• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Accessory bell chimes while driving and with turn signals

122power

dude
Where have all the quad squares gone? VV,Ca
Have a 1988 240 that the acc bell chimes when im driving, intermittently chimes or most of the time. Also comes on with headlight switch when headlights are on. Also when i use the turn signals lol. Swapped another ign switch in but still does it. Seeing if anyone has had this issue before i go digging.

Do the fasten seatbelt lights (if not burnt out) turn on for a few seconds when the chime misbehaves?

Try spinning the chime fuse (#13?). I think the chime ground goes to the steering column and then to the tunnel - see the ground wire shown in this thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=351711 If the ground seems good, try replacing the chime with a junkyard one (they're pricey new), or just unplug it.

If it is intermittent, try wiggling the key. When my daughter's chime started dinging (91 244) with the engine running, she told me she has to jiggle the ignition key and some accessory (can't remember which) starts working again, the OD-OFF light goes out, and the chime quits.

Here's the logic for the noisemaker if you're into tracing mysteries:

chimeDwg02.jpg

Is your bulb out light on also? Check your taillight grounds and make sure the bulbs "match" side to side.

Another thing, does the time delay for the dome light work? If not, check the brake light fuse and the wiring to make sure that there's power going to the brake pedal switch. That is, if the 1988 cars are old enough to have it wired like a 1980-85 GL, GLT or Turbo, or GLE, etc...

I just went through something like this on my 960. the chime would go off at things like opening the glove box, any door, trunk, hood, lighted sun visor and other functions. At 1st I snipped the wires to the little speaker inside the relay.

The issue was fixed when I replaced the chime relay.

Back