home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 08-29-2008, 01:52 PM   #1
Mueller
Board Member

Default Axle spline damage..abuse or too many miles?? pic

car has 426,000 miles, no idea if rear end or axles have ever been replaced or not....

anyways, noticed that the pinion had a lot of backlash and figured it was worn or damaged where it meshes with the ring gear...nope, nice and tight....pulled the axles and noticed the damaged splines...both look like the pic.

not sure if I should try and find a low mileage donor car or what??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg axle spline damage.jpg (63.3 KB, 86 views)
Old 08-29-2008, 02:50 PM   #2
doeboy
Board Member

are you still running the original engine in that car? thats an awesome amount of miles volvo ftw
doeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
Mueller
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doeboy View Post
are you still running the original engine in that car? thats an awesome amount of miles volvo ftw

i was...just toasted the motor a few months back, head is cracked badly, from the combustion chamber right to the water jacket

car shows it's age, just about everything needs replacemnt....it's had at least 3 or more tranmissions, has mis-matched front struts (one is small bearing, other large bearing)
Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
SteveMD
Membro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueller View Post
i was...just toasted the motor a few months back, head is cracked badly, from the combustion chamber right to the water jacket

car shows it's age, just about everything needs replacemnt....it's had at least 3 or more tranmissions, has mis-matched front struts (one is small bearing, other large bearing)
That may be normal spline wear for the mileage. What's the diffy oil change history like?

Did those mis-matched front struts also have mis-matched brakes?
SteveMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
Mueller
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteve View Post
That may be normal spline wear for the mileage. What's the diffy oil change history like?

Did those mis-matched front struts also have mis-matched brakes?
no idea on the oil change, knowing my father-in-law, only when something broke back there....

for the brakes, same brakes (early 2 port) on both sides, I didn't find out until I went to change the wheel bearings and noticed the drivers side bearings are bigger...
Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:58 AM   #6
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

I'd agree that considering the mileage and that the oil was never changed that's probably normal wear and tear on there. Most likely not ideal if you want to put more power through it but OK for stock levels.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 430k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote