• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Need Advice on current project, gen 4 chevy and 4L80E turbo

moUoXy2h.jpg

Let me tell you how I know this won't work, lol...

(first few drives on my swap featured burnt wires, and I was a lot more careful than this!)

Last edited:
PS: The dipstick was another one of those things that was harder to do than I would have thought. The stock one didn't come close to fitting around the headrs. I initially got the same dipstick they used - and routed it close to (but not touching) the wrapped turbo header. And it melted internally and leaked oil, and was a small contributor to one of the tiny little fires I had on the first drives, in conjunction with some burning spark plug wires.

After trying various things, I finally resorted to taking some copper tubing of the correct length, and then spent hours carefully bending it in a convoluted shape that goes up past the starter, then back along the block to behind the header, near the firewall. All without making a bend so sharp that the dipstick wouldn't slide in cleanly. Then a little swage at the bottom, and in with some sealant. It's worked so far.

I tried a vareity of spark plug wire routings. Initially I used long wires and had them all going around one end of the header (back end on passenger side, front end on driver) - but the bundle was a bit snug where it went under the header and wires melted there. After trial an error, I ended up with a mix of wires. Some straight ceramic plugs, some 135 degree, some 90 degree. And one or two long wires still snaking around.

In retrospect, probably would have been much easier to use the truck headers the motor came with, flipped around forward, and fab up the turbo stuff from that. Another PITA thing on my headers is that you have to remove them to get to the spark plugs. I guess you don't have to mess with plugs all that much, but still, PITA.

So just to chime in, are you on azvolvos yet? There are a few ls turbo swaps happening in phoenix, mesa, tempe, AJ and Queen creek by locals so there is def some info around about doing it right.

edit: also what shop was this? I'd say I don't want to give bad pr to shops local but damn there is so much wrong with this, I could of done a v8 swap on my wrecked 740 and made it look better...

Last edited:
Back