home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 12-04-2019, 02:25 AM   #1
eregan
Board Member

Default 92 244GL N/A Build

Have been working on this car for a year or so now, has come together nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9ajtR14wSU

Suspension mods:
IPD sways & panhard, poly bushes almost everywhere, cut IPD springs, Koni yellows up front, KYB in rear, Kalplhenke QSRC, Kaplhenke strut brace w/ master cyl reinforcer.

Power mods:
Ported 83' BCP head, 5-angle valve cut, shaved .045, Cometic .027 HG, RSI Stage 1 N/A cam, STS adj cam gear, pink injectors, Cherry Bomb side pipe exhaust, chip tune.

Other sh*t:
Gutted heater core/blower motor, removed a lot of insulation, AC delete, Subaru seat, China short throw shifter w/ brass bushes, 52mm Volvo tach, 52mm VDO voltage gauge, AEM wide-band.

Special thanks to: Sudbury Volvo Service, photoman327, redblockpowered, shoestring, and mblue240 for helping me with advice and parts on this build.
eregan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:29 AM   #2
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

Hey! I thought I recognized this 244... I PM’d you a few days ago on Instagram about your seats. Looking good!

Is that a Craving Boost short shifter?

-Project Thread-

Follow on IG: @vol242vo
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:37 AM   #3
eregan
Board Member

I think the seats are from a 2004 WRX.

This is the shifter: https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32810106598.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol242vo View Post
Hey! I thought I recognized this 244... I PM’d you a few days ago on Instagram about your seats. Looking good!

Is that a Craving Boost short shifter?
Old 12-04-2019, 12:31 PM   #4
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

Cool car.

|Feedback|
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:33 PM   #5
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

How long have you had the shifter installed and what is your opinion of it? Quality? $60 is a great deal.
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:36 AM   #6
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Sweet ride.

@PDXvolvo on IG
LC4CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:46 PM   #7
redblockpowered
cone dodging dilettante

Nice to finally see this thing on here!
redblockpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 12:16 PM   #8
klr142
Turbo, what?

Bump. How's it been? The cam, the compression, etc.. I never heard a review after you got the RSI cam in.
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:26 PM   #9
eregan
Board Member

Great cam. Power all the way to redline. At idle sounds like a Harley. Had a guy ask if I had a 350 under the hood haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr142 View Post
Bump. How's it been? The cam, the compression, etc.. I never heard a review after you got the RSI cam in.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:22 AM   #10
klr142
Turbo, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eregan View Post
Great cam. Power all the way to redline. At idle sounds like a Harley. Had a guy ask if I had a 350 under the hood haha.
I got a question like that once with it too, I think!
Old 04-16-2020, 08:29 AM   #11
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

How do you like the shifter? Can you tell a difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eregan View Post
Old 04-16-2020, 04:38 PM   #12
77volvo245
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJr. View Post

I had the sam shifter from Sweden in my car and had to get rid of it because it was so noisy while driving from vibration. My shifter had steel split bushing between the aluminum and steel shafts. There needs to be rubber insulator between the two materials.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:07 PM   #13
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77volvo245 View Post
I had the sam shifter from Sweden in my car and had to get rid of it because it was so noisy while driving from vibration. My shifter had steel split bushing between the aluminum and steel shafts. There needs to be rubber insulator between the two materials.
Same, but with the Chinese shifter.
A delrin center section (reverse lockout) would be a nice upgrade on one of those.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:07 AM   #14
eregan
Board Member

Yes, the shifter is extremely tight and significantly shorter. Mind you there is something special about the stock M46/7 shift throws being about 4 feet long.

Only issue I have is the shift knob rattles at certain RPMs but the car is so loud I hardly notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJr. View Post
Old 04-18-2020, 08:15 AM   #15
eregan
Board Member

I'm off doing army stuff right now, but when I get home I'm re-gearing to 4.10, installing a Corbeau Forza seat via Kaplhenke V3 side mounts, and a Momo Mod 07 wheel.

Last edited by eregan; 04-18-2020 at 09:31 AM..
Old 11-01-2020, 09:22 PM   #16
eregan
Board Member

Here is a update on the 240!

Not much new on the outside. Only change is some spacers for the rear while I'm running the drift spares.

Big changes on the inside! I got a Corbeau bucket in along with a nice Momo wheel (with R-Sport horn button). It is unbelievable how much better this has made driving the car. Happy to be rid of the airbag from 1992 as well.

350mm wheel with 72mm of dish.

My buddy helped me weld up the Corbeau to the stock 240 seat rail. It still has full stock adjustment which is fantastic.

Under the hood i got rid of the AC condenser. It allowed me to get rid of the old airbox, and just shove a pipe with cone filter right out to the grille.

i decided it's time to mess around with the STS cam gear, so I had redblockpowered help with the tune. We ended up adding about 4* of advance which really helped smooth things out in the lower RPMs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxSj...ature=youtu.be

Video of some WOT. You can really notice when the cam comes on.

What I still have planned for the car is 4.10 gears. I got a ring and pinion off of ebay so when I'm feeling froggy I'll try my luck and put em' in.

Last edited by eregan; 11-01-2020 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: messed up image links
Old 11-02-2020, 07:07 PM   #17
klr142
Turbo, what?

Yeehaw! What're you revving it out to?

I just noticed you have "poly pretty much everywhere". If you have it in your torque rods and lower trailing arm, that's reducing your axle's ability to articulate and will contribute to inside wheel spin when accelerating out of corners.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:59 PM   #18
redblockpowered
cone dodging dilettante

I think it's still at the stock redline, maybe a little more. This car goes pretty well. Lowering the car can also contribute to traction issues.
redblockpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 12:59 AM   #19
eregan
Board Member

Quote:
Yeehaw! What're you revving it out to?

I just noticed you have "poly pretty much everywhere". If you have it in your torque rods and lower trailing arm, that's reducing your axle's ability to articulate and will contribute to inside wheel spin when accelerating out of corners.
Stock redline, the tach is reading 6k. I've considered a higher redline but I don't think the cam has a significant amount more for it to be worth messing with.

The lower trailing arms are still rubber. I've been pretty satisfied with the suspension set up. I run standard KYB Gas shocks in the rear so that may offset the poly bushes stiffness. Even when I had insane rake the wheelspin wasn't too bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKh8...ature=youtu.be
You do have me thinking it may be worth softening up the rear end now though.

Also, not sure I ever posted this but it does occasionally spit flames!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzhC...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-03-2020, 01:19 AM   #20
eregan
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblockpowered View Post
I think it's still at the stock redline, maybe a little more. This car goes pretty well. Lowering the car can also contribute to traction issues.
I'm considering gutting out the rest of the interior to get the car quicker. At one point I actually had this car pretty high and mighty, got plenty of dents in the gas tank taking it off road.

Could it be a Volvo that still has it's dignity on Turbobricks?

I would like to go for a front coilover setup and mess with various rear springs. For now this build remains very budget in the spring department with some cut IPD springs. But I really do need to give the car a proper drive where i can feel out where the suspension is lacking, its been a while. I gotta get my Indy 500's back on first.
Old 11-03-2020, 03:44 PM   #21
klr142
Turbo, what?

I've been running cut lowering springs on my 244 for over 10 years. It's not ideal, by any stretch, but it is "ok". The front suspension bottoms out with a crash over larger bumps/potholes and so on, otherwise it rides nicely for the most part depending on what shocks I have installed at the moment. Nothing wrong with the KYB shocks except the may be a bit soft. I wouldn't soften anything up back there, except swap out poly torque rod bushings for the earlier torque rods with the smaller, solid rubber bushings. That's what I did on my car.

That Mexico video also makes me cringe with the stock gearing, AND the wheelspin that I would say IS so bad, haha. That 3.31 rear end though, no good for performance, at all! The QSRCs from Ben help a good bit with the inside wheel spin though, so that's helping out for certain.

I'd up the rev limit a little bit so you can go a little higher before shifting out of 1st and maybe 2nd gear, but I agree that your setup and that camshaft is not doing much past 6,000rpm anyway.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:02 PM   #22
eregan
Board Member

Quote:
That Mexico video also makes me cringe with the stock gearing, AND the wheelspin that I would say IS so bad, haha. That 3.31 rear end though, no good for performance, at all! The QSRCs from Ben help a good bit with the inside wheel spin though, so that's helping out for certain.

I'd up the rev limit a little bit so you can go a little higher before shifting out of 1st and maybe 2nd gear, but I agree that your setup and that camshaft is not doing much past 6,000rpm anyway.
I've got the 4.10 ring in pinion sitting in a box waiting to go in. Most of the wheelspin in that video was due to the wagon springs in the rear, while i was running cut IPD springs in the front (I was waiting to cut the rear IPD springs before putting them in). Would I just tune it into the chip to increase the rev limiter?
Old 11-03-2020, 06:30 PM   #23
klr142
Turbo, what?

Yeah, I saw you had that R&P sitting around. Get ready to not use 1st gear much anymore! Hah.

For the rev limiter, there's a limit in the fuel chip and another in the ignition chip, so it'll have to be changed in both for it to work.
Old 12-16-2020, 05:05 AM   #24
eregan
Board Member

Update! Met with Redblockpowered and got a chipped gold EZK in. Redline is now 6600.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axbd2YBpn0s

Put some LEDs in the interior.

Will hopefully be getting some help from a local shop re-gearing, 3 old Volvo masters working there.

Got some old 15x7 et12 MSW wheels to help with wheel clearance up front, rides a hell of a lot nicer than with the Pontiache wheels I had up front. 185/55/R15 SS595 tires.

Last edited by eregan; 12-16-2020 at 05:17 AM.. Reason: Added more images
Old 12-16-2020, 10:03 AM   #25
shoestring
Board Member

Just reading this now, thanks for the shoutout! Hearing this car run out makes me want to climb back in the race car...
I AM THE MODAL AMERICAN. Planet money #936.
shoestring is offline   Reply With Quote