home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 08-24-2008, 08:45 PM   #1
Josepilove
Board Member

Default Replaced clutch...now she wont start...

Replaced the clutch on my 244+t the other day....it went fine, then it really sucked at starting..it took a lot of cranks to get it going, but it would start. Then it started taking more cranks to start and it was telling me that the TPS, ECT and MAF were missing or bad...After clearing those codes only the MAF came back and i found out that it was actually broken, so i replaced it with a 012 that i had laying around.

Now I cannot get the car to start. I have replace the engine speed sensor, because the tach wasnt jumping...but the speedo was....now with the new sensor its still not jumping and the speedo still IS JUMPING. Now...this has the electrical speedo, so is that telling me something? Any help here would be awesome....i should also mention that the battery is very dead now...i have to hook up jumper cables to test it(even to pull codes) even after leaving the cables on for 10 minutes, once i take them off i get absolutely nothing. i have a multimeter in the mail, but i hope i can get some tips from you guys. thanks
Josepilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

Did you take off the flywheel when you did the clutch? If you did it's critically important to put it back on in proper alignment. If you didn't put it back on properly that could be your starting issues.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 430k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:50 PM   #3
lane stradler
Board Member

a dead or dying battery will make the speedo jumpy... get a different battery and see if speedo still jumps.
lane stradler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:57 AM   #4
Josepilove
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
Did you take off the flywheel when you did the clutch? If you did it's critically important to put it back on in proper alignment. If you didn't put it back on properly that could be your starting issues.
Yea, thats what happened first, but then i got it sorted out...at least i think i did. If it was misaligned it wouldnt start at all right? because i was able to get it to start a few times and once it started it would run awesome.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:22 PM   #5
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Maybe the engine sagged downward when the trans was out and did something to the engine harness, or the plugs?
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:47 PM   #6
Josepilove
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
Maybe the engine sagged downward when the trans was out and did something to the engine harness, or the plugs?
thats what i was thinking, but i am hoping for a place to start other than checking continuity between sensors and computer on every wire.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:53 PM   #7
JohnMc
PV Abuser

There are all those plugs on the firewall where the engine harness hooks to the body harness. I'm not sure if my 240 is normal or not (swapped B230FT from a 940 in it that P.O. did) but they are over on the right rear corner of the engine compartment. Pretty well isolated from any engine movement there, though. The engine harness leads over the the center of the firewall and down to the engine from there (near the dipstick tube), it's possible that part could have gotten tugged pretty well.
JohnMc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:42 AM   #8
Josepilove
Board Member

i did the socket 6 diagnosis thing, and TPS check out ok, but i couldnt ever get the code for the RPM sensor...this is a brand new sensor that i put in 2 minutes before the test. I also have continuity between the EZK and the sensor.