• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The Buchka 242 Fake Racecar

I think ours is an 80s model. Final bid price was $1225. That included a pedal, an air cooled torch, a ground clamp, and a power cable. I think it got shill bid for a couple of hundred bucks extra, but even at $1225 I think it was a good deal.

The fan doesn't have a thermostat, so it's loud as all hell. I'm going to build something up for that. We've also got all the parts collected for a homebrew watercooler setup (pump, heat exhanger, watercooled torch, and tank materials).

Yeah, these machines, and what people don't realize, is that they are awesome. And pretty easy to work on. I was lucky enough to find mind on craigslist, guys said 1475 and I didn't think twice.

I'm not sure my fan ever goes on... (it has a thermo) but I'm not very good with the machine yet soooo it hasn't been run too much yet LOL.

I also am doing the home brew water cooling. I, however, bought my tank because, again, I am not good enough haha. But yeah, picked up a WT - 20R on eBay from IOC (Indiana Oxygen Company) with the AK4 accessory kit. Such an awesome little torch to hold compared to the CK 17 Air cooled.

I went with a diaphram pump to start (not a bevcon type). Supposed to be able to keep 40-50PSI. So we'll see.

I can't wait to see what you guys make outta that shop! Put bigger shops to shame.

The fan doesn't have a thermostat, so it's loud as all hell. I'm going to build something up for that. We've also got all the parts collected for a homebrew watercooler setup (pump, heat exhanger, watercooled torch, and tank materials).

FWIW - I am fairly certain Miller sell a retrofit kit for Synch 250's to convert to a tstat controlled fan. Dunno what the cost is like- if it's not too grossly overpriced it may be the cleanest/simplest solution though.

FWIW - I am fairly certain Miller sell a retrofit kit for Synch 250's to convert to a tstat controlled fan. Dunno what the cost is like- if it's not too grossly overpriced it may be the cleanest/simplest solution though.

I thought I had read about this at one point:

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=25535

It isn't a retro kit, but it's what other people did. One person did elude to it with a link to a broken PDF. So they definitely did make one, not sure if they still do.

Yeah, there's a kit, but as 550 said, it's been NLA for some time. Even if you could buy it, I'm not sure I would want it. It's just a simple on-off deal where the fan is either off or running at full blast. I want a speed controlled fan that can turn faster as temperatures rise. I think it could be a fun primer on circuits that interface with mains power.

There's not much point in speed modulating it or anything, as it will barely ever run when doing car stuff. Way overkill. I've used lots of them with fan on demand, it barely ever runs the fan.

There's not much point in speed modulating it or anything, as it will barely ever run when doing car stuff. Way overkill. I've used lots of them with fan on demand, it barely ever runs the fan.

To think, I just thought mine never ran because it sits in the corner and doesn't get used much :rofl: seriously though. Yeah. :-/

I am determined to bring my mostly-stock/lightly-modified 242 down to your shop next summer.

Where about on the Cape? I have family in Falmouth, and Yarmouth Port.

You guys did a nice job on the shop, hope he got a deal on it being left in such condition.

I still dig on whiteblocks (and technically this is still a whiteblock), but the V8 is a pretty rad motor that was just too cheap to turn down. And 300hp+ NA should provide for tons of fun.

why not go to an all aluminum ls motor? want to stay volvo powered? just was thinking about the vette tranny and how it would mate up to a ls motor... im sure the torq tube length would be wrong? maybe not?

Mesoam, the shop is in Yarmouth.

why not go to an all aluminum ls motor? want to stay volvo powered? just was thinking about the vette tranny and how it would mate up to a ls motor... im sure the torq tube length would be wrong? maybe not?

Kildea pretty much nailed it. Could go LS1, but at that point we might as well just get a Corvette, and where's the fun in that?

It's a great looking shop and a great project, guys.

Thanks!

with an xc90 motor might as well get an xc90? no? im just pulling your strings. just seems like the ls motor would be a great candidate for this and make power easier.

I'm definitely a fan of the LS1, but when 'different' is the name of the game it doesn't quite hold water. I'm also a fan of keeping it Volvo powered.

Back