

IMO the best is to do a +T, your car is already manual so you need the ECM, Injectors, Resistance, suppressor, exhaust manifold and turbo (downpipe you'll have to order or get done). It'll be day and night in comparison to your current setup and at least from there, you'll know if you wish to keep going that route and opting for a b230ft to get a bit more.

N/A Bloc with +T is quite peppy and pleasant.

Back