home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 09-21-2019, 09:10 AM   #1
xmlhack
Board Member

Default Alternator 1972 142E

I took my bosche alternator and had it checked out. I went to an old school auto electric place. Not autozone or oreilly's, etc. The alternator is putting out 14 volts on the bench. but i only get 11.2 volts in the car. i dont see a voltage regulator on the fender well. Theres only two wires going to the alternator. The battery is brand new, but i will put it on a charge. what could it be?

I got my car started and drove it for the first time. what a blast! 😄

xmlhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:58 AM   #2
sksmith
Board Member

If it an original style Bosch alternator, the external regulator will be on the passenger side inner fender near the air cleaner housing and in front of the MAP sensor.
I'd have to look, but think there should be 3 wires, power, ground, and exciter wire.
The replacements for the old Bosch voltage regulator are smaller. Dave Barton sells an adjustable regulator that will replace the original. I believe Hiperformance Auto (Eric & Ian) probably have something, maybe even a Bosch regulator.
Steve
sksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:55 AM   #3
AndrewNance
Amateur hour!

Sort of off topic but if you ever want to update it, you can get a bracket to fit an 80A or 100A Denso from a 940 from TB member Canuck. Really solid upgrade and itíll let you ditch the external regulator to clean up the wiring over on that side.

AndrewNance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:11 AM   #4
alschnertz
Enough already!

Check the "Instruments" fuse.
I believe it's 5 amp.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:08 PM   #5
planetman
Board Member

There are supposed to be 3 and sometimes 4 wires going to the alternator.
planetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:09 PM   #6
xmlhack
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sksmith View Post
If it an original style Bosch alternator, the external regulator will be on the passenger side inner fender near the air cleaner housing and in front of the MAP sensor.
I'd have to look, but think there should be 3 wires, power, ground, and exciter wire.
The replacements for the old Bosch voltage regulator are smaller. Dave Barton sells an adjustable regulator that will replace the original. I believe Hiperformance Auto (Eric & Ian) probably have something, maybe even a Bosch regulator.
Steve
i looked all over the passenger inner fender well. not only did i not find a voltage regulator, i didnt even see a mounting hole where one might have been.. i will look again. car is locked in at my indies garage. it wont be til monday i can look again..thx for the advice
Old 09-21-2019, 01:23 PM   #7
xmlhack
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alschnertz View Post
Check the "Instruments" fuse.
I believe it's 5 amp.
i will check that on monday. My 72 is at my friends garage downtown. thx
Old 09-21-2019, 01:27 PM   #8
xmlhack
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetman View Post
There are supposed to be 3 and sometimes 4 wires going to the alternator.
there's 4 pins on the back of the alternator, but only power and the ignition switch are hooked up.. the other two pins arent connected to anything?
Old 09-21-2019, 01:32 PM   #9
xmlhack
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewNance View Post
Sort of off topic but if you ever want to update it, you can get a bracket to fit an 80A or 100A Denso from a 940 from TB member Canuck. Really solid upgrade and itíll let you ditch the external regulator to clean up the wiring over on that side.

thats clean. i dont have that bracket. so thats not whats going on
Old 09-21-2019, 03:47 PM   #10
xmlhack
Board Member

here's a picture. i think this is an internal voltage regulator. since the alternator checked out, the fuse is the next thing to check.

https://imgur.com/4V12PYO

Last edited by xmlhack; 09-21-2019 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: fixing image
Old 09-21-2019, 04:29 PM   #11
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

Yes, that alternator has an internal regulqator upgrade. However, you will still need to connect the large red battery wire to the + or B+ terminal. The terminal marked D+ gets the small red wire from the dash. Not sure what you do with the other connections. Maybe no connection needed with the internal regulator.

This recent thread has a good description of how the small red exciter wire works. It's the connection coming from the bulb in the dash. https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=350999

Last edited by dl242gt; 09-21-2019 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: add thread and comment
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 04:52 PM   #12
hiperfauto
The Librarian

That's not a Volvo alternator. The connector looks like this Mercedes alternator.

hiperfauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 05:19 PM   #13
xmlhack
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
Yes, that alternator has an internal regulqator upgrade. However, you will still need to connect the large red battery wire to the + or B+ terminal. The terminal marked D+ gets the small red wire from the dash. Not sure what you do with the other connections. Maybe no connection needed with the internal regulator.

This recent thread has a good description of how the small red exciter wire works. It's the connection coming from the bulb in the dash. https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=350999
please be the fuse, please be the fuse

Old 09-21-2019, 05:38 PM   #14
xmlhack
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post

That's not a Volvo alternator. The connector looks like this Mercedes alternator.
Now that I think about it, the connector was spliced in. The large wire (B+) had 12 volts without the key on. D+ had 12 volts with the key on.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:42 PM   #15
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

Good that is correct. The B+ is always hot and unfused to the battery +. So always handle with care. Key on. The D+ has 12v on it if you measure it disonnected from alternator. Measure from the wire to ground with voltmeter. But if you touch it to ground it should light the bulb.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:02 PM   #16
xmlhack
Board Member

I took the alternator out and had it tested by Ace Auto Electric. He said it was in perfect shape. I bought a new belt and reinstalled the alternator. Started it up and everything is fine now Charging great. Those Mercedes alternators with the internal voltage regulators work great.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:00 PM   #17
sksmith
Board Member

Can you PM me some pics of how you have that bolted up to the engine?
I'd like to see how that fits, if you have any spacers, and the alignment of your belt.
Thanks.
sksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:39 PM   #18
xmlhack
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sksmith View Post
Can you PM me some pics of how you have that bolted up to the engine?
I'd like to see how that fits, if you have any spacers, and the alignment of your belt.
Thanks.
The shop is closed until monday. The large pivot bolt bolts the alternator directly to the block. It appears to be the original 19 mm bolt. No spacer at all. Not sure if the hole in the alternator was opened up, but the bolt fits perfectly. The arm for holding the alternator and keeping tension on the belt is bolted to the block (13 mm) just under the thermostat housing. Im pretty sure its in the stock location. The arm itself has a bend forward. The arm is fastened behind the ear on the alternator. The bolt goes through the alternator through the arm. The alignment of the belt is fine. There is no noticeable misalignment. And finally the plug is spliced into the cars wiring. I will try to get pictures next week. I think both volvo and mb used bosch alternators. I think they may be direct replacements